“Low Key Luxury in the Heart of Sonoma” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$100 Resort Credit Offer
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
GreenLeadersGold level
“Low Key Luxury in the Heart of Sonoma”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I visted Sonoma after a business trip to San Francisco in the third week of June and was reminded of the lovely time I had ten years prior....only difference now is that the town square offers more satellite or stand alone wine tasting rooms than ever before. When looking for a place to stay, I actually checked Trip Advisor first (my prior visits included B&Bs and the Sonoma Mission Inn and & Spa) and noticed that MacArthur Place had great reviews.

More than any other hotel/inn in recent memory (and I travel a lot), MacArthur Place had by far the most helpful and attentive phone reservation agents. They offered advice on driving directions (NASCAR was in town), restaurants, the spa, wineries, shops, etc. And when it came to hotel rooms and what made sense for a varying number of female friends staying together, they were honest and sensitive to financial as well as personal needs.

The room we ended up with is lovingly referred to as a "Ya Ya Deluxe" - nicely accomodating 3 people with a spacious bathroom and right next to the spa. We arrived to find champagne, yummy chocolates and tasteful decor. I'd say it was slightly better than I expected.

Two of us had spa appointments that Friday evening and although the spa is small, the treatment rooms are well appointed (very nice tubs) and the services (lavender dream for me) were great (also fairly priced).

We did eat one dinner on-site and although Saddles has cool decor, the food was not as good as I had hoped (by wine country standards).

Overall, great place and I'd stay there any time. Cheers to the staff.

Room Tip: Phone agents will help you through this - look at pictures.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We had our wedding here in May 2014. Linda, the event co-ordinator, and the whole team at MacArthur made it an easy, stress-free and memorable event. When we arrived, the scent from the garden swept us off our feet and created a fairy tale atmosphere for us. The steakhouse was amazing! The whole facility was family friendly and also allowed every couple/family to have privacy and space to themselves. Costs are on the high side but well worth it down to all the little details.

Room Tip: The "Secret Garden" like feel of this venue made every room location seem amazing. We sta...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Wow, wow, wow. MacArthur Inn exceeded my expectations. We were upgraded and fell in love with the room, the balcony and even the bathroom ( the olive oil soap is fantastic ). We were treated to a yummy bottle of champagne and there was wine and cheese in the pm. The location is a quick walk into town where there are plenty of restaurants to choose from ( the hotel restaurant was excellent too). A great experience all around.

• Stayed July 2014
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I don't even know where to start. I love MacArthur Place so much. My husband and I have stayed at this Inn from time to time over the past 10 years. Every time we go to Northern California it is a MUST on our list. And every time we go, it just gets better. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, the rooms are a perfect blend of comfy and sumptuous, the food is outstanding, the gardens impeccable but not fussy. The pool is not huge but it is the perfect temperature and so peaceful and relaxing. The spa is the best I've ever been too, and I'm a bit of a spa addict! You can easily walk to town, or take a bike through the vineyards. Or just take a lazy stroll around the grounds of the Inn that are filled with amazing sculptures. It really is the definition of Heaven on Earth. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Honestly all the rooms are beautiful. But if you can get a garden spa suite, they are the most fabul...
Green Features: I know for sure that the gardens are maintained in a very environmentally friendly way. And they locally source as many things as possible: from the bathroom toiletries, to the restaurant's produce, to the adorable Sonoma Lavendar stuffed animals in the gift shop.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Loved this hotel. Beautiful room, beautiful grounds, employees could not have been more friendly and helpful.

Would have been five stars but our shower head wasn't working properly and the jacuzzi wouldn't start. Small stuff. Stay here!

• Stayed June 2014
Burke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

MacArthur Place is a beautiful and serene inn -- great for a romantic getaway. My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our 30th anniversary. The rooms are beautifully decorated, comfortable, and clean. The gardens with their winding paths provide a sense of relaxation just walking through them. Highly recommend the restaurant, Saddles, as well. And, the staff is so friendly and helpful. They are the ones that make this place special. I really appreciated Bunky's guidance and suggestions putting together our daily itinerary. She listened to the kinds of things we liked and her recommendations were just perfect, from restaurants to wineries to our hot air balloon ride. I'd recommend MacArthur Place to any of my friends.

Room Tip: Get a room with a rain shower. Absolutely the best!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

As beautiful as Sonoma is, it isn't blessed with great hotel options. On our first visit to Sonoma last year we stayed in the Marriott, which was a real disappointment; poor service and noisy, uninspiring rooms. This year we booked in advance and managed to get a room at MacArthur Place. I can now see why it gets booked up so early. It's quite unassuming on a side street about 15 mins walk from the Plaza, you could easily walk pass and miss it. Once inside it oozes charm and is cosy and inviting. The hospitality of the staff on arrival is really touching so you immediately start to relax.

Lovely pool and spa area surrounded by well tended and pretty gardens. The decor throughout is quaint, french country style and there are several public areas to spend time, such as the library where complementary wine and cheese was served every evening. Nice touch.

Rooms are spacious, bright and nicely decorated too. Bathroom is also large and the shower is really powerful. Although there are 4 rooms per house, we didn't hear anything from neighbouring rooms, despite it being almost full occupancy.

Breakfast buffet was adequate. Although I can't think of what I missed specifically it just felt sparse and a little unimaginative when eating there on consecutive days. The breakfast room was lovely though and the service generally good.

What we appreciated most was the helpfulness of the staff and their local knowledge, which they were more than happy to share with us. In particular, for wineries, cycle routes and hikes, Justin and Nancy were invaluable and always enthusiastic about offering advice.

All in all, great location, great service and lovely relaxing experience. Thank you

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!