“it was okay...” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Memphis, Tennessee
“it was okay...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have to say, the words alone- Sonoma Mission and Spa elicit a sense of decadence and indulgence, right? At least it did for me- I did the pre trip searches for "traveler" photos and reviews and they seemed pretty good. So, here is my post trip review in brief:
What I liked:
- Great location- beautiful surroundings, it's California wine country...
- My room- at first, I gotta say it was a bit creepy- old room, in the main part of the mission- I think I watch way too many ghost hunter episodes, but it was a beautiful room- well maintained and very clean! The complimentary bottle of wine was a classy touch for sure!
- Guest Services staff was top notch! Always welcoming and very polite and attentive to any needs/requests I had- thank you!!!

What I didn't get into:
- location, not much to do if you are not a wine taster (sorry- I was on a business trip)
- free wifi would have been much, much, much appreciated...
- pricey, but hey- it's in the name and location...

Overall, it's a great place for the wine folks out there as well as the traveler who wants to get away and just be somewhere quiet...it is very quiet..and romantic.
Not much of a review I know, but again it's a great place if you love wine, and old mission spas- some California history for sure.

Room Tip: I was placed in the main mission area and asked for the highest floor (3rd floor), the corner room I...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Fairmont S, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Hideotakamini, Thank you for your post. We are delighted to have you as our guest, even if you were not here for the wine country charm. We hope to welcome you back again soon. Warm regards, Guest Service Manager

279 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
GAINESVILLE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Two weeks prior to arrival, i reached out to the hotel concierge and became email aquatinted with Debra D. We had a few holes to fill in our schedule for private tastings and restaurants. After receiving several emails with full maps, times details suggestions I was more prepared for napa/sonoma than i am for my own town. Debra is a true asset to this hotel, so do NOT buy a travel guide to the wine country, stay at the hotel and let Debra be your guide. Ok, now on to the hotel. On first arrival, you pull up to the valet/bellman station, for $25.00 they will park your car in the underground lot or for 15.00 you park your own. For the first day, its easier to let them park it for you and they will also take your bags to your room. The hotel has a main building, then several medium size building spread out among the campus (try to stay in the wine country suites). Our room was the normal upgraded room as all the suites were booked for a huge conference that was going on. In our room they welcomed us with a bottle of champagne and bottle of red wine, a very pleasant surprise. Bed was comfortable but the room had a big logistical problem for me. You enter the room and go past a closet and bathroom door on the left, then enter the big portion of the room on the left with tv on the right on a dresser. But if you back up and turn your head to the left as you pass the bathroom, there is a 1/2 crack between the bathroom french doors. Maybe not too big of a deal but the toilet is intersecting the 1/2 crack in the door, so anyone who visits you and takes a quick glance can get a full frontal view of whomever is sitting on the toilet, or whoever is sitting on the toilet and is looking straight ahead can make clear eye contact with the person passing by...NOT COOL. And beware the toilet is a super twin turbo model, when you flush it, it is the most loud and violent flush i have ever heard, it could easily suck down a small child. Another complaint which occurred every single night was the ac unit would randomly create a hum for a couple of minutes and then go away, it would occur 4-5 times a night that i knew of. I spoke up after 2nd night and they said they fixed it...they didn't so the following day i complained again and they said they fixed it...they didn't, but to their credit i did get one night comp'd. It was loud enough for me to take a video of and i let the front desk manager hear it just so they could help explain exactly what we were hearing, they are very prompt so hopefully its repaired by now. The spa is wonderful but be prepared to pay unless you join up with the free membership to the presidents club and then the workout room is free, the whirlpool and pools are 29.00 a day for members, also internet is free when you join also. Our room package received a choice for 25.00 credit per person for breakfast in bed, walk 100 feet to a corner restaurant for breakfast or drive to the country club for breakfast. We chose to eat at the big 3 every day because it was very very good. Overall this is a very good hotel, they nickel and dime you too much but they make up for it in other ways, especially by having one of the best concierge in the whole world, great afternoon wine tasting for local vineyard's, outdoor fireplace and great breakfast options.
Almost forgot the most important thing that my wife wanted me to mention. She is a runner and we asked for running info and was given a map down a busy street to a ymca/boys club type park. You go to the back of it and they have running trails. The front desk girl said it was safe but wife wife ran down there at 530 in the morning to find out it was running trails that are not marked and with NO LIGHTS. VERY VERY UNSAFE and not cool to ask a woman to run by herself. I was very pissed off about this as we ran down there the next day after daylight, and even in early daylight with me with her, she still did not feel safe. So please do not chose this hotel based on running routes from this hotel, just go to the gym and run on the treadmill. Oh and there BMW bikes are worn out

Room Tip: choose a wine country suite, they look like something out of Italy. Also, choose your hotel based o...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairmont S, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Bamafutbal, Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review. We are delighted that Debra was an excellent guide for you; she is indeed a true asset to our resort. I am so sorry for the noise disturbance from the air conditioner. Thank you for bringing this and the other items to our attention. We do strive to ensure that we provide an exceptional experience to all of our guests. Thank you again for your post and for choosing the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa. We hope to welcome you back again soon. Warm regards, Guest Service Manager
Lake Bluff, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

$$$ is what you pay. But the service and amenities are very disappointing. The room was "nice" , not great. No bathtub, and the soap amenities are very simple. We ordered a very simple meal from room service,salad, soup, pizza and dessert. It took 3 trips from room service to get the order correct. I do find it offensive when I pay over $800 a night and still have to pay for wi-fi, and to use the public hot tub. Really.
Spa was ok, massage was ok. Nothing at this location was great.
Oh, don't go to Big 3. Long wait for table. Long wait for expensive food. And if you ask for any changes ( like fruit instead of toast), be prepared for an up charge.
We left our room at 9am. Returned,tired,from our day out at 4:15 to find our room still had not been made up.
All in all, skip this hotel. Location pretty. Seemed they were understaffed, and the staff they had was untrained.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Fairmont S, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear JP, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Your feedback is very valuable to us and we do read all posts and ensure the management team is aware so that we may make any necessary improvements for the future. I sincerely apologize for the challenges and delays at the Big 3 Restaurant and with Housekeeping service. Also, some of our rooms feature a double-sized walk in shower instead of a bathtub, some have a shower/bathtub combination and our suites include a Jacuzzi tub; I am sorry you were not in your preferred arrangement this stay. We do offer complimentary wi-fi for our Fairmont President’s Club Members; this is our loyalty program that is free to join and I do regret if this was not communicated properly to you. Thank you again for your feedback; it is very important to us. Kind regards, Guest Service Manager
san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

As said by other reviewers here, the hotel is nice and service good but in no way rises to the level other hotels charging $600 plus a night. The location is good - 7 minute drive to downtown Sonoma. The area is very safe but, as noted by others, not the most ideal part of town. It is one of the few valley hotels not requiring a 2 night minimum on the weekend. The rooms have robes, slippers and a flat screen tv. We did not see any construction going on in the hotel like the older reviews here. My main complaint is that the hotel restaurant does not serve breakfast. I am not sure about lunch. You have to walk 1/8 mile across the grounds to a Fairmont coffee shop on the main highway, catering to non hotel guests, that resulted in a 20 minute wait on a Sunday at 10am for 2 of us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairmont S, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear Lynstersf, Thank you for choosing the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa and for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry for the delay in getting seated at our Big 3 Restaurant and for any disappointment with its location on the northeast corner of our grounds. We do have many different buildings on our property so it is a little bit like its own small city. We also offer In-Room Dining from 6am to 11pm daily for Guests to enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner in the convenience and privacy of their own room or suite. Thank you again for your feedback. We do hope to welcome you back to our resort when we would be delighted to have the opportunity to bring breakfast to you for a convenient, delicious dining experience. Warm regards, Guest Service Manager
SF Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I wasn't expecting a lot after seeing some of the other reviews, but was very happy to see what a lovely hotel Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn is. And we had a very nice room. Service couldn't have been any nicer or more helpful. We stayed in a Wine Country Junior Suite on the ground floor - it had a pretty little veranda, comfy bed, fireplace, good bath. (TV wasn't great, but no big deal. Internet and phone reception were spotty, had to sit in the right spot sometimes.) We did stay here through a discounted offer, so maybe if we'd paid $600 a night as some other reviewer did, that wouldn't have felt like good value. We also went on the guided 2-hour bike ride and that was quite enjoyable. Spa treatments were a bit on the extravagant side for me, so I didn't do any.

Room Tip: ground floor wine country junior suite
Green Features: They give away a lot of water bottles, we didn't use them and just drank tap water.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here several times, and it is wonderful. I love its individuality...it's not a "cookie cutter" hotel and spa. The grounds and spa are beautiful. I'm reminded of Hearst Castle when sitting in the spa pool! The rooms and service are impeccable. And the restaurant...SIMPLY AMAZING!!

• Stayed April 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel for a few days on a business trip. Staff is very friendly and very customer focused. I have been upgraded to a suite which was a very nice almost 400 sq foot room with a very nice view to the garden and a nice balcony.
Check in and check out was painless.
Internet rate is as in most of the hotels none sense price. However, you can join for free the Fairmont loyalty programme and internet service is free of charge.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main building seem to be a bit older than the rest of the hotel and there is not el...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Fairmont S, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear rjpepe, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back again soon. Warm regards, Guest Service Manager

Been to Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!