“Could've Been a 5 but ....” 4 of 5 stars

25% Off Room/Double Miles
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
GreenLeadersGold level
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Could've Been a 5 but ....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My first time staying at this hotel and spa in Sonoma. Gorgeous property and very peaceful. We stayed in a one-bedroom suite (we splurged!) and it was amazing. Large/spacious, clean, bed was super comfortable, and the jacuzzi/jet tub was awesome! Room service was top notch and the food was excellent (you know how sometimes room service food is not the right temperature by the time it gets to you, etc. -- this place had none of those problems). Paying upwards of $650/night for the one-bedroom suite, the reasons it's not a 5 - (1) Very disappointing spa experience for my friend who got a gentleman's signature pedicure (or whatever the highest level service one is) that was supposed to last 60 minutes. Not only did it last maybe only 45 minutes, but of those 45 minutes, the woman put the parafin wax on his feet and then proceeded to walk away for a good 15 minutes - just leaving him sitting there - totally unacceptable and totally not in accordance with high-end spas for which you are paying that much for the service - no attention to detail (wax was left on his feet), no attention to good customer service, etc... having had a lot of pedicures in my lifetime, I was shocked at the poor level of service. We reported it privately to the manager and were very nice about it and told the manager that perhaps the woman was having a bad day. The spa did comp the service for him, but the point was that the beginning of what was supposed to be a relaxing spa day, just sort of ruined the whole day for him because he felt bad about having to raise the concern even knowing that he needed to, and then stressed out about whether he'd have to run into her at all that day. Very disappointing service from that specialist (Maria). Want good spa/salon service at the Willow Stream spa? Looking for a good person to do your manicure or pedicure? Ask for Rudolpho - he was AWESOME; (2) the morning we were checking out, I could not for the life of me get the front desk to answer the phone - first guy picked up at around 8am and asked me if he could put me on hold, I said ok - after about 15 minutes on hold (I think he forgot about me), I hung up and called back -- finally at about 845am I called whatever extension I could get a live person (I think the operator), and they helped me with the matter I had a question on (again, not expected level of service for a resort/spa of that caliber); and (3) Supposedly cheaper and "lower level" hotels I have stayed in, provide expedited check out/customer service by slipping a copy of the final bill under the door (which could have been done/there was space) - when I called to ask for one, I was told I'd have to go to the front desk to get it (I found that kind of odd - because then that's not really express check out is it?).

Finally - and this may be just paranoia, but I am suspicious that we had such great customer service from all areas when we first arrived, and it was only after we raised a concern/complaint about Maria in the spa, that suddenly it seemed that the level of service went drastically downward. It was also after our wine tasting day - where we were given some great suggestions by the concierge and also some coupons/discounts for tastings, etc... we bought wine at the one place we really enjoyed the wines at and even took the $25/person tour that was suggested - but the other 3 wineries we visited and tasted at, had no wines that we loved enough to buy ... I have a feeling that there is some deal or connection with the concierge folks and the wineries that they will let them know if someone redeems the coupon and/or if they buy wine ... Part of me wonders if the reason for the rapid decline in service on that second full day, was about the lack of purchase at some of those wineries.

In anycase, great place but don't complain, and if you get coupons for the wineries, buy wine - otherwise expect your service to head downward rapidly.

Room Tip: If you can afford it - go with the one-bedroom suite ... it was worth it in terms of it being in a m...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
ManagerFSMI, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Jan H, Thank you for your review. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your suite, the property, and room service. I apologize for your disappointments regarding the front desk responsiveness and spa service. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and please know that we have addressed the issues with the providers so that we may ensure proper timeliness and the level of attentiveness our guests deserve. Please also rest assured that by no means would we ever allow your retail decisions to impact our service. We value all feedback and aim to provide exceptional service for every guest at every turn, and again I am so sorry that we did not succeed in all areas for you this stay. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon. Kind regards, Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Redondo Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Contrary to what I read in some of the most recent reviews, the bathrooms were NOT huge. In fact, upon check in, we had to ask to switch rooms because my husband could barely raise his arms in the shower to shampoo his head! That, coupled with the fact that our non-smoking room was accompanied by a small deck with an ashtray and and leftover ashes in the chaise lounge was not a good start to our 4-day Sonoma Valley weekend.

The entire room was very small and after 4 days felt claustrophobic. Perhaps the newer sections of the hotel offer larger rooms. Something to ask about upon making reservations if having room to spread out is important.

While the resort facilities were OK (I thought the pool very small), I was disappointed that there was very little within walking distance. Should have done better research on that one. The immediate area is a bit rundown and industrial.

All in all, for the money, I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask about the size of the room before booking. Based on the reviews I see, they are very different.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear iagolfer, Thank you for posting your review. I am sorry for your disappointments with the room. We do have a variety of rooms and suite types to choose from. Some have double sized walk-in showers and others include a Jacuzzi tub for two and separate shower for example. We do hope you will consider trying one of these rooms or suites on a future stay. Kind regards, Guest Service Manager
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn for four days last week. I was very impressed. It is a very old hotel with a lot of history, and has been acquired by the Fairmont hotel chain.

Our room was nicely updated, with a great bathroom with an enormous shower. The bed was large and comfortable. The room furniture and appointments were fairly standard; nothing over the top.

The hotel grounds are immaculate and exquisitely groomed. I worked out in the fitness center every day and thought it was nice. My wife went to the spa and really enjoyed it. We hung out at one of the pools in the spa complex and had a good time.

The hotel staff is friendly and eager to please. Overall, the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn is a good choice for a restful stay while visiting the Sonoma Valley.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I am still at the hotel. I have been very impressed by the attentiveness of staff - the concierge desk gives great tips for vineyards to visit which match my taste / everyone is charming and really courteous and helpful . The grounds of the hotel are immaculate, the rooms are lovely and very quiet - comfortable beds with huge bathrooms. Great food so far , everything I have had is delicious ... really excellent complimentary wine tastings in the lobby every day. What's not to love?

Answer - no "adults only" area unless you pay a fee to enter the spa every day.

In my opinion, Sonoma / Napa is a pretty adult-focused holiday destination, and anyone booking a hotel room at these prices would expect to be able to relax by the pool amidst some peace and quiet. I have no issue with kids enjoying themselves in the pool area if there is an alternative for people without kids, but the main pool is absolutely full of screaming kids all day long. When I mentioned this to front desk, they suggested that I pay $30 a day to relax in the spa section. They kindly gave me a free day pass for 1 day for the spa, but I am here for 6 days. The money isn't an issue but the principle is. If a hotel of this caliber cannot provide a peaceful poolside area to relax during the day without a surcharge, then they really need to reconsider their policy.

The Fairmont's explanation for not allowing guests who value peace and quiet to use the spa area pools is that it might get too crowded. The impressive grounds of this hotel are large, and I can't help but wonder why, during the recent renovation of the property, they didn't see fit to add an adult only pool.

Room Tip: I'm in a standard room on 2nd floor of main building which faces to the front of the hotel- ver...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
ManagerFSMI, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Torontoalfagetti, Thank you for your post and for contacting us. I believe we were able to resolve to your satisfaction and we appreciate you choosing Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa for your getaway. I am delighted to read that our staff has been so attentive and helpful during your visit. Enjoy the rest of your stay and we hope to welcome you back again soon. Kind regards, Guest Service Manager
Daytona Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Excellent accommodations and dining experience. This was my first visit to Sonoma and I was very happy that we made the right selection for our stay. The staff really went above and beyond to make our visit pleasant.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Scotts Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We hosted an event here over 4th of July and were so impressed by all the employees, especially the concierge, Amanda, who went out of her way several times for us and provided exemplary service throughout our stay.
They also provided white glove valet service and indoor nighttime storage for all the exotic cars we brought up.
The upscale grounds are beautifully maintained.
The pool area and pool bar is a pleasure! An amazing salt water pool with dozens and dozens of large comfy chaise lounges surrounding it and lots of big fluffy towels provided.

All of our parties had clean, comfortable, well laid-out suites with every luxury including a large open walk-in shower and large two person jacuzzi tub.
Sleep quality was great in the comfortable bed with soft, cozy linens and piles of extra pillows promptly provided.
In room Nespresso coffee makers with plenty of coffee pods and 1/2 and 1/2 in the fridge made wake ups a breeze.
Santé Restaurant, the AAA Four Diamond Award and Michelin designated restaurant provided an amazing 5 star chef's tasting dinner with wine pairings for our guests that will long be remembered.
All this was provided at a reasonable price making Fairmont Sonoma Mission inn an extraordinary value.
This is a location that we will return to soon and often.

Room Tip: The suites are amazing with large in-room jaccuzzi tubs. Rooms in the newer buildings are larger.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
ManagerFSMI, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Marigator, Thank you for choosing the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa for your getaway and for your “amazing” post. We are delighted that you so enjoyed your suites, the grounds, your Santé dinner and many other aspects of our resort. Thank you also for your commendations of Amanda at Concierge. Our culture is to provide warm, engaging service for all of our guests. We hope to welcome you back again soon. Kind regards, Guest Service Manager
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

shocked to see that this non smoking property allows smoking on your balcony! I was promised non smoking room with a balcony. I have allergies and sister has severe asthma! the neighbors were smoking like chimneys!!! could not use balcony and had to close off doors. reservations promises non smoking property. How can this be allowed? I was suspicious when I saw an ashtray on patio table! Ruined my trip and made us gag! I had to wait an extra 3 + hours to get the correct room with a patio when I arrived only to have this happen! Ruined my trip and my birthday! To top it off there were a million ants that came into room and were everywhere! Came back from dinner and they were on my cake, bathroom counters, floor and bar area! ugh!!!! SO NOT HAPPY WITH ALL THE ISSUES I EXPERIENCED!

Room Tip: HMM not sure as I made reservations online, called to confirm, checked online and then even called o...
Green Features: should not allow smoking period!!! false advertising and false promises!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Elena M, Thank you your post and for taking the time to further communicate directly with our Director of Operations about your concerns. Our guest rooms are non-smoking but I am so sorry the smoke on the outside patio from another guest impacted your stay. I also apologize that ants got on your cake and into the room. Again, thank you for taking the time to speak with us directly about these issues so that we may work to resolve them. Kind regards, Guest Service Manager

Been to Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!