“Perfect place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Metro NYC
“Perfect place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We chose this hotel during the "Northern CA/Wine country" leg of our California road trip. It suited our needs perfectly; proximity to locations of interest (Napa/Sonoma attractions, Santa Rosa, etc.). The included hot breakfast is hearty and offers something for everyone (the automatic pancake maker is fascinating...I'd never seen one before). You have to walk outside and across a parking lot to get it, but it's not a huge deal - at least it wasn't to us. The first morning of our stay there was one room where the breakfast was served and not enough tables, so many people ended up eating outside during peak times (and it was chilly) or taking food back to their rooms. The second morning they had opened up a wall partition so that there was plenty of indoor space to eat, which was good that they were paying attention and making adjustments. Accommodations are decent and comfortable, which is really all you need because you're most likely not coming to hang out in your hotel room all day with so much to do and see! The fireplace was a cute little surprise; we used it the second night of our stay. We went to an AWESOME restaurant called Cafe la Haye for dinner one night; highly recommended. Oh, and there's a Whole Foods across the street as part of a little outdoor mall. Definitely a great thing! For the category below I chose "friends" but it was actually a trip with my mom (who is my friend, but a different kind of friend than my social friends).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

KendallC929, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Globetrotter71,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a kind review of your experience while at our property.
I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast. We offer many options for our guests for all of our guests and we are always pleased to hear when our guests enjoy it.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your room. Our fireplaces are great additions that will make any evening even cozier!
I’m so glad that you were able to enjoy our location. Our location is perfect for visiting the Historic Plaza, and also across the street from Whole Foods. Perfect for a convenience!
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and we hope that you will stay with us again soon.
Kendall Comfort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Nutley, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Overall, this hotel was a good value, and has some very good features: excellent location, plentiful parking, surprisingly good continental breakfast! Reception was efficient and genuinely friendly. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable, and bonus: it had a refrigerator. Beds were VERY comfortable. All rooms open onto a pretty central courtyard, and our 2nd floor room had a private balcony. Though we did not use it, there was a fireplace.

The negatives: We had no hot water. The front desk said that the boiler was on the far side of the property from our room and that it takes longer for the water to arrive there---but my husband and I BOTH took cold showers, and still the water did not arrive. That's a pretty long time to run water in drought stricken California were we to have done so! The second day, I still had a cold shower which turned barely puke-warm at the end. My husband said he had a warm shower. This was a HUGE negative. Negative #2: All rooms are off a central courtyard which means it was noisy. I did not mind during the day, but when there was still lots of laughter and loud conversations after 10PM, I was annoyed. Finally, at 3AM the first night, I was awoken by the strong smell of smoke! It was scary! Turns out that somehow the smell of campfire entered our room--whether from a neighbor's fireplace or from the fire pit in the central courtyard, I do not know, but we smelled it strongly the second night as well. Not pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the boiler so you have hot water! 2nd floor rooms have private balconies...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear sundaygirl12,
Thank you for taking the time to write a kind review of our property. I am happy to hear that our rooms were comfortable, spacious and clean and that you liked our beds. I am also happy to hear that our front desk was very friendly and efficient. We take pride in our customer service and always hope to provide and excellent experience for our guests.
I am so sorry to hear about the negative points that you encountered during your stay.
I am sorry that you encountered noise at night during your stay. We always encourage all of our guests to contact the Front Desk immediately if there are noise issues. The pool and courtyard area has a strict 10pm curfew and we would have been happy to ask the guests making noise to leave the courtyard.
In response to your review, we have already had the problem fixed regarding the water temperature. I am very sorry that this situation occurred during your stay, as this is an obvious inconvenience and I assure you that this problem has been promptly addressed and fixed.
Thank you very much for your review and I hope that you will consider staying with us again soon.
Jeffersonville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

The staff was exceptionally nice and accommodating! The grounds are pretty and inviting. The breakfast was just so-so, but better than most for this type of setting. The coffee, tea, and water station in the lobby was great.

Room Tip: The upstairs noise can be heard on the ground floor-sometimes.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Skeeses,
Thank you for your review. Its nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We recently just redid most of our landscaping so its very nice to know that you noticed it! We really try to offer little touches everywhere to enhance the experience and it pleases me to know that it makes a little difference!
We look forward to having you as our guest again!

Best Regards
Tiburon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

My family & I stayed here with visiitng family and the rooms were clean & comfy. The pool was great with easy & secure access. Also this hotel is in great location (walking distance) a block away from the plaza. Although I did ot get a connecting room like I requested.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Evelyn B,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Our pool and garden area is a beautiful and relaxing area for all of our guests to enjoy. I am so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy it. Our location is ideal for enjoying our beautiful Historic Sonoma Plaza, just one block away. We are a short drive from many wineries as well.
I am sorry to hear that we were unable to accommodate connecting rooms. Unfortunately, there are times that we are unable to honor every guest request but I assure you that we do everyone in our power to do so.
Thank you very much for your kind review and we hope to see you again soon.
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

My friend was getting married nearby and I needed a place to stay in Sonoma for the weekend. The hotel is in a very convenient location and I believe its an execllent deal/good value given its central location. I found my room to be clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was relatively small, but it was also clean and the shower had good water pressure. The front desk staff were helpful and provided me with easy-to-follow directions. Having also looked into staying at other competitors in the area, I have no regrets that I ultimately chose to stay here. I would not recommend staying here as part of a lengthy vacation spent visiting the local vineyards, but if you're coming into town for a wedding and want an affordable play to stay the weekend, this Best Western is a fine choice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear AndyS256,
Thank you for your kind review.
I am delighted to hear that my front desk staff was helpful and friendly. We strive to provide a wonderful experience for our guests. I am happy to hear that our rooms were comfortable. Sonoma is a wonderful town to visit, and we are so lucky to be centrally located just one block from the Historic Sonoma Plaza.
Thank you again for taking the time to write this kind review.
We hope that you will stay with us again soon.
Chicago, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

This is not a very fancy-looking hotel, but it was turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. My daughter had stayed there and had highly recommended it, and I can see why. The rooms are nice, very clean and the courtyard/pool area is lovely. Breakfast is satisfactory.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Jennifer B,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our property.
We take great pride in the cleanliness of our rooms and our public areas. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time here. I hope that you will stay with us again soon.
Calistoga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

The Sonoma Valley Inn is NOT a high priced luxury hotel. What it is a very nice, clean and very comfortable hotel in a great location. Rooms are good sized and the beds and linens very nice and fresh. The staff is friendly and helpful and you can't beat the location right off the Plaza. You could easily spend twice as much and not do better.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
KendallC929, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Calistoga Grower,
Thank you for your review. I am so glad that you were able to enjoy our hotel and it amenities. I am also pleased to hear that you found us to be a great value and a great location. We are fortunate to be located so close to the Sonoma Plaza.
I truly hope you will stay with us again
Best Regards
Kendall Comfort

Been to BEST WESTERN Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center? Share your experiences!