“Dont let the other reviews scare you” 4 of 5 stars

The Gold Lodge
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   480 West Stockton Street, Sonora, CA 95370   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Placerville, California
“Dont let the other reviews scare you”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I booked this room without looking at the reviews~ dumb, I know. Anyways, I went back online to see what check in time was & found horrible reviews. I was scared to death. I called trying to find other rooms but there werent any. I finally decided to call them and ask about the reviews I had read & asked her to convince me it was all going to be ok. She assured me that all is well & we would be fine. I kept the reservation. We went on with our plans to see Yosemite. We came to the room at about 10:30pm or so. The man at the desk said he had tried to call me three times that night to make sure I was in fact coming because he had three opportunities to rent the room to other families. Thankfully he didnt. The room isnt the Ritz Carlton but it is certainly nothing like what the other reviewers stated!!! I would not be fearful to stay there again!!! I would, however, not recommend staying here if you plan on going back & forth to Yosemite. Its further than it looks on a map! Bottom Line.... You CAN stay here!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Los Gatos
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

In the middle of the night a vibration noise woke us up, we called the front desk after waiting for the noise to stop, the attendant stated that it 's the dryer, he stopped it but it didn 't help, he later found out that it was a loose water pipe hitting the wall from the vibration, I asked for a partial credit and the answer was negative.
I also found a couple used soap bars from previous renters, the place does stink

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Nehalem, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We found the room to be clean - far better than the Motel 6 we had stayed in the previous night. The bed was comfortable - everything was clean and fresh. We stayed two nights while visiting in the area. Cofffee pot, coffee and a microwave in the room. Internet service also. We had breakfast there - very good! Hot coffee or tea, breakfast rolls and a microwave to heat them if you wished - hot and cold cereals with milk and a choice of juice. We were surprised to read people weren't happy with the Gold Lodge.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
El Dorado Hills, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Stayed at the Gold Lodge while doing a festival in December. Kind of cute on the outside right? Wrong, Changed the first room, The odor was so bad it actually brought tears to my eyes. Smelled like Cheap carpet deoderizer covering up stinky smelly feet. Had to be shown the special knack of how to work the heating system. Yikes! Second room I was moved to.....Vertical Blinds with tape on them holding them together. You could see through the slates so I hung clothes in front of the window. Rooms from probably 1960's Never updated or carpet changed. Spill marks on the walls. Hypodermic needle between the wall and the Vanity....This place should be shut down. All other Hotels were booked in the area had to stay. UGG! Slept with one eye open.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

It's already been said, but the place is a DUMP! We made the mistake of arriving in Sonora late without a reservation during an event weekend. We got the room and immediately went out to eat without checking the room. By the time we got back it was very late and there was no where else to go. If we hadn't been travelling in a very, very small car we would have chosen to sleep in it. Seriously, stay elsewhere. This place is bad, bad, bad!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
redditch worcestershire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

We were on our road trip from San francisco to Yosimite park after driveing all day we thought we should find somwere to sleep before going on to the park
so we pulled into Sonora,nice little town
We booked into the Gold Lodge just outside the town.
We got the key to the room walked in and o my god
air con unit was falling off the wall there was a smell about the place floor was dirty
and the bathroom well i wouldnt wash my dog in it.
all i can say is dont book into this one

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010 via mobile

If this was the last hotel, we would sleep in our car! We arrived late after an event, but our room was so creepy we left and found another hotel in town.Old cast iron heater full of dirt/cobwebs, spiders on wall, peeling beat-up furniture, totally old and creepy! High priced because across from fairgrounds, but absolutely not worth it! Even though we didn't sleep there, only gave us 1 night refund. The offer breakfast, but after seeing the condition of the room, no way would I eat any food there!

• Stayed June 2010

Been to The Gold Lodge? Share your experiences!