“Electric Cars and How Macarthur Place Defines Service” 5 of 5 stars

Summer Garden Spa Special
Ranked #1 of 11 hotels in Sonoma
GreenLeadersGold level
Palo Alto, California, United States
“Electric Cars and How Macarthur Place Defines Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Yes, the location is superb. Yes, our room was great. Yes, the continental breakfast was really good. Now note the number of responses to Trip Advisor comments from Bill Blum, the hotel's general manager. It is an indication of how much this hotel cares about its guests. We loved Macarthur Place, and I think that it is attention to guest's needs sets it apart. Here is my story.

My car is a Tesla Model S. For those of you who don't know, the Tesla is a fully electric car. While the car has a range of over 200 miles I was going to need to recharge on my trip to the Wine Country. I was hoping to find a high power (240 volt) outlet at which to do this in Sonoma. When my internet search for charging stations came up empty I called Macarthur Place and Mr. Blum was happy to work with me to install one at the hotel in time for our visit. I had planned ahead and started working with Mr. Blum a month before our trip. Three days before the trip he e-mailed me to say that the installation was complete! This was not a small effort in terms or time or money on the part of Macarthur Place.

I travel a great deal, and I travel around the world. I've never before had such great personal attention from a hotel.

A note to electric car owners in general and Tesla Model S owners in particular: Macarthur Place installed two NEMA 14-50 outlets for your charging pleasure. This is THE place to stay in the Sonoma Valley area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
sonomabb, General Manager at MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Mr. Berman,
Thank you for your nice review! It was a real pleasure getting to meet you and your wife during your visit and seeing the green "fully charged" light on your Tesla in the morning after it was charged. As part of our green program here at MacArthur Place, putting in electric charging stations for our guests has been a goal of mine for a couple years now so I can't thank you enough for all of your advice and the advice and help from the people at Tesla on getting this done. Since your review two days ago we have already had two reservations from electric vehicle owners so again a BIG thank you! We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Bill Blum

480 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My hubby and I stayed a night this past week, and were very impressed! We had a cozy room in the Manor area, and were really happy with everything. The best thing about this place are the little touches, starting with the turn down service, which is standard, I realize, but here includes the next day's weather forecast on a little card next to the chocolate and spa sample product. I'm sure this takes 2 seconds, but what a nice little touch! I used the work-out facilities and the machines are top-notch- fancier than I've seen at any other place I've stayed. The best little touch there was the chilled mint-scented washcloths to freshen up after your work out. Fancy! And breakfast is delightful too- great and bountiful buffet that technically qualifies as continental, but is truly delicious. My favorite part was the fruit salad with the vanilla syrup on top- like everything else, it just elevates MacArthur Place up a notch. I would definitely stay here again, and next time for a longer stay.

Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

From the moment you walk into the reception area you feel welcome at MacArthur Place. The library has a great fireplace and every evening there is a wine tasting whit cheeses. There is also a complimentary continental breakfast each morning. One can also order from the breakfast menu- the bacon is the best! Nice and crisp. Saddles restaurant is on site and easily assessable for dinner reservations. The Prime rib is rare and enough for two to share. The rooms are spacious with lounge chairs in front of the wood burning fireplaces. Great luxurious robes. The bed could benefit from a pillow top which would make it softer. We had a nice balcony overlooking the property. The pool is clean and well stocked with comfortable chairs- should have service though extended throughout the hours the pool is opened. Would be nice to have croquet on the lawn. The Inn is within walking distance to the town square. Streets are well lit and safe. All in all a great experience.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Very nice location, superb gardens and outstanding service. Complimentary breakfast was very good. Complimentary wine tasking at 5 PM (could not attend, but much appreciated). Internet connection was reliable but very slow.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
sonomabb, General Manager at MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your nice comments about the hotel, breakfast, gardens and service!
I would like to apologize for the slower than normal Internet connection. We had one of our access points go out which I believe affected the speed where your room was located and it is currently being repaired.
Bill Blum
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My husband and I came here to unwind for a few days after our wedding and we could not have picked a more perfect spot. The entire property is beautiful, the grounds are lush and private and this place offers tons of perks. They have a DVD library where you can check movies out for free, they have bikes you can borrow, they offer a wine and chews reception every night at no additional cost and the "continental" breakfast is more robust than any other I have seen. We also treated ourselves to a spa treatment and were equally as impressed there as we were everywhere else. We plan to return this year to celebrate our first anniversary.

I highly recommend this place for a wine country retreat, however it may not be the most family friendly as the atmosphere is serene and spa like.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Concord, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed 3 nights for my wife's birthday. Before we arrived I contacted the concierge and arranged a couple of wine tours. They were extremely helpful. As a matter of fact, all the personnel we had dealings with were very pleasant. The hotel setting and location is wonderful. It is just a quick walk to downtown and located right next to a small city park which has a walking path leading to another park.

My problem is this is a very expensive hotel and when paying very high prices then my expectations are equally high. One of the first things I noticed when we entered the room was the refrigerator. Too bad it had no space for left overs from the great nearby restaurants because it was full of items for sale. This is the sort of thing I expect to see in the large chain hotels in large cities, not in a boutique hotel. Many other similar hotels we have frequented provided us with complimentary refreshments, even it was water and soda. Then we had some minor service issues. We had a bottle of champagne we wanted iced for when we returned to the hotel. I left the ice bucket and bottle on the chair with a note asking for the bottle to be placed in ice so we could drink it upon our return. When we got back to the room the bucket and note had been moved to the table - with no ice. They had to pick the note up but simply ignored the request. We also had a problem in the restaurant. I ordered a grilled artichoke salad and when it arrived no part of the artichoke was edible - even the artichoke heart. It was disappointing and caused us to avoid future dinners there. Finally we had a major issue with the wi-fi system. When we arrived there was no signal in the room. I reported the problem and was soon told that a tech was working on the problem. A very weak wi-fi signal finally appeared but was intermittent and not usable by our iPhones. However, our laptop was able to hold a connection long enough to download some charts needed for a teleconference my wife needed to participate in.
We had a garden spa suite and it was very nice overall. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was great. For the price charged though I don't believe the value was there. We agreed we would try other hotels when we return to the Sonoma area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your sharing your comments. I'm very glad to hear you enjoyed the setting, location, concierge service and the helpfulness of our staff. I would like to apologize for the areas where we fell short during your visit and I have spoken to both our housekeeping department and Chef. We have a wireless system with more than 20 access points which usually performs very well, however during your visit one of our access points went out which affected the speed for several of our guests and it is currently being repaired. Our refreshment center is an in-room amenity as Sonoma tends to close up early and it gives our guests some late night options to enjoy snacks and beverages in their room. We use larger refrigerators and try and leave space for guest use, and we don't put sensors on the products so items can be removed to create more space if needed (and we are happy to assist with that as well.) While we don't provide complimentary in-room refreshments as you have enjoyed at other properties, we do try and offer a number of complimentary amenities to our guests such as in-room Keurig Coffee, daily continental breakfast buffet and evening wine and cheese reception, parking, wireless Internet, movies and 24-hour coffee in our Lobby. Again, thank you for your comments as it helps us identify areas where we can improve!
Bill Blum, General Manager
New Kensington, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is a beautiful property in an ideal location and our room (#4) was exquisite and quiet even though located in the oldest building on the property. What was disappointing was the lack of attention to detail that I've come to expect in a luxury resort/hotel. The quaint walkways between buildings were not illuminated at night even though landscape style lighting fixtures were placed. This made it extremely difficult to get to our great room at night. Mold! That's right, mold. Not a lot but very visible and disturbing for a property of this quality. Finally, I was forced to ask for replacement soap and shampoo even though the empty containers were left on the counter or shower. These were unfortunate blemishes to an otherwise good resort hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your nice comments about your room and the property. I also appreciate the feedback you provided us upon check out as that is the best way for us to improve. Attention to detail is something we take pride in, so when we fall short we take it very seriously. I have spoken to housekeeping about the issues you experienced and I also checked with our maintenance department and we discovered the problem with the pathway lighting.
We hope to see you back again on your next visit to Sonoma!
Bill Blum, General Manager

Been to MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!