“Great location, outdated amenities, very expensive!” 3 of 5 stars

Sonoma Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   110 W. Spain St., Sonoma, CA 95476   |
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
New York City, New York
“Great location, outdated amenities, very expensive!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The location is fabulous-- right on Sonoma Square. It's very quaint, however the rooms are small and the facilities are outdated. There is no elevator. We had to pay extra to have a third person in our hotel room, and even the largest room in the hotel was very crowded for the three of us-- and we're New Yorkers, so we're not used to very much space. (Side note: there isn't a full length mirror-- bring your own if you're getting ready for a wedding!)

The pastries served for breakfast were out-of-this-world delicious. Wake up hungry!

There's a great trail behind the hotel for hiking and running, and there's also a nice bike bath for casual strolling.

Overall, I had a good stay, but I think the price was too high given the size of the room and the outdated amenities.

Room Tip: Be prepared that they charge extra if you plan to have more than 2 guests in a room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Sonoma Hotel. It is at the corner of the square. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff is very friendly. In this tight net community you feel safe and free to be yourself. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: For better lighting to put on makeup choose a room with the vanity in the room and not the bathroom...
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

This was my 2nd visit, and it will not be my last, that I can guarantee.

Love the antiques throughout the hotel. Having stayed here before, I knew there was no elevator, so we repacked before arriving, leaving our big suitcases in the trunk and only brought our carry ons into the room. Street parking was close to the hotel. The beds were comfortable. Loved that there was air conditioning as it was a bit warm with the sunshine. Although in fall when the temps cool down, the windows can be opened.

Appreciated the continental breakfast - best sweet rolls and a nice variety to accompany the coffee, tea and juice offered. The wine sampling in the evening was a very nice touch.

Loved that the hotel was low in occupancy - I think a maximum of 16 people.

Great restaurant directly adjacent to the hotel.

Rest assured, I will be returning for a 3rd time and beyond.

Room Tip: Our room was directly over the street on what I think was the east side of the building, so we could...
Southampton PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Room was clean but on the third floor - no elevator. No amenities to speak of. Arrived in the evening after a long day of travel. Lukewarm welcome. Front desk staff during our stay was excellent or half asleep -varied from shift to shift. I expected better. Town is lovely (Except Tuesday evenings after market day. The local bars and roaring pickup trucks were out first impression of the town-the rest of the week was fine. Did not stay on weekend). No comfortable seating in room or lobby.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
coppell texas usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We found the hotel to be clean, comfortable, with friendly staff. The location is perfect! There is a good pastry selection for breakfast with a large variety of teas to choose from. I would suggest requesting a room on the 3rd floor due to creaking boards over head.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

A group of us stayed here for a weekend in March.
Pros: The location is great, right on the square. The rooms are small-ish but super clean and the price was reasonable. It's a historic hotel within walking distance to coffee and some great restaurants. (Girl and the Fig was sold out so we dined at the Harvest Moon Cafe which served fantastic food.) Coffee and OJ and some pastries are offered in the morning and wine in the afternoon. Rooms have air conditioning. We were on the front of the hotel and it was not noisy even with our window open.
Cons: I'm giving this hotel a decent review but actually our queen bed was wonky. It sagged in the middle which meant we had problems sleeping. Also, some of our friends complained about noise from other rooms. Check in was super slow due to their reservation system (so said the woman who checked us in.)

I would probably stay here again if I could give the bed a comfort test.
There is no room service and I'm giving a neutral rating for the restaurant since I don't consider Girl and the Fig part of the hotel, despite being connected.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bayfield, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We had booked a regular room with 2 beds but on the morning of our arrival I got a call from the hotel staff advising us that the housekeeper called in sick and that they would not be able to get our room cleaned in time, so would we mind taking a suite with 1 queen bed and a sofa bed in the living area? It was a lovely room and my daughter said the sofa bed was nice and comfortable. I had stayed at this hotel about 14 years earlier and I'm glad we went back. The building is old with wonderful creaky floors and stairs. We were on the 3rd floor and there is no elevator, but we managed. The bathroom was huge but could use a bit more counter/storage space for toiletries. Great location at the corner of the town square, so easy walking distance to lots of restaurants and tasting rooms. They have a free local wine happy hour and a simple but nice continental breakfast in the lobby. Parking is on the street and a bit hard to fine at times.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sonoma Hotel? Share your experiences!