“Nicer than it appears from the road” 3 of 5 stars

El Pueblo Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   896 W. Napa St., Sonoma, CA 95476   |
Ranked #4 of 11 hotels in Sonoma
Tennessee
“Nicer than it appears from the road”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

When arriving at the El Pueblo Inn, my first reaction was "Oh wow... I can't believe I'm about to pay more than $200 for a night here." It looks like any one of the thousands of roadside motels anywhere.

And while it is pricey, the rooms are decidedly HOTEL, not motel quality. The rooms are sparkling clean. The bathrooms feel like they might in a hotel built in the last ten years: plush linens, a powerful shower head, shaving mirror, clean tile.

The setting is nice and the 24-hour pool/hot tub is a great feature (24 hours with a note requesting quiet after 10 PM). Breakfast is fine but not great.

I enjoyed the very firm beds, but others might find them to be uncomfortable. They are substantially firmer than any national chain's beds.

The hotel provides free wireless internet access but it is very slow. Be prepared for dial-up speeds.

TVs are small but each includes a DVD player.

Rooms include two comfortable recliners, which I greatly enjoyed.

As other reviewers have said, the Inn is not really within quick walking distance of Sonoma Plaza. It's a very quick drive, or an extended walk.

All in all, the El Pueblo Inn is a solid choice, but because of the price, I would recommend that you try to book other places first if you're quoted a rate above $200. I would gladly return here for $150/night.

• Liked — 24 hour pool
  • Disliked — Very slow internet connection
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

I was amazed to see some negative reviews of El Pueblo, so I must write my own to prevent people from having misconceptions. When we stayed here we did not experience any of the street noise nor problems with the staff that a couple of reviewers noted. Perhaps it was the time of year we booked, but the price for 1 room with 2 adults was much lower than the $172 listed here. This place is beautiful--just look at the pictures of the grounds! We enjoyed walking around the grounds in the evening after dinner. Our room was not the biggest, but clean and new looking (I think they had recently renovated). The motel is not in the heart of downtown, but is very close by car, and there is a shopping center nearby. Perhaps one of the $300-$400 hotels listed here is a higher quality, but if you want a lot for less money, try El Pueblo.

• Stayed October 2003
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

This place was over-priced and the service was terrible.

I stayed at this MOTEL because my friend was getting married in Sonoma and this was where she was told to get rooms. I looked at the web-site and thought the place looked nice--online. I should've gotten a hint about the service when I called to make a reservation, got an answering machine, left a message, and never received a call back.

I nearly missed the MOTEL because I was looking for someplace worth the $250/night rate. When we pulled into the parking lot, we noted how it looked like a cheap motel with turquoise doors and bad landscaping.

When I checked in, I asked the Hispanic girl at the front desk whether my room was near everyone else in the wedding party. She rudely noted that there was no note on my reservation and that no one reserved a block of rooms for the wedding. After speaking with otheres in my party, everyone noted how the same girl was rude to them as well.

I thought that maybe the rooms were really spacious and nice; I tried with hope to think the $250/night was getting me something more than a cheap motel. The room was spacious and clean. That's about all I can say for it. It certainly WAS NOT worth $250/night.

I chalked the rates up to it being in Sonoma but after a visit into town, my friends and I found El Dorado. The hotel was beautiful, clean, and cozy. It had a full restaurant and bar. Thinking the rates would be astronomical compared to our dink digs, I ventured to get the El Dorado rate card. No room, in any season was more than $200/night. Unbelievable.

Maybe they don't have a pool, I thought. Not only do they HAVE a pool, but they have 3 bungalows along the pool with patios. To pour salt in my wounds, the concierge was actually nice.

Later, when I chatted with some wine consultants at the local wineries, I was told that El Pueblo is notorious for overcharging, "because they can." They can only charge as much as they do because people don't know until they've already arrived. AND they charge your first night's stay before you even arrive. It must be because once you arrive, you'll want to turn around and find somewhere else that was actually worth your money.

I will NEVER stay at El Pueblo again and I am posting a review on every travel site I can find to warn people about the over-priced El Pueblo Inn.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reston, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

When we pulled up to this motel/hotel I thought we had made a big mistake. Looks like a motel and is as close to Rt 12 as you can get. However, the room was decent size and clean, the grounds are landscaped beautifully, and the breakfast was pretty good. Also, the location is great! Close to downtown Sonoma and a walking trail that my wife and I loved. And being right off 12 was convenient.

I would stay here again if they lowered there price about $20-$40 per night. However, it was one of the only places I found that did not require a two night minimum on the weekend and for that reason if I did the same trip (one night sonoma, one napa, one St, Helena) I may stay here again.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

Wow-I booked a room at El Pueblo strictly based on the great reviews here on trip advisor. It was horrible.
First off,the road it is on,while perhaps quaint at one time,such as when the Inn was first built,is the corner of hwy 12!!! loud and with loud trucks all times of the day. Despite the fact that the hotel told us it would be quiet and we woul dnot hear road noise,it was not the calm oasis we'd hoped for.
Even at night,and with a room 'in the back off the road' (yet,our windows still picked up hwy 12 noise from the back of the property;there is no escaping it.)

We specifically looked in Sonoma for a hotel that would allow one night stay on a weekend night,with a 7 yr old child. After spending 2 peaceful nights in Mendocino,it was beyond disappointing to arrive at our [what we thought was well planned]3rd and final night's vacation stay at El Pueblo.

I will say that the front desk staff is extremely friendly and responsive,and the beds/pillows are very comfortable. If only we were able to sleep!!!!
For after the disappointment of the largely downgraded rooms and noise level (and the property itself seemed very old and is much larger sized hotel than the name 'Inn' implies),we found that our downstairs neighbors came in loudly at midnight,awakening us,and then proceeding to have very loud sex.
We finally called the front desk;the hotel was practically empty,we did not understand why they had someone right beneath us.
The young woman,pity her,did call over and got no answer. She then walked over and told them to be quiet.
That worked for about an hour,only to find ourselves repeatedly awakened throughout the night by their high volume talking,sounding drunk,T.V. noise,etc.
The walls are obviously thin-they at first sounded like they were next door,not downstairs!

It was the most horrible night's sleep,on top of an already disappointing check-in. I feel the hotel provides false advertising,frankly.

The room cost,with tax: $220!!!!!! C'mon. I've travelled extensively,and lived in some of the costliest CA cities,and I know wine country's pricey,but PULEEEEZ!!!!

To top it off,it's not walking distance to the plaza;you are probably better off staying at the Best Western,which is two blocks to the Sonoma plaza,and right near Whole Foods. I did not price them but they may even be cheaper,or at least around the same.
I had not looked at chain hotels b/c we wanted something more regional and smaller,without being a B and B,per se.
Well,the trip advisor reviews were SO contrary to what I found upon arrival. I couldn't believe it was the same place I'd read about,and that noone else had mentioned the road noise.

Weird is that when I checked in,the woman at the front desk said 'oh,everyone always worries about that when they arrive'...hmmm...maybe they should address it on their website-but then again,they'd probably have trouble booking.
Also,when I called around midnight about the noise,thinking it was the room next door to ours,the front desk person said 'there is noone staying next to you,unless they snuck in,but noone answered when i called'.
Um,'snuck in?'
Hopefully that was just a nervous response to an uncomfortable situation....
In the end,when we checked out,the front desk person had already arranged to have $40 taken off of our room. Not sure how they got to that amount,but it scarcely made up. and just covered a little more than the tax. yea,more like we got a free breakfast.
We just did not want to get into it with our yr old present,trying to enjoy the last morning of our vacation.
Do yourself a favor,do not stay here;you can do way better. yuck. double yuck.
Somewhere as beautiful as Sonoma,deserves a peaceful stay,IMHO.
ps-the continental breakfast was 'better than expected',but yet,not up to par for a 200/nite room.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

We stayed at the El Pueblo Inn in early April. It was clean and comfortable. They provided a nice continental breakfast in the morning. However I do not agree with other reviews that call it a hidden gem and thought it was well overpriced at $249/night. We spent a week in San Francisco and Sooma. We didn't pay more than $170/night at any hotel. Based on the price and the review I thought I was splurging for a really nice hotel on our final night. I was disappointed with what we got. No specific complaints but not worth the price.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Granite Bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

For three nights we had a clean, quiet, spacious room with king bed, fireplace, and balcony overlooking gardens. There is a pool and a workout room, which we didn't use this trip. The staff made sure the grounds, rooms, and public spaces were clean and maintained. Free, do-it-yourself continental breakfast was adequate to start the day.Hotel location is just a mile from the Sonoma Plaza, where most of the restaurants and nightlife are. From the hotel you can walk or jog in safe areas. It is centrally located for wine tasting throughout the Sonoma Valley. Service was great, but we weren't very demanding. The room was about $160 including taxes. We will go back.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Difficult exit from parking area
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to El Pueblo Inn? Share your experiences!