“Secret gem” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Highland Village, Texas, United States
“Secret gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Friendly check-in. Nicely appointed rooms, with all the necessities- good bed and bedding, TV and WiFi and frig. Beautiful, lush grounds with really pretty pool and hot tub. Nice continental+ breakfast. Staff very helpful.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Kaala S, Guest Relations Manager at El Pueblo Inn, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Hello Robyn S- thank you reviewing us!
I'm so glad that we were able to host you while you were in Sonoma.
I certainly hope that you enjoyed your stay and also hope that you will return soon!

Kaala Stewart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Clarkston, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We chose this inn from Booking.com, and didn't know exactly what to expect, since we've been fooled before by great looking website pictures that didn't match our experience. However, no problem at El Pueblo! From the moment we checked in, our stay was exceptional, beginning with Richard at the front desk. My husband can't live (or do business on the road) without an internet connection, and Richard worked late into the night getting to the root of the problem. He went so far as to connect my husband with the IT support person from their provider, to make sure things were fixed. That was way above and beyond the call of duty!!
Since we were with other family members for a vineyard wedding, we made full use of the pool and hot tub area. Everything was clean and spacious, and the lush gardens were a beautiful backdrop to the area. Speaking of the gardens...I used the fitness room early one morning, and found the ground crew hard at work checking the pool chemicals, wiping down all the tables and chairs, and sprucing up the gardens. The upkeep on the whole facility is top-notch!
Breakfast was included in our room, and while we're accustomed to some ho-hum buffets, this one was definitely several steps above. Not only were there local pastries, and fresh-squeezed juice, but I've never seen quiche on a continental buffet! The dining room was pretty small for an inn that large, but there was additional seating on the patio, again surrounded by the beautiful gardens.
While the standard two-bedroom room wasn't exceptionally large, we had a lot of storage space so we weren't tripping over our luggage or bags.
All in all, our stay at the El Pueblo Inn was the icing on the wedding cake!! I'd come back in a heartbeat, and if you're in Sonoma on a Tuesday, check out the awesome farmer's market in the square. Fresh produce, live music, and dozens of food vendors! Great fun!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lyn969,

Thank you so very much for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write us a review!
I am so glad to hear that you found our hotel pleasant and comfortable- that is what we are always striving for! We feel honored that you chose to stay with us while celebrating.
I am also glad to hear that Richard took care of your internet connection problems! So sorry there was a problem in the first place!
We hope that you will soon return to Sonoma and give us the opportunity to host you again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My fiance and I stayed here at the recommendation of a friend and we were pleased with the stay. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Our room was clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. The shower pressure was the best part of the whole place. My fiance used the pool area and said it was very nice. There were several wedding parties staying at the hotel which made for a loud late-night, but overall it was quiet. The hotel is conveniently located near downtown and toward the highway to the vineyards. We'd certainly stay here again...

Room Tip: I'd request a room overlooking the courtyard - it's beautiful!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kaala S, Guest Relations Manager at El Pueblo Inn, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear KatherineH,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review!

I'm so glad that your stay with us was comfortable and that you found our location convenient.
I'm sorry that you experienced noise during your stay with us- we make an effort to control the noise but it can be a bit difficult when we are at full capacity. I hope that your time in our town was enjoyable and that you are able to return to the wine country soon!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We travelled to wine county from San Francisco during weekdays and we had no reservation. El Pueblo was the perfect accommodation: room readily available, very close to downtown Sonoma, super friendly staff, big and clean room, very comfortable bed (got the king size!). The beautiful garden in the internal courtyard and the swimming pool were a treat. It's just a pity the breakfast did not follow the trend in organic and sustainable food so widespread in the area. Otherwise definitively recommended!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello freechildLondon,

Thank you for reviewing us here on TripAdvisor!

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am so glad to hear that you found your stay with us to be comfortable and accommodating

Thank you for your feedback on our breakfast- we are actively pursuing ways to upgrade our offerings and we welcome any and all suggestions!

We hope to see you again!

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We chose this Inn on a recommendation of a friend and we were not disappointed! We were warmly welcomed by the front desk staff. Our room was a king and had two recliners that faced the fireplace. We also had a balcony that overlooked a fountain in a tropical courtyard. The breakfast in the morning offered a good selection of breakfast foods. The front desk offered several ideas for restaurants in the area. We ate dinner at the Swiss House and Mary's Pizza Shack. Both were good. With the central location of the El Pueblo Inn we used it as a base to explore the wine country around Sonoma. It was a great choice. We definitely will return when we are back in the area!

Room Tip: Our room was 242. We prefer a location on the top floor and this room was great. It is on the end...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear FLGrams,

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your taking the time to leave us some feedback!

I'm glad to hear that you found our location convenient and enjoyed our continental breakfast. I hope that your stay in Sonoma was lovely and relaxing. We look forward to hosting you again when you return to the wine country!

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We wanted a hotel that was in or close to Sonoma square - my #1 choice was full, but El Pueblo was my #2, so it seemed like a perfect fit. We checked in and I was blown away by how friendly the front desk staff were, they gave us a map, had candy on the counter and told us about the complimentary wine tasting the next night. That was where our enjoyable experience ended.

On our first night after our dinner reservation, we returned back to the hotel. At 9:30, my fiance suggested we watch tv before going to bed. I have sensitive ears, so I like the volume low. We had been watching all of 10 minutes before my fiance told me the front desk called saying that a neighbor had called about being able to hear our tv. It was also 9:30pm at night, not 2 am. I called the front desk back and asked to move to a different room so that we would be able to watch tv - I obviously didn't want to keep it on after signing the noise agreement upon check in - they said they wouldn't be able to do that and that they had walked past our room and weren't able to hear the tv from outside, so they would offer the guest earplugs if they called back. We could hear our neighbors tv all day long the next day, so keep in mind the walls are thin.

The next morning, I decided to get coffee for us from the complimentary breakfast bar. As I was walking back to my room, I said signs posted all over a few of the hotel doors that stated "The California Health Department has declared the water in this room unsafe for drinking. All occupants must keep out. The water in this room has been shown to cause birth defects and excessive birth rates. The Health Department has declared this water unfit for human consumption".

Now, if that's true for one room, wouldn't that be true for all? I called the front desk in a panic as I had filled up my water bottle the night before, they informed me that a wedding had occurred and the signs were a joke from the groom's father. Later that day at the pool, a few other guests stated the signs had been up for days and they had been worried too. If that was true, if I'm going to get a call from the front desk for my neighbors being able to hear my tv even at a low volume, why in the world would they let people keep those signs up for days?

The final incident was when around 9 am, my fiance and I were getting ready to leave to tour some wineries. Without even knocking, our front door opened - while I was in the middle of getting dressed!! - and the housekeeper walked into our room. She stood there looking at us, until I finally said that we would be leaving in about 30 minutes and would hang the "please service" sign on our door. She did not apologize and awkwardly stood there until I asked her to return. I know that accidents happen, but the lack of an apology was really unsettling to me.

I was sad to see that our experience was not an enjoyable one, the flowers on the property are beautiful as is the hot tub/pool area, but those are the only great things I have to say. There are many properties in Sonoma square and I would recommend trying there. Our experience was so unenjoyable, I really wish it had been better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kaala S, Guest Relations Manager at El Pueblo Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Liz9852013,

I am so glad that you took the time to leave your review for us.

I sincerely apologize for the issues you dealt with during your stay- I am very surprised by several of them and I feel disappointed that you had to experience them while you lodged with us.

I apologize for your TV noise issues. I imagine that one of our front desk clerks was a little over zealous in trying to keep all the guests comfortable with the noise levels. I wish that we had had a room to move you to where you would have been more comfortable, and I am sorry you had to experience that.

I am extremely uncomfortable with what you described as signs posted on our doors about possible birth defects, etc. And I will absolutely be talking to all staff about this incident. EVEN if it was a joke it is unacceptable and it will not happen again.

I am so disappointed that a housekeeper walked into your room without knocking or proper warning. That would certainly irritate/embarrass me and I do apologize. Again, I will be talking to our staff about that.

It seems that you experienced a few low points in our quality of service and I apologize. We will use the information you have provided to improve.

Please feel free to call me at 1 800 900 8844 EX. 409 or email me: kaala@elpuebloinn.com at anytime to discuss this matter further.

Best Regards
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

This was our base for 4 nights, we spent time exploring the area and having some down time, after a transatlantic flight and hectic few days in San Fransisco.
What a great find - the staff were so friendly and helpful.
The family room was spacious, with 2 large beds, recliners and great balcony. The bathroom was huge and well equipped.
The pool was so clean and the gardens beautifully maintained.
This is an ideally placed motel to visit Sonoma and pop into Napa. It is very comfortable, the staff are great.
Breakfast still needs some work - but toast on the balcony is good for us.
I would recommend this to anyone and if I'm fortunate to be in the area would come back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello Chrispk2, and thank you for your review!

I'm glad to hear that you found your room comfortable and were able to enjoy our pool and garden areas. We hope that your time in the wine country was relaxing and fun!
We are most assuredly working on our breakfast still, thank you for your patience.

If you are ever in the north bay area again we hope to be able to host you!

El Pueblo Inn

Been to El Pueblo Inn? Share your experiences!