“Lovely Hotel in Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1325 Broadway at Leveroni & Napa Roads, Sonoma, CA 95476   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Up To 20% Off Resorts
Ranked #5 of 11 hotels in Sonoma
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Lovely Hotel in Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was our second stay at the Lodge, and we definitely enjoyed it. This is a beautiful and modern hotel, but it has plenty of Wine Country charm. We are loyal Marriott travelers, and both times we have stayed, have received the complimentary upgrade to the suites. The suites have a fireplace, large (and very comfortable!) beds, soaking tubs, patio, etc. The rooms are also very clean and the staff is friendly and accommodating, which is always appreciated. The prices are a bit on the high side for this property, but comparable to similar properties in the area.

The location is a long walk from Sonoma Square, but the property offers a free shuttle in the afternoons and evenings (until 10:45PM I believe), which is great if you want to have a bottle of wine with dinner.

The only downside to this hotel is that the pool area can get very crowded and even rowdy, which does not lend itself to relaxation. There are plenty of chairs, but I saw many, many used towels and cups laying around the pool area even after it emptied out in the evening. It could have just been a particularly busy weekend when we stayed, but it was something I noticed.

Overall, great property in a great location. We will absolutely stay again when in Wine Country.

Room Tip: If you can, go for the suite/standalone rooms. It is a little quieter towards the back of the proper...

695 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and stayed here for 3 nights in mid-June. My wife has stayed here before and says it is one of her favorite properties. The check-in was quick and effortless. We were upgraded to an upstairs cottage room. It was very clean, well-appointed with tub/shower, fireplace and a big comfy bed. The wine and cheese platter waiting for us was a very nice touch. We enjoyed the pool/spa everyday of our stay and lunched/snacked from the Bean & Bottle (nice poolside service as well). Unfortunately, we did not try the Carneros Bistro. Heard good things about it (read an article about the sommalier, too), but the plethora of restaurants in downtown Sonoma, as well as (fairly) nearby Napa and Yountville limited us. The location is "southern" compared to most of the wineries and other towns, but the drives are beautiful so we rarely minded. It is about a mile walk to downtown, but sure didn't seem it (I'm told there is a hotel shuttle, too). The staff is very friendly and helpful. The concierge pointed us to a lot of fun activities. Well done.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs cottage room, if available, but the rooms in the main building are probably very...
Green Features: The hotel uses compostable cups at all their "hydration stations".
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
67SonomaFan, Director of Operations at The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for the awesome feedback! On your next visit, definitely try Carneros Bistro! Guests are often hesitant to try the on-site restaurant at a hotel, but our food is absolutely amazing and the scores have never been higher. We look forward to seeing you back at the Lodge at Sonoma in the very near future!

Justin
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I spent a weekend at The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa. We stayed in a cottage with a king size bed, sitting area with fire place, tub and shower.
Room was comfortable and cleaned spotless.

On a very minor negative side – just a few pieces of tissue in the box, a very skimpy quantity of tea, coffee and creamer.
Good for a special occasion when planning to use available variety of $$$$ services. Way too costly just for the overnight stay.

Room Tip: Good for a special occasions when planning to use available services. Way too costly just for the o...
Westminster, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I was expecting so much more from this hotel. It was nice, but not 4-star worthy in my experience.

The pros:
-The staff! The staff were awesome. From being greeted from the moment I stepped into the lobby to help finding my room, the staff were accommodating and extremely nice.
-The shuttle was nice to have and useful.
-The pool area (although I didn't get a chance to use it) was beautiful, had plenty of chairs, and it seemed extremely popular.
-The beds were comfortable.
-You CAN walk to the square, if you feel like taking a nice long stroll through a neighborhood (and then walking down a busy street sidewalk for a couple blocks)

The cons:
-The location is not extremely near the square. It's about a mile away (which was a fine walk or you can hop on the shuttle), but if you're looking for a hotel at the square, this is not the one for you.
-No free breakfast. I know this isn't something I was expecting, but it's always nice to be able to grab a bowl of cereal or some coffee before getting moving in the morning.

Cons that might be specific to my experience:
-NOISE! My room was on the 2nd floor, but right next to event rooms and the lobby. I could hear the lobby noise with the door shut and the TV on. This didn't particularly keep me awake since I was so tired, but it was not ideal for a nice getaway.
-The view from my room overlooked the street, train town, and the hotel restaurant. It wasn't so nice.
-My bathroom was NOT clean. There were random hairs (that didn't belong to me) everywhere in the shower and sink area. It was gross.
-When we did request the shuttle, it took quite a while to get a driver out. Once the driver came he was extremely pleasant though.

All in all, I'm okay with this hotel since I got an awesome deal on staying, but rather displeased with it overall. There are better rooms that aren't near the lobby and I imagine would've been quieter. Not sure about the cleanliness.

Room Tip: Do not get a room near the lobby.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel several times and love the location, the comfortable rooms, and helpful staff - always a relaxing and enjoyable stay. The shuttle for the short trip to downtown Sonoma a big plus. After our last visit, we were at the airport when we realized we had left some things in the room. The concierge, Elizabeth, immediately understood our concern and urgency, and went to the room, where housekeeping had found our items. She quickly called us back to let us know the items had been found and she would send them to us - all before we boarded. The awareness of our concern and the need for a quick response meant a great deal to us and show the helpful nature of the staff - Many thanks!

arroyo grande
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I used my Marriott points recently to book two nights at The Lodge - Rennaisance Resort in Sonoma, CA, and made reservations two months in advance. There are suppose to be benefits, including upgrades if available, from being a Rewards Club member but I found none at this establishment. All of their Inn rooms, with the exception of the cottage type rooms behind the main building, are standard but very attractive rooms, in which case the benefit of having a nicer room is strictly "location." I was given a room facing the front of the Inn looking at the home improvement center across Broadway Street, which is the main thoroughfare leading into downtown Sonoma. Additionally, this room was adjacent to the second floor conference center and directly across from the public bathrooms.

My reservation was mid-week and I was an early afternoon arrival, at a time when many rooms were available. I immediately asked to be placed into a different room, preferably one overlooking the pool and center courtyard. Although many were currently vacant, the guest relations manager refused to move me, stating a big group was coming in and they had pre-assigned many of the rooms. I then asked to be placed in a more quiet spot and guest relations again refused my request. A short time later there must have been a shift change because another guest relations manager called to ask about the accommodations. I, once again made another request for either a Rewards Member upgrade or another room in a different location. This guest relations person simply ignored my request at which time I asked to speak with the Hotel manager. She said he would call me but I never heard from anyone again. I feel that some accommodation could have been made as rooms were available.

The entire experience made me feel that I was actually being discriminated against because I was a Rewards Club member and not a cash paying guest. I opted not to stay an additional night at the location and made a reservation at a 5-Star resort in Napa. Upon check-in to that location, a number of rooms were apparently available and they immediately upgraded me to their "Superior" room without my having to say a word. Wow! What a difference in customer relations...and I was not even a member of any rewards plan with this new resort.

Marriott is just too big a corporation that apparently feels they do not need to show any loyalty to their Rewards Club members...too bad!!!

Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Lovely one night stay in this resort with friends. There was always plenty of staff to assist us with everything from opening doors to getting poolside drinks. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and sophistication of this resort. They offer shuttle service to downtown Sonoma (1 mile away).

The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were large with a nice balcony overlooking the pool. Even on a very hot Saturday night, the noise from the pool area was not distracting from the serenity of the resort.

Cindy, at concierge, was very helpful in explaining area to us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main lodge, overlooking the pool
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
67SonomaFan, Director of Operations at The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you! We are fortunate to have an amazing staff who truly understands what guest service is all about. Please come back soon!

Justin

Been to The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!