“A lovely getaway” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“A lovely getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Did an overnight Sonoma trip while visiting friends in San Francisco. The resort is lovely. It is an historic building with lots of character. Curbside reception was seamless and welcoming. Our rooms were on the very small third floor of the hotel, and not served by elevators, which was no problem for us traveling for an overnight--I suppose if it had been a longer visit, that's what bellmen are for! Room was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. The view was not much (a service road and a water tower), but this is not a hotel where you go for the view. Lobby bar was very pleasant, and well-priced (for the category of hotel), comfortably furnished and had well-crafted cocktails.

Had room service breakfast in the morning before an early Spa appointment--it was delivered right on time, and was delicious. Because I am used to NYC prices, the $26 price-tag seemed downright reasonable.

The Spa was delightful as well...I booked two treatments--arrived early as they suggested and enjoyed the eucalyptus steam and the warm mineral pools. My massage and facial were first-rate and very relaxing. I was happy I enjoyed the pool facilities early (i.e., between 8AM and 9AM), because when I emerged from my treatments, these areas were considerably more crowded. Not oversubscribed, exactly, but definitely less serene than in the earlier hours. All in all it was a really wonderful weekend getaway.

Only con was that my friend (who drove us) said the valet parking was on the pricey side. We are already planning another visit!

Room Tip: The third floor is not served by elevators (as this is an historic building), so if you're assig...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Our stay was absolutely perfect. We stayed in a Mission Suite, which I'd highly recommend. Service, whether the valet, restaurant, spa, or room service, was also fantastic. We'd return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Menlo Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My daughter and I spent the weekend there. We didn't use the spa services but just used the mineral water pools and jacuzzi.
The breakfast was great. The hotel is the best place to stay in sonoma. You feel special from the moment you set foot in this property.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

One night is not long enough. We made a quick trip to Sonoma before attending a business trip in San Francisco. As a travel agent, I chose this hotel based on feedback from clients that I have booked here. It's hard to find a large resort that can pull off a boutique feel, but Fairmont Sonoma does it extremely well. We booked the advance rate and stayed in a standard room. It was a suite in most other hotels! Very spacious, clean, comfortable bed with lots of extra touches; robe, slippers, large bathroom with upscale toiletries. Lots of extra touches throughout the hotel as well: complimentary coffee and tea in the morning, local wineries Provide free tastings in the lobby for guests, complimentary first rate work out facility. The grounds are gorgeous with fountains, multiple pools, fire pits and chairs made from wine barrels. Best service I have experienced in a long time. The restaurant Sante was one of the best dining experiences I've had! It seems to be a favorite with locals and guests. They only charge $25 to uncork, decanter and serve your own wine.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

January is the time to stay at Fairmont Sonoma. Great service, wonderful restaurants, beautifully decorated rooms and top-quality amenities, delightful spa, gorgeous grounds, and we got a free wine-tasting AND a bottle of wine in our room as part of a terrific deal on the Internet! The best part is, there are no crowds in the hotel or the town because it is the off season. If you can go in the winter, it is definitely worth it!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Newport Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Two years ago we stayed at this hotel and rated it five stars. They has just started a major renovation of the restaurant and it was a bit of a construction zone but the service, room, food, etc were great. Now, what we experienced this year........where do I begin. When we checked into our room, we found a dog bed and two bowls on the floor. I picked up the phone to get this corrected and the phone didn't work. Both problems were corrected. We could not get our room warmed up by turning up the heat quite high and then I discovered the problem, the ceiling vent fan in the bathroom was on and I could not turn it off. That night we had to close the bathroom door to hold the bedroom heat in and if we used the bathroom we had to wear a robe as it was freezing. The fan was also noisy all night long. In the morning I reported that fan and we left for the day expecting it would be corrected. On our return there was a message on our phone stating that the fan was set to run continuously and could not be turned off. Therefore, we had to endure three uncomfortable nights trying to be comfortable. I am guessing that they set the fan to always be on to cut down on mold buildup. In my mind there is no other reason that makes sense. So, to heck with the guest comfort so the hotel can save a few bucks on bathroom tile maintenance. Additionally, we had to walk a hundred yards in the rain to have breakfast as they don't choose to use the new restaurant in the building for that purpose. You pay a pretty sum to stay here and they still charge you $15.00 a day for internet access. Cheep Cheep

To add insult to injury, we were awoken the morning of our departure at 8:15 AM by the maid wanting to service the room. Give me a break. What ever happened to housekeeping waiting to hear that a guest has checked out? I guess that goes along with the dog bed and bowl.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
Green Features: They burn up a lot of extra energy leaving the bathroom fans on 24/7
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Forest Grove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This resort was great. They allowed us to have our two dogs with no questions asked and when we told them we were here for our honeymoon they provided us with free champagne and complimentary champagne every time we were in the spa. The atmosphere around the grounds is amazing at all times of day, almost as if you are going back to another time. And the staff are great.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Been to Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!