“Great Spot in Sonoma” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
San Francisco, California
“Great Spot in Sonoma”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed and dined here one weekend for a getaway from the city. It's ideally located right on the lovely square of Sonoma. The rooms are large and the service friendly. The food and wine selection in the restaurant was very very good, if the service slightly cold. No hard feelings-- everything was wonderful-- we just thought the staff could be a touch more welcoming in the restaurant.

I'd definitely stay here again and would recommend this property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a wedding, it's a small boutique hotel right in the middle of Sonoma center. Great pool lounge area and the staff is so nice and helpful. I suggest asking go stay in room 16, 17, 18 or the rooms at the end of the hall they are bigger then the rest of the rooms with huge ceilings. Great restaurant too! Great stay! I'm def staying here again!!!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Masterton, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Had a lovely night at the Eldorado. Friendly staff, really helpful with all the various questions we asked. Lovely room with a little balcony. Great location right on the town square. All round great stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Rafael, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I had been to Sonoma three times in the past few years and tried to get a reservation at the El Dorado Hotel but it was always fully booked. I was really excited to get my boyfriend and I in there for a two night mid week getaway. I had seen the pictures of it's recently renovated rooms and it looked perfect for us. Sadly we were really disappointed; for starters, the rooms are tiny. We could hardly maneuver around the bed and we are not overweight people. There was no place to put our two suitcases as the queen size bed took up almost the whole room.

The mattress on the bed was the cheapest I think I have ever slept on. I travel three weeks of the month for business and stay in quite a few hotels, none have such cheap mattresses anymore. The El Dorado really made a big mistake scrimping when they purchased their beds. I never wake up with a sore back but both my boyfriend and I woke up aching both mornings.

Our room was overlooking the square and like others mention, it is really loud. A lot of delivery trucks and loud pickup trucks go by late at night and in the early morning.

Lastly on my complaints, the girl working at the front desk for the evening shift mid-week was really more interested in herself than customer service, big turnoff. We don't need someone to fawn all over us but just basic warm customer service when we are paying $220+ per room should be a given.

The one highlight of the El Dorado was the restaurant. The food was phenomenal and our waiter very good. Sadly I wish we had stayed elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, beware the cheap mattresses. Ask for a room facing the pool/courtyard, no...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Treg F, General Manager at El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Hello Ellie J,

Although I am happy to hear that you were eager to join us during your visit to Sonoma, it is disappointing to know that we were unable to live up to your expectations.

I am in full understanding of your comments concerning the size of the rooms and the quality of mattresses. These issues have been brought to our attention and we are currently working on a comprehensive remodel of the hotel rooms. Although El Dorado Hotel embraces the historic aspect of the building and its various room layouts and sizes, we hope to better appoint the rooms so our guests will not feel cramped while still enjoying the property's charm. The hotels remodel will include furnishing the rooms with higher quality mattresses - a good, rested night of sleep is needed while on vacation and we value this necessity. Unfortunately, as you experienced, El Dorado Hotel is located on the downtown Plaza and the ever-growing number of wonderful restaurants and lodging locations has resulted in quite a bit of commotion during the early hours. We have taken steps to reduce the effect this can have on our guests, but it remains a trying issue we continue to face along with other hotels and inns located downtown.

It is also disconcerting to hear you felt that one of our agents did not provide the welcome you deserve. I have spoken with this particular agent in hopes to improve on appropriate guest interaction. We have always prided ourselves in our interaction with guests and do not want such services to fall by the wayside.

Please know that I take all of your comments seriously and with every bit of intention on making El Dorad Hotel the place you will want to enjoy after a wonderful meal in our kitchen! It is my hope that you will join us again once our renovations are complete. We are very excited to be able to offer our guests a wonderfully refreshing experience in our new rooms that will surely build on the unique foundation El Dorado already possesses.

Despite your disappointing experience, I hope you were able to enjoy your time in Sonoma. Do feel free to contact me, if you have any questions or concerns.

Treg Finney
El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen
Castro Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

There are so many great restaurants in Sonoma. This one I'd say is pretty good but not the best.
The ambience is very nice and modern. Service was good considering we had a party of 10.
Pretty standard California wine country fare which tends to be good in general. Nothing too out of the ordinary.

I had the asparagus salad to start and the pork duo. Aspargaus sald was pretty standard. The pork duo was quite nice- juicy seared bacon wrapped tenderloin and a braised pork. The braised was quite tasty.

Other people at my table had:
Fried green tomatoes: Thumbs up
Beet salad: good
Cold leek soup: okay

Paella: eh... could be better
Duck: yum!
Lamb: Yum!
Pasta carbonara: who doesn't like anything with an egg yolk.

Overall, it was good. There are just so many places in Sonoma that I'd try others one before coming back here again and again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you are looking to be in the square in Sonoma this is the place to stay! The rooms are clean and comfortable, the staff is friendly and helpful, the vibe is exactly what we expected, wine country cool!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel is more of a restaurant with rooms than a hotel. Way disappointed in our $200-$245/nt room and overall experience. No bungalow, unless you like hearing dump trucks & food trucks starting at 5am. It was so loud we could not leave our window open so we used the window unit air conditioner fan all night with the windows closed to drown out the outside noise. It was also cramped and has a nice patio although its not worthy of sitting outside due to the noise.The room was cramped and quite small and the one soap bar they offered barely made it the 3 days we were there. I was amply warned about the bed via these reviews, but little else. The bed was horrible. My back hurts after 3 nights.

They made no mention of all the construction that was going on. It made for some interesting conflicts coming and going from our room.

By the way, the E.D. are non-smoking grounds. Although the hired help smoked on the grounds within 15' of our room. I actually took a picture of all the cigarette butts on the ground where we walked from our room to the parking lot.

The breakfast was the highlight of the E.D. experience, simply fantastic. Although we were so disappointed in the experience we never ate there again.

One parting issue: we saved a wine bottle we loved from the girl and the fig and the maid through it away.

Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer T, Manager at El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
I would first like to express my sincere regret for the experience you had with us at El Dorado Hotel and my complete understanding of your grievances. It is always our aim and honest effort to show our guests an enjoyable time, as they have chosen to spend their trip with us in our beautiful town.

In order to provide a most comfortable stay for our guests, we have recently begun work to replace our hotel HVAC system. This occurred during your stay. Although we took precaution with warning our upcoming and new reservations, some reservations that came through online were mistakenly overlooked. It also came as a surprise to us that, during your stay, our neighboring properties behind and adjacent to us were undergoing construction. This has, unfortunately, continued to create an unexpected situation for us and our neighbors, even affecting hotel guests such as you.

The issue brought up regarding our non-smoking grounds and property employees, and guests alike, using our parking lot to indulge in this activity raises a concern for us. Because of our non-smoking grounds, many of our guests and employees who do smoke seek out the back lot as an area to do so. This issue must and will be addressed, as it is hard to make sense that one is hindered from smoking on their Bungalow patio when smoke drifts in from the parking lot just over the fence - not appealing. I will look into the situation of cigarette remains in the Bungalow area leading to the parking lot, as this is unheard of and is completely unacceptable. Our management team takes your concerns seriously and will discuss the matter further.

It is also a great disappointment that we could not provide for you the most basic of expectations when staying a hotel - a good night’s sleep. I am sorry to hear you felt cramped in your room and were provided with an uncomfortable, insufficient mattress. These issues will be brought to our team as we are currently gearing up for an earned remodel of our hotel rooms. I understand that a good rest is something every guest deserves so that they may be in the best of spirits to enjoy what it is we and the Sonoma Valley have to offer. It would be a pleasure, if you would be able to visit us once the changes have been made.

Again, I would like to honestly apologize for the very unfortunate stay you had with us. I guarantee you that your words have not been taken lightly and pushed aside. Each issue will be addressed, so our future guests will have better to report after their stay. I would like to offer you some compensation for your troubles. If you would be so kind as to contact me via the phone number or email address below, I would love to discuss how we can further attempt to amend this situation.

I hope your time at El Dorado Hotel did not hinder your ability to enjoy what Sonoma has to offer.

Kind Regards,

Kenneth Walter
Hotel Manager
kwalter@eldoradosonoma.com
707·996·3030

Been to El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen? Share your experiences!