“Location, location, location plus fine dining” 4 of 5 stars

El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   405 First St. W, Sonoma, CA 95476   |
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Atlanta
“Location, location, location plus fine dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This is my fourth stay at this terrific hotel. I first visited over seven years ago, and I am sad to report that the price has nearly doubled since then for a June weekend night. That is where my complaining ends.

The complimentary coffee is a great way to start the day. You can enjoy breakfast at the hotel's restaurant - which I usually enjoy for dinner and drinks - but I generally head next door. There is also a small pool onsite as well as a small parking lot and free street parking.

The rooms are small but the best part of this hotel is location. Our room overlooked the girl and the fig restaurant. I always love the sleek and simple decor as well as the high-end EQ toiletries in the room. The bed was super comfortable. My husband DIED for the pillows (I had to take a pic of the brand to buy for myself.) I also enjoy that the rooms have a cooler and keep filtered water available for your post-wine tasting hydration.

I will always stay here when I am in Sonoma (assuming you can get a reservation, which is hard to come by... and usually the other reason I complain about this hotel).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

My Husband and I stayed here for a night recently on a quick visit to the Sonoma Valley. We loved the Sonoma area and this hotel. The hotel is perfectly located in the town centre and has free parking on site. The hotel is a historic building with character which we really appreciated. Our bed was really comfortable, we had a balcony looking out to the giant fig tree and pool area which was nice. The hotel and our room had a nice 'zen' feel to it, it was well priced and next door to a great cafe that does great breakfasts. The hotel has a great restaurant on site and there are quite a few great restaurants within a 1 minute walking distance.

Loved our stay and will hopefully be back on day soon!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Nice, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Feel like you are in a getaway in a lovely villa in Italy or Mexico. Wonderful rooms and great place to dine and enjoy cocktails in the beautiful garden year around. Park your car for the weekend and leave it then walk around exploring Sonoma's wonderful square.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rock Island, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

We only stayed there 1 night but it was great. Comfortable bed, great atmosphere, really comfortable beds/lounge chairs by the pool. Looking forward to my next stay in Sonoma and have already booked my room at The Eldorado!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1,698 helpful votes 1,698 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

We were in the area for a week on business with my daughter, her infant son and husband. We had two rooms for 3 nights here. I chose this hotel for us because of the location; we would be able to walk to restaurants and shops during the day while the guys were working in nearby Petaluma. Our rooms were upstairs, right off of the main lobby. Our room was down the hall a bit with a view of the inner courtyard and my daughter's was close to the stairs, with a view of the street. She ended up moving to a cottage after one night becuase of concsturction noise.

Everyone we encountered was very pleasant and helpful. The rooms are immaculate with small refrigerators and bottled water. We loved having meals right at El Dorado Kitchen, one lunch was out on the patio which was very nice. We enjoyed walking to lunch at girl and the fig and Swiss Hotel during the week and wine tasting at Roche Family Vineyards. The only problem we encountered during the stay was the construction work one afternoon and morning. They were putting new rain gutters on and the pounding was very annoying.

We enjoyed lounging by the small pool and ordered lunch to the pool one day. There was a cozy fire going at 5:00 am when we down to the lobby to work one morning and the front desk person started the coffee early for us. Breakfast is not included with your room but the restaurant is very, very good.

We would definitely return again to this hotel and I highly recommend it to anyone visiting the Sonoma area on business or pleasure..... or both! Thank you staff at El Dorado Hotel for making our stay very enjoyable. :)

Room Tip: The cottages in the back are more quiet but you do hear alot of noise from the restaurant all over h...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

It's a lovely hotel in many ways. But our experienced was marred by an external air-conditioner compressor which was located just below our room (we were in in #18 - AVOID!), which woke us up repeatedly through the night. We were too tired and discombobulated to want to face moving rooms in the middle of the night (we were only staying one night for a friends birthday), so raised it at check out the next morning with the manager.

Whilst apologetic, and totally admitting the noisiness of the room, the manager took the somewhat uncompromising stance that there was nothing that could be done, and no gesture that could be made to give meaning to her apology. She said if we had complained in the middle of the night she would have happily moved us, but since we didn't, that was just tough. Having had our experienced and our sleep so unpleasantly disrupted, a small gesture - an offer of an upgrade next time or a token discount - would have gone a long way to keep our good will and our return custom; both of which the hotel has now lost.

Room Tip: Avoid room 18 - with the noisy A/C unit outside!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We came here for a quick getaway and it was our first time staying at the hotel. The rooms are tidy and the staff is so nice and courteous.

We wanted to order room service right before the kitchen closed and they went out of their way to make sure our order was put in! The food is some of the best I've had in Sonoma.

I recommend taking advantage of their winter rates as the hotel and Sonoma in general is a lot less crowded. We'll definitely be back!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen? Share your experiences!