“Resort?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa

You added The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1325 Broadway at Leveroni & Napa Roads, Sonoma, CA 95476   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco
“Resort?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is sold as a "resort". The good: staff is really friendly and the shuttle to downtown is terrific. However, our room was not ready as promised at 4pm. This was irritating. The small pool, and tiny workout room was disappointing. Our cottage (5A) was cramped, furniture, window coverings, tile and carpeting & bathrooms old and tired, squeaky beds & hard uncomfortable, hard as a rock pillows. The refrigerator was noisy. It is obviously overpriced due to its location in wine country. Our cottage featured a tiny square of gravel outside our sliding glass door with an old metal table and two uncomfortable metal chairs, one has to wonder.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights after an unpleasant stay at a local Sonoma B&B. We walked in to check out rooms and pricing and the staff was very accommodating and couldn't have been more helpful or nicer. Showed us several options for rooms and we chose our location (16F). Very comfortable King bed suite with a nice view of mountains in the distance. We paid $299 per night after a small negotiation. We are also Marriott rewards members for a long time so that might have helped also.
Also have to give high marks to the Raindance Spa-I have only gone to one other spa that could top this one. Had a facial and full use of the facilities-very private and relaxing-exactly what a spa experience should be.
We ate one lunch and one breakfast at the restaurant on site and everything was delicious.
The only reason I would not give this a 5 star review is because town is a mile away-they do have a shuttle that goes into town. My husband and I ended up driving in each time and had no trouble parking.
We stayed here after the Indy car race in Sonoma. If we go back next year for the race this will be my first choice for accommodations.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Lodge for three nights. The cottage room was luxurious and a fair size. Staff was attentive when we needed them, but otherwise stayed out of our way.
Pool was beautiful and clean, yet unassuming. There were plenty of outdoor fireplaces to hang around in the evenings. Shuttle back and forth to downtown Sonoma was quick, efficient, and convenient.
I would recommend! Include a tour with Rosso Wine Tour Hosting for a top-notch experience.

• Stayed September 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We recently stayed here for a weekend with my wife and 2 teen age daughters. My wife insisted on spending the money ($489+tax) for a 2 bed hotel room over looking the pool. I wanted to stay in a different town to save some money but she wanted to be in Sonoma to walk to restaurants, stores etc. Well, she did not look close enough at this place because you are not walking to town from this location. It is a mile from town and we drove everywhere we wanted to go. So - look closely at the location if you want to be 'in town'. We did not use the shuttle service. We were not even aware that one existed. No one told us about it.

When I see the term 'resort' I am thinking of some place on many acres of land in a great location with views or some other reason to be there other than a pool. Well, this place has none of that. Simply load google maps satellite view of the place and you can see it is jammed into a small plot of land on a main state highway. If someone showed you that picture and asked you if this looked like a 'resort' you would say no way. The pool area was very nice, but very small for a 'resort'. We went to the pool at 7 pm and the place was a disaster. Used towels everywhere (no people there using them). Empty cups/plates all over the place and no clean towels available. We did not use the spa but maybe that is what makes it able to charge the outrageous amount for what is effectively a nice hotel room on a main highway, 1 mile from town.

The room was nice but the bathroom was not great. There are low flow water screens on the sink and shower. Maybe the town requires this, I don't know, but the sink was simply annoying to simply brush your teeth. The shower/tub area was designed terribly. You had to climb over a high, wide curb to get into and out of the tub. Could have easily fell doing that. In addition, the shower head is 1 foot away from the tub and the angle of the water was not great especially for a low flow shower.

The AC system is extremely noisy. Every time the fan turned on it banged loudly and woke me up several times (I am a light sleeper). So I tried to turn the fan to say on all the time and the AC did not work in that mode and ended up heating our room for the night.

The also have some goofy wifi setup that I was never able to get working on my phone. Was able to get laptop to work but not my phone....who knows. Could be much simpler system.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sayville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in August and absolutely loved it. The grounds are beautiful, the pool is refreshing and comfortable, with cushioned chaise lounges and some covered cabana type shelters. Our room was large and clean, with a gas fireplace that we used every night while sipping our wine. We also enjoyed sitting out on the balcony and felt that although it was facing the parking lot, we still had privacy. I treated myself to a 80 minute facial in the spa and felt so pampered.
We also used the free shuttle to the plaza a few times and never had a problem being picked up on time. The plaza was close enough to walk to, which we did a few times too. We appreciated the free wifi and wine tasting in the afternoon. The food at Carneros was delicious and the atmosphere quiet and comfortable.
If you're going to the plaza for breakfast (and I recommend that you do) try the French bakery - they have outside tables and their breakfast sandwiches are great.
All in all, this was a wonderful place to stay in Sonoma and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the rooms that are not attached to the main building and felt we had more privac...
Goldendale, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is a delightful place. We did Priceline and got a pretty good deal. Spent money in the excellent Carneros Bistro and the Raindance Spa. Any spa treatment gets you all day access to spa hot tubs and saunas. Definitely the most I have ever spent on a massage, but probably the best massage I have ever had. We never felt that our bargain priced room made us any less valuable a guest than anyone who paid rack rate. Beautiful grounds, pool and hot tub. Free shuttle to Sonoma Plaza and back (1 mile), Internet and afternoon wine tasting included in "resort fee." Mobility challenged people have a pool and hot tub lift available.

• Stayed September 2013
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent a week here celebrating our anniversary. From the bellman to the front desk staff, to the housekeeping staff and especially the spa attendants, everyone was friendly and really seemed interested in doing their part to ensuring our comfort. The restaurant was great for breakfast. We never had dinner there. The grounds were well kept and the pool was very nice, resort style! My only negative is that Room service ended at 10. A little early, I thought ant the shower was extremely small and in with the toilet. We stayed in a cottage room and though it could use updating, it was comfortable. My favorite area was the spa!
I would definitely recommend the Lodge and look forward to returning.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!