“Old world feel, nice use of limited space” 5 of 5 stars

Room + Parking Included
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, IL
“Old world feel, nice use of limited space”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

As others may have mentioned, this hotel is listed as 'historical' so that typically means it was converted with newer amenities but the rooms are typically smaller; ours was no exception. The room size can be considered 'intimate' but NOT cramped by any means. We loved the long converted closet with its 'auto on' light and 2 folding stands for luggage hidden away behind an old original door as well as a bathroom with an actual window but no short cuts on comfort (two types of showers, full tub, etc.). Bed was quite comfortable and loved the 2 windows that looked our on the front grounds. Being a historical hotel, no elevators so keep that in mind before booking; we never minded the stairs. The grounds outside were very well kept up and if you happen to own a Tesla EV they have chargers right out front. At least during our stay they had complimentary wine tasting very night -- we skipped that and went on our own winery tours as well as their somewhat pricey restaurants in favor of others in the area. Only other negative would be is that there is not a lot within walking distance of the hotel but as we rented a car anyway not an issue in car crazy CA. If visiting Sonoma its a great place to check out.

Room Tip: if you want to open your windows stay as far as possible from the main entrance as the smoke from th...
Green Features: Having an EV charging station in front was a definite plus!
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I’ve enjoyed staying at the Fairmont’s in Boston, so I was looking forward to staying at their location in Sonoma. It was a very nice hotel, but I didn’t find it was in a great area - there isn’t much to walk to directly outside the hotel. The room we were in was nice but very small. The staff was also very friendly and accommodating, we got a lot of great restaurant recommendations from one of the bellman. I was here for a conference, which they did a great job with and the catered food was very good.

Room Tip: the main building does not have elevators
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Markham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This hotel is definitely one to put on your list of must stays. We had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay. When in the hotel you become oblivious to any of the surrounding area and experience its tranquility.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Kirkland, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I recently visited Napa. Even though I primarily visited Napa wineries, I stayed in Sonoma because I always wanted to experience this hotel. My stay was comfortable but I didn't feel great about traveling alone to the hotel. the dinner reservation was made for one and still I was asked if Mr. K would be joining for dinner. I had not brought any electronics to dinner to simply enjoy the meal but was offered magazines. The courses seem to take bit longer as well. Spa was the same experience, after I made arrangements I was asked if Mr. K would like the same treatment. Also when I did arrive for my appointment, there was no reservation made. They did find a therapist who was able to help but I didn't need the extra stress. The staff in general was attentive, I just felt that they weren't used to seeing a single female traveling. I will give them another try because the location is beyond beautiful, the facilities are outstanding and grounds are breathtaking

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

ManagerFSMI, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Shub_k, Thank you for your post. I appreciate your feedback and I am sorry if there was any way that you did not feel comfortable during your visit. We are thrilled to welcome individuals, couples, families, friends, etc. to our resort and aim to create a wonderful experience for all of our guests. Thank you for your patronage and we will look forward to welcoming you back to our resort. Kind regards, Guest Service Manager
NEW YORK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I stayed at the Fairmont at the end of December 2014. We arrived at the hotel lobby around 3:30 pm and it was packed with a line for check in. Our room was not ready, but they upgraded us to the Gen. Vellejo Suite, which they said is one of the nicest suites at the resort. We ended waiting about 90+ minutes before our room was ready (after 5 pm), which was annoying because the already crowded lobby got more crowded as people came in for the free daily wine tasting (see below). But the Fairmont made it up to us by comping us $150 at the Sante restaurant (reviewed separately).

The room itself was pretty spectacular – very large BR and LR with a full bath and separate powder room, icemaker, wine cooler, gigantic patio (which we didn't really get to use because of the cold weather) and two gas fireplaces (which we did get to use a lot). The main bath was huge with separate shower and jetted tub and double vanities. Even the powder room was pretty big. I would estimate the entire indoor space at well over 800 SF and 300+ SF outdoor space.

The grounds of the resort are very nice and one gets a sense of peacefulness notwithstanding that you're close to a major highway. The gym is decent, particularly for aerobic equipment (less so for weights). One thing I thought odd was that there is a standard water cooler, but no disposable plastic or paper cups; instead, they had a tray full of mugs next to the water cooler, which did not fit into any of the bottle/cup holders in any of the exercise machines. I guess it's more environmentally friendly, My wife booked a spa treatment (next to the gym) and loved it. Every afternoon, as i mentioned, there is a free wine tasting in the lobby featuring a local winery, which is a nice touch. The hotel also offers matching cheeses (which you have to pay for, but I thought the prices were pretty reasonable for the amount of cheese).

Breakfast at the Big 3 restaurant is very good but very expensive. However, we had booked using our Amex Platinum Card so we got complimentary breakfast. It turns out that almost everyone there eating breakfast had booked some sort of breakfast package.

One complaint I had is that non-valet parking was, at certain times, a real pain because there was a shortage of spaces. I guess that's why they can charge so much for valet parking.

One final tip - Fairmont hotels charge for wifi, but that fee is waived if you are a member of their President's Club, which costs nothing to join.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I have been a presidents club member for decades and have been aware of the general " down marketing" of the Fairmont brand but we were really disappointed by our experience at the Fairmont Sonoma inn. After spending five days at the Fairmont San Francisco, which years ago abandon it's " fine dining " room and now does not claim a " fine dining" experience. We thought we would spend a night at the Sonoma mission inn which heavy promotes it "fine dining" room "Sante " claiming a number of awards and recognitions. Living in the Tahoe area and having spend the last 30 years in and around the Napa area and are very familiarly with many hotels and restaurants in the area ,a few of which can fairly claim to be " fine dining" we had never stayed at the Sonoma mission inn primarily because of it's location which is quite poor compared to other " upscale " properties. But thought a night to enjoy a new great dining room would be fun. We dressed as we would for any " fine dining" -coat and slacks for me and St. John's suit for my wife. What a mistake! To begin we we're ask if we want to to seated outside at what appeared to be a plastic topped table without a table clothes ,we ask to be seated inside. The menu had one shell food entree and one fish entree and no poultry , no vegetarian offerings. Apparently the chief believes if it did not walk on four feet it is not for his kitchen. Service staff seemed very uneducated about the menu while at the same time attempting a strained air of sophistication that was almost comical. Noise , shouts and laughter , could clearly be heard from the kitchen though out our meal. I had the only seafood entree a " poached Sea bass" severed with " local " baby vegetables and a basil sauce that was apparently intended to subtle but in fact was just bland. And then to top off our evening the room has no dress code ( not even the one required on the golf course- i.e. Collared shirts) so we had the added pleasure of having a over weight man with his large belly hanging over a baggy pair or shorts and flip-flops accessorized by a "tommy Bahamas " tee shirt with a marlin on the back which appeared to have been slept in. If your looking for fine dining look you will not find it here and frankly there is nothing else that would justify stay at this rather worn and undistinguished property .

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Hlwatkins, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your feedback, read all posts, and use the feedback to review and improve any areas that are not consistent with the excellency we strive for. I am so sorry about your disappointing experience in Santé and we have followed up with the chefs and management team regarding your valuable suggestions. We are traditionally known for exceptional cuisine, service and overall experience at Santé and I hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back again. Kind regards, Guest Service Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Casual elegance reminiscent of the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables Florida 3 night stay is rooms had drinks by the fireplace very nice stay. Great service at the restaurant as well...

Recommend to everyone and also visit the Beringer vineyard very good and V. STATOORI VINEYARD

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Juan C, Thank you for your patronage, post, and recommendations. We appreciate it and hope to welcome you back to our resort soon. Kind regards, Guest Service Manager

Been to Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!