“Could use some improvements!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Union Hill Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sonora
Union Hill Inn
You added Union Hill Inn to your Saves list
21645 Parrotts Ferry Road, Sonora, CA 95370   |
Ranked #4 of 11 Sonora B&B and Inns
Arlington VA
“Could use some improvements!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Spent a weekend there in one of the rooms in conjunction with a wedding Friday afternoon into Sunday afternoon.

The place is offers a lovely setting (although the traffic noises can be quite loud; the place sits right on the road) and the rooms are quite comfortable, although a little too chock-a-block with nick-knacks, pillows and such for our tastes.

There were coffee makers in all the rooms, but no filters or coffee. I asked the owner, who acted as if I was the first person who ever asked about having coffee in the room (then why the coffee makers?!). She didn't offer any packets, ad assured me that coffee would be available in the breakfast room at 0730...it wasn't.

The announced 1030 Sunday brunch, held in a room that was strictly off-limits to our party until the appointed time, was late; we ended up sitting around until 1100 before things got underway. Again, no coffee available anywhere until then.

I paid for the room with a credit card, only to find out after the fact that my charge was 10% more than those who, having gotten advance notice, paid in cash. When I questioned the charge, the owner said it had something to do with 'tourism taxes'. She begrudgingly refunded me $30 and made me feel like an ingrate for even questioning the practice.

I would have to disagree with some of the early comments describing the owners as the most pleasant innkeepers one could ever want to meet.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sacramento, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I spent the past weekend participating in a wedding ceremony at the Union Hill Inn. I was a grand time in a very country setting. The Inn is a renovated hog farm, that is now a beautiful setting for a nice get away weekend. The proprietors and wonderful people that do their best to take care of your needs. Their Sunday Brunch was spectacular with mouth watering recipes that kept you craving more. The main home is adorned with comfy period furniture making it a delightful area to relax and chat with others. Remember, as nice as it is inside, its country and beautiful outside.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Once again my wife and I decided to come to Sonora and stay at the Union Hill Inn. We've always had a great Experience. Both Barbara and Don are the most Pleasant innkeepers one could ever want to meet. They treat you like family, allowed full access to all Areas of the property and in general provide you with a wonderful experience. We have dined with them, and have found Barbara's Culinary skills To be wonderful. The Unionhill in is not for the fast and furious crowd. It is a place of charm and beauty With a sophisticated touch of class. Come visit The Union Hill Inn some time and find out yourself How relaxing and wonderful the atmosphere really is. You won't regret it.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Fremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This past weekend my niece was married at Union Hill Inn. From the time we got there, until the time we left, Barbra and her staff were there for each and every need. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms, either at the inn itself or in each separate cabin, were decorated down to the finest detail.The food was top rated. I would highly, highly recommend the site for a wedding or any event were a number of persons need to stay together.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Diamond Springs, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We spent the weekend at the inn as guests of a wedding. The grounds are beautiful, the chapel and reception hall are wonderful as is the main inn. However, the rooms need some work. The room we stayed in needed a good cleaning. Everything was so dusty you could smell it, the carpets need cleaning and the floors need moping, the lighting also needs updating. The TV should also be replaced with a more up to date model. The bathroom jetted tub needs a good cleaning and needs to be resurfaced. The mattress was absolutely the worst we have ever slept on. The place is really old and it is time for some updating and maintenance.

Barbara and Don the owners are lovely people and like the rest of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The saturday breakfast and Sunday brunch were really nice, ever thing was fresh and delicious.

We understand that the Union Hill is booked thru 2013, hopefully they will find the time in between events to take care of the much needed cleaning and updating of the rooms. If they do they will have a real winner.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I had my wedding here in August of 2012. We rented the entire inn and had our true dream wedding. Our families traveled from the San Francisco Bay Area and Los Angeles and believe me they all complained about the long drive, but once they saw the grounds and experienced the beauty of the entire property, they soon forgot.

The rooms in the Inn and the cottages are clean, cozy and charming. Our favorite cottage is the willow room, but wherever you stay you'll be happy. When we first arrived Barbara welcomed us and showed each guest to their room. We also found fresh baked cookies on each of our beds, this was a nice touch. The rest of the wedding weekend Barbara and Don stayed out of the way and allowed us the freedom to enjoy the property however we pleased. If we had any questions or needed something they were easy to find. They are excellent hosts and have got entertaining down to a science!

We had our rehearsal dinner under the canopy near the hall, a movie out on the lawn and then the wedding party chilled in the pool till the wee morning hours. Oh and the chapel, it's unlike any other ceremony space. The brunch and and breakfast served up by Barbara and her staff were some of my favorite memories from the weekend. The food was beautifully setup and delicious! My husband is a vegetarian, Barbara really considered him when creating the menu, another testament to their excellent service. These gatherings allowed all the close family staying on the property to get together each day to relax and enjoy each other's company.

In the year leading up to the wedding you really spend some time on the phone and in-person with Barbara. Barbara was always willing to help, she shared recommendations and ideas and it is evident how hard she and Don work to maintain the property. They are delightful, genuine people. My husband and I are hoping go back each year for anniversaries! Overall we had a wonderful experience planning our wedding here. There was nothing I would change, the venue was perfect, the service was excellent and the location offered a range of activities for our guests and their various interests.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I were married at union hill inn in November 2011. It is such a treasure. We experienced none of the problems others have written about. We had such a wonderful experience. Barbara and Don are so sweet and helpful, and their dogs are amazing as well. I can't wait to go back. I believe that this is one of the best values around when it comes to a wedding venue.

• Stayed November 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
BEST WESTERN PLUS Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
Aladdin Motor Inn
Aladdin Motor Inn
#3 of 8 in Sonora
4.0 of 5 stars 93 reviews

Been to Union Hill Inn? Share your experiences!