“Great Location, Nice Room, Small Bath” 4 of 5 stars

El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   405 First St. W, Sonoma, CA 95476   |
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Los Angeles, California
“Great Location, Nice Room, Small Bath”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, right on the corner of the square in Sonoma. The room was a good size with a balcony that looked onto the inside courtyard. They have raised the ceiling to very high, so it makes the room more spacious. New furnishings, TV, etc. The closet and bath are small. I realize this is because this is an old, historic building, but be prepared. Nice bath products made from grapes.
The restaurant is fantastic!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Redondo Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I wish I would have been more "wowed" by this hotel and its staff. It is perfectly located in the NE corner of the Sonoma Square. There are no elevators so I had to drag my bags up to the furst floor. The rooms are small, we had a room with a small balcony looking directly at ""The Girl & the Fig, the restaurant across the road. I had to keep the shades down or I would have given passerbys an unexpected show.

The room was so small that I had to put my toiletry bag and make up bag in the bedoom. I unpacked and luckily my hubby did not, since there was not enough space in the closet.or the shelfs near the refrigerator. The pool is a joke, and to walk out to the garage, you walk right by the maids stations. Lovely...

The bed was very comfy and provided a good nights rest. The hotel rooms were quite pricey for the small accomodations and lack of privacy provided. It was fun to stay on the square but I think next time I'd rather stay more at a resort type place, on my next trip. If you are going to pay the monies, get a better experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed and dined here one weekend for a getaway from the city. It's ideally located right on the lovely square of Sonoma. The rooms are large and the service friendly. The food and wine selection in the restaurant was very very good, if the service slightly cold. No hard feelings-- everything was wonderful-- we just thought the staff could be a touch more welcoming in the restaurant.

I'd definitely stay here again and would recommend this property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a wedding, it's a small boutique hotel right in the middle of Sonoma center. Great pool lounge area and the staff is so nice and helpful. I suggest asking go stay in room 16, 17, 18 or the rooms at the end of the hall they are bigger then the rest of the rooms with huge ceilings. Great restaurant too! Great stay! I'm def staying here again!!!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Masterton, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Had a lovely night at the Eldorado. Friendly staff, really helpful with all the various questions we asked. Lovely room with a little balcony. Great location right on the town square. All round great stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Rafael, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I had been to Sonoma three times in the past few years and tried to get a reservation at the El Dorado Hotel but it was always fully booked. I was really excited to get my boyfriend and I in there for a two night mid week getaway. I had seen the pictures of it's recently renovated rooms and it looked perfect for us. Sadly we were really disappointed; for starters, the rooms are tiny. We could hardly maneuver around the bed and we are not overweight people. There was no place to put our two suitcases as the queen size bed took up almost the whole room.

The mattress on the bed was the cheapest I think I have ever slept on. I travel three weeks of the month for business and stay in quite a few hotels, none have such cheap mattresses anymore. The El Dorado really made a big mistake scrimping when they purchased their beds. I never wake up with a sore back but both my boyfriend and I woke up aching both mornings.

Our room was overlooking the square and like others mention, it is really loud. A lot of delivery trucks and loud pickup trucks go by late at night and in the early morning.

Lastly on my complaints, the girl working at the front desk for the evening shift mid-week was really more interested in herself than customer service, big turnoff. We don't need someone to fawn all over us but just basic warm customer service when we are paying $220+ per room should be a given.

The one highlight of the El Dorado was the restaurant. The food was phenomenal and our waiter very good. Sadly I wish we had stayed elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, beware the cheap mattresses. Ask for a room facing the pool/courtyard, no...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Treg F, General Manager at El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Hello Ellie J,

Although I am happy to hear that you were eager to join us during your visit to Sonoma, it is disappointing to know that we were unable to live up to your expectations.

I am in full understanding of your comments concerning the size of the rooms and the quality of mattresses. These issues have been brought to our attention and we are currently working on a comprehensive remodel of the hotel rooms. Although El Dorado Hotel embraces the historic aspect of the building and its various room layouts and sizes, we hope to better appoint the rooms so our guests will not feel cramped while still enjoying the property's charm. The hotels remodel will include furnishing the rooms with higher quality mattresses - a good, rested night of sleep is needed while on vacation and we value this necessity. Unfortunately, as you experienced, El Dorado Hotel is located on the downtown Plaza and the ever-growing number of wonderful restaurants and lodging locations has resulted in quite a bit of commotion during the early hours. We have taken steps to reduce the effect this can have on our guests, but it remains a trying issue we continue to face along with other hotels and inns located downtown.

It is also disconcerting to hear you felt that one of our agents did not provide the welcome you deserve. I have spoken with this particular agent in hopes to improve on appropriate guest interaction. We have always prided ourselves in our interaction with guests and do not want such services to fall by the wayside.

Please know that I take all of your comments seriously and with every bit of intention on making El Dorad Hotel the place you will want to enjoy after a wonderful meal in our kitchen! It is my hope that you will join us again once our renovations are complete. We are very excited to be able to offer our guests a wonderfully refreshing experience in our new rooms that will surely build on the unique foundation El Dorado already possesses.

Despite your disappointing experience, I hope you were able to enjoy your time in Sonoma. Do feel free to contact me, if you have any questions or concerns.

Treg Finney
El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen
Castro Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

There are so many great restaurants in Sonoma. This one I'd say is pretty good but not the best.
The ambience is very nice and modern. Service was good considering we had a party of 10.
Pretty standard California wine country fare which tends to be good in general. Nothing too out of the ordinary.

I had the asparagus salad to start and the pork duo. Aspargaus sald was pretty standard. The pork duo was quite nice- juicy seared bacon wrapped tenderloin and a braised pork. The braised was quite tasty.

Other people at my table had:
Fried green tomatoes: Thumbs up
Beet salad: good
Cold leek soup: okay

Paella: eh... could be better
Duck: yum!
Lamb: Yum!
Pasta carbonara: who doesn't like anything with an egg yolk.

Overall, it was good. There are just so many places in Sonoma that I'd try others one before coming back here again and again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen? Share your experiences!