“Great food but LOUD!” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Maya Restaurant is located in Downtown Sonoma and serves Mexican cuisine. Happy Hour offered Monday to Friday: 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Pittsburgh
“Great food but LOUD!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

We recently ate at Maya on Saturday evening. We had a reservation & were seated promptly. The server failed to write down our order and so portions of our meal were wrong, but still delicious. We are not old prudes by any stretch of the imagination, but this is the loudest restaurant we have ever been to. There was an exceptionally rowdy party in the middle of the restaurant and they certainly contributed to the sound issue. It was so loud I could not hear my husband speak. The food was delicious but unfortunately the only thing I'll ever remember about this cute restaurant is how loud it was inside. It was not happy hour or especially late, either. The floor & walls obviously bounce sound around, so when you add an unruly party on top of it, it borders on ridiculous. Ridiculous that a manager didn't control this party. Ridiculous that other patrons were forced to endure their screaming & shrieking. They obviously had one too many wine tastings that day.

• Visited March 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

San Diego, CA, USA
“Good Mayan Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Maya in Sonoma had great food. Very tasty! Seemed like a family-run business. Great location as well, right on the edge of the main square. If you get sick of all the fru-fru french food in wine country, check it out for a nice change of pace.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sonoma
“Amazing food!! Wonderful presentation!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I went with my family for a special occasion. They were very respectful and very attentive to our need especially with our picky children they had no problem with their orders. Amazing food!! Wonderful presentation!! Defiantly one of my favorite places to eat in Sonoma!!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Good Mexican Food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

If you want good Mexican food in lovely downtown Sonoma head to Maya Restaurant. This is a very lively and loud restautant. When you walk in you are really hit with the noise and I know this can be an issue as you get older. Our table was near the bar but more towards the back of the restaurant so noisy but not as bad as when you first walk in.
Since the four of us ordered Margaritas right away and they brought chips as soon as you are at a table we could sort of forgive the noise but just be prepared. I would save if you have 6 in your party it would be difficult to hear everyone.

We loved what we ordered - two of us had the Mixed Grill which is loaded with vegetables -green beans, zucchini, asparagus, red peppers , shrimp, beef and chicken. It also came with rice, beans and avocado. It was filling and I actually brought some back to the hotel. Another in our party ordered the Prawn Enchiladas and one ordered the Steak Tacos. I think everyone was pretty happy with their selections. The portions are generous and you could easily share something and get something else to start.

We always "look" at the dessert menu and ended up sharing Tres Leche Cake. If you have never tried this it is delicious and worth every bite and calorie.

We had a great time and will definitely return here when we are again in Sonoma.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great food and overall pleasant experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I are in Sonoma for a little get away from everything. We arrived at our hotel and were craving Mexican food. The nice young man behind the desk recommended Maya. He said "the cook with more herbs and flavor". He was correct.

The food was very flavorful. My friend had the steak salad. The presentation was beautiful with a deconstructed look. There were large pieces of guacamole, greens, a large piece of steak and a wonderful and flavorful dressing. I had the chicken tacos. The menu talked about the cooked onions, however the onions on my taco were raw. While not exactly what i thought i was getting, it was very good.

Overall the food was great. My only complaint was that it was cold in the restaurant and we had to wear our jackets while we ate.

Visited February 2014