“Good value in an expensive place.” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Guelph, Canada
“Good value in an expensive place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed three nights for a Sonoma getaway. Hotel is conveniently located near centre of town. Check in was quick and friendly, if perhaps a little too efficient. Rooms have to be accessed from outside, and once we found parking (it's a challenge) we did make the trek to the room okay. No elevators, and walkways are not fantastic.

Room was enormous, but dark. We had a king opening up to a small balcony pool-side. It was clean and spacious. Bed was comfortable, though could have used a newer set of bedding. This would be true of much in the room -- overused, hard-used, long-used. Carpet, furniture, and bedding all showed how busy the hotel is. At least, however, it was clean.

Didn't use our fireplace because we were warm enough with August heat. A/C unit was ancient but effective. Nice to have a patio door with screen. Would like to have been able to open bathroom window, too.

Complimentary breakfast required a hike back to "event centre" building each morning, but the hours were great (7-10am) and the food good enough to get by. Staff there worked hard to meet demand, but there are a lot of guests with a lot of demands. Free coffee and tea was also available in lobby. Two wineries showed up Friday evening for complimentary tastings, a nice touch in the courtyard. Appreciated the free wi-fi and local calls, too.

Pool is small but refreshing. Hot tub also available. The "fitness room" is a closet with very little equipment -- why bother, Best Western?!

Location, price, and space made the stay memorable -- we'll return.

Room Tip: Recommend main floor rooms, if you have a lot of luggage to bring in -- no elevator!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
KendallC929, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear McMarshal,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our property. I am glad you felt that our hotel was a good value. I am sorry that it was challenging for you to find parking. Unfortunately this can happen when we are sold out, however we have a large parking lot so this is not always a problem. I’m sorry for your concern about the sidewalks. If there was any particular location that should be addressed please feel free to contact me at kendall@sonmavalleyinn.com.
I’m glad that our rooms were spacious and I apologize that you felt that it was dark in the room. I also apologize that you felt that our room was overused. We go through our property yearly to update our rooms and perhaps this one needs attention. If you are able to email the room number that you stayed in I would be very grateful.
I’m glad that the breakfast met your needs and that our staff was accommodating. I apologize that we have a modest fitness room; however we are planning to upgrade it. We hope that you will be able to stay with us again soon and thank you for your review.
Kendall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Ventura County, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

The beds were comfortable and our second floor room was quiet when the doors were shut and the air conditioner is on. The room was on the large size. Smokers on balconeys and walkways are annoying but they have no where else to go. Only nine chairs by the pool and they seemed to be always in use during the hot spell. The best part about breakfast is it is free. The pancake machine fascinated me.I must be easily amused.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear City_Girls_CA,
Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and found our beds comfortable. I want to apologize for the smokers in your area. This is a strictly non smoking property. In the future please feel free to contact the front desk so they are able to stop people from smoking immediately, as it is not allowed on our property. I am sorry that there was not enough seating in the pool area. We will address this situation as well. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and we hope that you will be able to come back again soon.
BALTIMORE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The location was excellent but the room was just so/so. There is a working fireplace in the room which was nice but made the room smell like smoke even without using the fire place. The pool area was nice, however I wish the fire pit was open a little later. The staff wasn't very friendly and I felt like the women at the front desk was a little snobby, but maybe she was just having a bad day. Staying close to the square was a plus and had a lot of great resturants and bars however I'm not sure I would stay at this property again.

Room Tip: There is no elevator so if you have heavy luggage make sure you stay on the 1st floor
Dear Erika I,
Thank you for your honest review. I am glad that you liked the location of the hotel. However, I apologize that you did not enjoy the room. The fireplaces are a wonderful amenity, but I can see if you are not using it, it is not a value. For the future, we have rooms without fireplaces. These rooms are our Standard King rooms.
I am very sorry to hear that the customer service was poor and I want you to know that this is not a reflection of our standards or values. I apologize again and we hope that you will reconsider, and stay with us again. Thank you for your review.
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here for just one night. This is a motel style building with doors opening to the outside. There is an interior courtyard with a pool and you have a slider that opens up to a little balcony. Rooms were not new but in good condition. Room was clean. They provide the basic necessities. We noticed that the tissues were very rough and the "spa" toiletries must have come from a Wal-mart.

Location is just a block away from the Sonoma Plaza with a number of shops restaurants and some tourist attractions.

Breakfast was included in our package but it meets the bear minimum standard and so we went across the street for a big breakfast at the Black Bear Cafe. There are also a couple of options on the square for coffee and pastries.

Room had a HD tv, but only got a few HD channels. Free wi-fi in the rooms.

Dear Ed_Kal99,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you felt the amenities were poor quality. I have not heard this complaint in the past, so I thank you for bringing it to my attention and I will be looking into this. I’m glad that you felt that the rooms were clean, as we take great pride in the cleanliness of our hotel. We also go through the property yearly to update room and keep them all in the best condition as possible.
I’m sorry that you did not enjoy the breakfast that we offer. Feel free to contact me anytime with any suggests that you may have at Kendall@sonomavalleyinn.com. Thank you again for your review and we hope that you will stay with us again soon.
Golden Valley, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

For the price you won't find better value for your money. From the moment we arrived our experience could not have been better. The front desk staff checked us in quickly and with smiles. We came back multiple times during our two day stay with questions about restaurants, running paths and the need for a wine bottle opener. Each time they were quick to help, gave some great advice and even loaned us their bottle opener for a night.

The rooms are basic but they do include a mini fridge and safe. I recommend getting a room on the second floor because you'll have a beautiful view of the courtyard from your private deck. We enjoyed sitting out on the deck, reading a book and listening to the birds.

The continental breakfast is included in the price and although it isn't elaborate, what more than cereal, coffee, juice, fruit, bacon and pancakes do you need? It was strange that the breakfast area was in an entirely different building but this is a small property so that was probably the only place they could put it.

You are in easy walking distance to the downtown area with many boutiques and restaurants, plus several grocery stores are within 1 - 3 blocks. As an aside, don't go to Catalina's Skin & Body Salon - they were extremely rude to myself and my teenage daughter. The hotel staff did not recommend this salon, we just happened upon it.

After a day of visiting wineries where we picked up food from the deli and wine, we sat in the hotel courtyard and had a wonderful, peaceful meal. The courtyard in the middle of the hotel is like a sanctuary. It's beautiful, quiet and has every amenity - a fire pit, a fountain, picnic tables, benches, a pool, a jacuzzi and is alive with all kinds of plants and flowers.

And if this isn't enough, they also offer free WiFi. One small downside was the workout room which was cramped and ice cold. If you want exercise, go for a walk/run through the beautiful streets. We would absolutely go back!

Room Tip: The second level offers nice views of the courtyard but are quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear RobinWW,
Thank you for your wonderful review. We really appreciate the time that you that took to write this honest and detailed review of our property. I am so glad that you felt our staff delivered excellent customer service and helped you with all of your needs.
I am also happy to hear that you liked our breakfast. We strive to provide as many options as possible for our guests. I am so glad that you enjoyed our convenient location to the Historic Sonoma Plaza with shopping, dining and wine tasting. I am also delighted to hear that you enjoyed our blooming garden courtyard. I am sorry to hear that the workout room was cold and cramped. There is a heater in the room that is available for your future convenience.
Thank you again for your wonderful review. Your input and suggestions are not only helpful to other Trip Advisor viewers, but also beneficial to our hotel. We hope that you will be able to stay with us again soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Nice place very central, some vineyards 5 mins away, hotel clean, friendly and close to everything you would need. Being in easy access to vineyards, and town square is perfect. Good size rooms and they have everything you need. Shopping centre across the road for any essentials you would like us handy. Would recommend this place to stay try for ground floor as easy access to car park and pool/outside area. A gem!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Brian T,
Thank you for your wonderful review. Our location, close to the plaza, vineyards, shopping and dining is perfect for our guests. We take pride in our property and ensure that our rooms and property are clean and well kept. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that you will come back to stay with us again soon.
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

There are lots of more upscale places in the Sonoma Valley than this, but if you're looking for value for your money within walking distance to the Plaza and a comfortable place to rest at night, this place is hard to beat. It even includes free laundry facilities, and while breakfast is nothing to write home about, it is included in the price. Rooms have a mini-frig, coffeemaker, and a safe.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are fairly quiet
Dear lisak12,
Thank you for your review. Our great location, just one block from the Historic Sonoma Plaza, is convenient and valuable to us and our guests. We strive to make our room welcoming and comfortable. Our free laundry facilities are a great amenity that we are happy to offer our guests. I am delighted to hear that you found our Inn comfortable and pleasant. We hope that you will be able to stay with us again soon. Thank you again for your review.
Kendall

Been to BEST WESTERN Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center? Share your experiences!