“Great property, not quite the luxury I expected” 3 of 5 stars

Garden Spa Special - $95
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
GreenLeadersGold level
Mountain View,
“Great property, not quite the luxury I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

We reserved a premium suite for two nights in the long weekend and paid $550/night. For that money, you expect actual luxury and not what we got.
The property:
Is great, very green and private. Great location (walking distance from downtown Sonoma) and beautiful gardens.
The room:
The suite was nice, with a nice bed, fireplace and a balcony. However, it was nothing to write home about. Something like a larger room in a nice holiday inn / Marriott Courtyard, but with some additional details. The small kitchenette wasn't well equipped (only coffee), and the bath accessories were basic (again, something like a nice basic hotel.) The bath was very big, with great water stream and a nice shower and a jacuzzi-bath.
The service:
Was good, we were greeted when we checked in and they answered any question we had. However, it wasn't quite what you expect for this kind of price. I expected some more orientation to details. For example, we were not given cocktails vouchers and water when we checked in, like others I saw getting when I was waiting to check in. Also, when I called to ask about smoking in the property I got a long lecture about what would happen if I smoked in the room (I think I can understand that meaning of a "non-smoking room..")
Last, when we used some of the bath stuff (shampoo, conditioner etc.) - they were not replaced/filled in the following day which I think is cheap. If I am using half of the shower gel, I expect a new one on the following day, especially when I still have more than a day in the room.
The food:
Was much less luxurious than expected. It's okay to serve continental breakfast (although my partner insists it isn't for this price), but at least it should be a quality one. The breakfast is served in the Saddles cafe and is (to say the least) basic: the same old bagels and jam you expect in a Holiday Inn. Even the brand of the jam is the same... Some boring pastries and I was even charged for a Latte (instead of the basic coffee.) Again, this is completely acceptable when you pay $100 a night but not when you pay $550.

To summarize: if you are going to spend this kind of money, I can recommend much much better places to do that and get actual luxury and not just a nice B&B.

Room Tip: Get either the cabana ones or the cehapest
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

Great Location. Fabulous grounds, beautiful flowers, outdoor heated pool. Room was amazing! We payed for the basic queen room and they upgraded us to a king, balcony sweet. Huge room, fireplace, and sitting area. Very cozy. Bathroom was amazing. Separate tub, really cool shower and great spa quality towels, robe, and shower gels. The breakfast was really nice. Had dinner at Saddles (onsite restaurant) and it was delicious but a little pricey. All in all, I did lots of research online and felt like we good a luxury B &B for about 250.00 per night. Didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: King suite upper floor with balcony was great.
Glenview
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

We felt like we were on our own retreat in a very beautiful setting. The flowering plants and art work throughout the grounds were well planned and just beautiful. Had a great massage with Beverly. Did not dine at Saddles but morning breakfasts were very good. Highly recommend this great find!

Room Tip: Outdoor bathtub and shower... one of a kind find!
Macungie, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

The descriptions of MacArthur Place all talked about gardens, landscapes, etc. They didn't begin to do justice to the beautiful flowers that were everywhere during our May visit. We loved everything about this place - lovely setting, quiet and relaxing, very comfortable rooms, and great people.

If you are wine tasting novice, talk to Nancy at the front desk. She asked what we wanted to do (taste some wine, and see some sights) and set us up with a great day of wine tasting.

Wish it were just a bit closer to the main square in town. It is walkable, but a bit of a walk.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

I have stayed at many spas, and hotels - none of which can compare to MacArthur place. The units are all beautiful. I was lucky enough to stay in a suite, so can only report on that.
- big fluffy bed? Check
- fireplace in my room? Check
- free Internet? Check
- free breakfast, parking and happy hour? Check
- lots of happy people making you feel special? Check

I love the Sonoma side of the wine country, it's laid back and beautiful. The MacArthur place makes you feel like you're in a special place. I love the location, as it's a short walk to the square. I love the grounds, as there are many beautiful sculptures to admire. There is also a great restaurant on site. Pool, spa and workout facility are all first rate.

Leave the long carpeted hallways behind, and stay in this plantation style beauty.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room if you have heavy bags
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

A belated review... We stayed at MacArthur Place over Memorial Day 2010 during a wine country trip with friends (another couple). We were initially drawn to the property by its very generous holiday weekend package - room and breakfast - which priced it well below similar properties during the peak season, holiday weekend. We were quite pleased with our stay and felt like we got very good value for the price of the room.
The grounds are very quaint, gardens well maintained, and a giant life-sized chess board which my husband and his friend loved pondering over. The pool was small but quite tranquil, the rooms comfortable although a little worn in places.
The location (outside of the square) makes a car a must - although I can't imagine many wine trips being planned without a car as there is considerable territory to be covered. The neighborhood around the Inn is very picturesque and when my husband and I went jogging in the mornings we were able to run along the borders of a lovely vineyard as well as very posh homes.
The service throughout our stay was excellent and very personal - the reception desk was always staffed and the staff were very helpful for directions, comps to free wine tastings, and discounts at local restaurants. We didn't eat dinner at Saddles but enjoyed breakfast daily and went several times for drinks in the evening. I'm terribly lactose intolerant and the server in the bar was able to come up with a whole array of dairy free options for me one night when I wanted a late snack (very valued in a land of cheese!). AJ, the "Chief Feline Officer" visited us throughout our stay and is a very nice, homey touch. The library has a full array of DVDs which is also a nice asset for a relaxing evening after a day of wine tasting!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Manhattan Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

Stayed at MacArthur Place in their Garden Cottage suite which was very comfortable and spacious. Very generous sized bathroom and closet as well. Evening turn down service did not include replacing used towels. Major disappointed is they touted a fire place in the bedroom, but only offered a "Duraflame" type of log. They explained it is a lot cleaner and they don't have to deal with the ash cleanup. Real logs would have been much better!

Pool furniture is very tired and needs refinishing (teak wood). Gym was very small, though adequate at this time of year; probably too small in peak season. SPA service was good, but ran extremely late which isn't conducive to relaxation.

Room Tip: check their website frequently for better deals.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!