“Beautiful hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
livermore, ca
“Beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed at. We had a problem with ants which was taken care of quickly. Great staff, great concierge, beautiful room, lovely grounds. The spa area, which costs $29 to use is very nice and I would highly recommend. It is a little 'annoying' to have to pay to use the hot tubs, etc. when you are a hotel guest, but it was still worth the money. We went late in the day and they gave us a 2 for 1 offer. If you stay here, do not miss a meal at Sante - an experience unto itself.

Room Tip: Maybe if you avoided the first floor, you would avoid having any ants enter your room?
Green Features: I have no idea about the practices of the hotel. I suppose they could do better by not using things like bottled water and keurig k-cups?
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Petaluma, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Went for a spa day with my daughter to relax her before her finals this afternoon, we planned on arriving at 8:30am and leaving at 3pm. We planned to have mother/daughter day..massages, pools, lunch etc. 9am, we each had a very nice massage. It sorta went downhill from there. Each of us noticed the other one had a hole in her robe, surprising for Fairmont. The Jacuzzi's were old and tired looking. We couldn't tell if they were stained, dirty or just old, again nothing you would expect from the Fairmont. The staff was pleasant, but no one told us there were sitting lounges upstairs at a covered patio, or that there was a Jacuzzi in the corner by the outdoor pool. They have a nice heated pool however it has several large rust stains on the bottom of it - gross. The pool itself is very nice, we were in it for a bit in the morning and wanted to try the steam room, sauna, etc..by the time we came back, it was reserved. I don't understand this..sounds like "double dipping" to me on the Fairmont's part..we are paying to use the spa facilities and they are renting them out during this time to other guests for private use. We thought that was pretty rude. We decided to not let that ruin our time together and thought we would have lunch and then go back to the pool before we had to head home. We soon found out the café was closed. We could order from the restaurant menu, however it would be "about" 45 minutes before our food arrived, plus there would be a service charge AND 20% gratuity added on. Sorry for the negative review here, but these facilities were more like an "upscale Best Western" than a Fairmont. :-(

Room Tip: We did not stay here - only used the spa
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
San Rafael, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Attended a holiday party here on Dec. 13th and stayed the night. Check-in was wonderful, with personal help at the curb by valet. Needed a room with 2 beds instead of one queen, and he was able to put us in a room with sofa bed (Tempurpedic which as very comfortable). Saw other rooms with just a queen and they were quite small (in main building where lobby was); as company paid for rooms, they were likely lowest category. Loved the Rose 31 products, particularly the shampoo. Very expensive to buy ($50 for 8 oz bottle); didn't realize it was a Fairmont exclusive product. Rooms were very comfortable, and loved that windows could be opened. Our dinner consisted of "Neiman Ranch filet and lobster"; I couldn't eat the beef - it was not good (neither could my husband), and the lobster tail was so small and it was nearly impossible to get the meat out. Our appetizers were good - albeit the mushroom poof was cold. Our bartenders were wonderful. Be sure to put your "do not disturb" signs out - our friends were walked in on by the maids in the morning.

Room Tip: ask for room with sofabed or balcony as queen rooms are quite small
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Beautifully restored and renovated, the rooms are classic California but with a contemporary twist. Service was never short of outstanding. The grounds are absolutely stunning and the rooms themselves are just about perfect.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I'm surprised I haven't written a review. I've gone almost every year for the last while, though this next year we will be trying out the Fairmont Scottsdale in Arizona.

This property has been going through some updating recently. I'm not sure how it is now.
The last few time I think I stayed in the Wine country junior suite.

I was meaning to write a review because of a fantastic thing that happened last time.
I'm a platinum member with Fairmont so they gave us a welcome gift. That's standard. I'll admit, Sonoma is one of my favorite places due to this. Some Fairmonts give pretty mediocre welcome, but the "resorts" tend to give nicer items, and Sonoma is no exception.
So this time I was surprised when they gave me 2-4 pieces of chocolates. It came in a nice clay round box with the Fairmonts Sonoma logo painted on top. It was what I'd expect from a City center Fairmont... but its a welcome gift. Its whatever they want to give you. I didn't think much about it... until a few days later.
We were going to leave the box there (thinking its still hotel property since it had the logo on the front)... but... it wasn't a clay box... My boyfriend noticed that it was warmer in the room... he had touched the box... and his fingers smelled like chocolate. It was AMAZING. The box was so nice that I never thought it wasn't just a box, but instead this hunk of chocolate, amused me to no end!
Its touches like these that make Sonoma extra special for me.

Aside from that we spent all our meals in the lounge because Sante was closed. I was disappointed at first, but we ended up with the same server every night, and the kitchen staff was exceptionally accommodating. We got a few things off the menu since we were there so much. They even made up a drink for me and jokingly called it my drink (non alcoholic as I'm allergic)

I'd suggest getting a spa pass. Their regular pool is passable, but the spa pools are amazing especially the Watsu one that is heated to a much warmer degree.

I have stayed in a variety of their rooms at this point. I prefer being in the hotel if you don't get a suite. You're just a bit more central to everything. Also the rustic feel is kind of nice. When I had the option for a room in one of the outside buildings I felt like it was just a regular hotel room.
The food at the Big 3 just outside the property (its kind of connected?) is very good and the prices are reasonable.

I have a ton of other good stories from the hotel. There was maybe only one time where the service was not as good, but most of the time I've received exceptional service.
The concierge was great too when it came to making reservations. They recommended us to Morimoto and we were given excellent service there. (Surprisingly I did a review of the restaurant but not of this hotel)

Room Tip: If you want a more romantic feel choose rooms in the main part of the hotel and not in the outer bui...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Lovely hotel. Was afraid it would be out and far away from the square, but not the case at all. Less than a $10 cab ride. Only stayed for a couple nights and would go back again and use more amenities. The spa was interesting but nobody told me about the pre-service bath ritual that I would have liked to take advantage of. Next time.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Fairmont S, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear janddtravel, Thank you for your post. We are delighted you had a lovely stay and enjoyed the convenience to the Sonoma Plaza. I am so sorry you were not better informed about our signature Bathing Ritual experience. Generally we include this information in every confirmation and I will follow up with the team to be sure they are still including it with each guest. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort and spa. Kind regards, Guest Service Manager
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A great getaway from San Francisco for the holiday. Staff very attentive and our dog loved being spoiled. Would reccomend more dog beds for the holidays- I think we counted 15 dogs on the property. Rom service staff and housekeeping were great and Thanksgiving dinner was superb.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Been to Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!