“Not Worth the Price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 11 hotels in Sonoma
San Francisco, California
“Not Worth the Price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I recently stayed at the Sonoma Hotel for a wedding in Sonoma. The location was great, right next to the Sonoma square and surrounded by good restaurants, bars, wineries within walking distance. The rooms were nice but I expected much more based on the price. The shower water never got hot and shower pressure was so long that you needed to take half hour long showers. In addition, the walls were paper thin. You could hear conversations in the next room and being right on a busy street with thin windows, we didn't get much sleep. There was no AC and the rooms got extremely hot at night, also making sleep difficult.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

92 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Salem, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I spent a night in Room 22 of this 19th-Century hotel located on the northwest corner of the Sonoma town square. The room was exceptionally clean with a modern over sized shower.No antique claw-foot tub for me! There was plenty of room for one person and the bed was very comfortable. My visit was during a humid day in June and this fine hotel had no hint of mustiness.The location is where you want to be. A great place for walking right on Sonoma Square. If you park your car directly on the Square you have a time limit of 2-3 hours during the day. Any street off the square has no time limit. The restaurant "the girl & the fig" that features a wonderful antique bar is located off the cozy lobby. On a Monday night it defied the term "Slow-noma"...it was abuz with active people. My night in Sonoma was complete with a friendly people, good food and a comfortable bed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The hotel is located right next to the Sonoma square and walking distance to shops, restaurants, and bars. The hotel is noisy though due to it being in an older building. You can hear people's conversations as they walk through the corridors, hear people go up and down the stairs, and hear people walk around in their guest rooms. The curtains do not entirely cover the windows and light comes through as soon as the sun comes up - I recommend bringing an eye mask. The rooms are clean, well maintained, well decorated, and the bed was very comfortable.

Room Tip: I would recommend getting a room on the top floor that is not in a high traffic area.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Davie, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Delighted!!!!! We spent one night in a queen room with corner view with couple of friends in the neighboring room. As soon as we walked in, we realized this place is way nicer than website or recommendations show online. It is rustic looking, with French sort of charm to it, smells fresh, it's clean and it's in the heart of Sonoma town. Best part about it is the restaurant The Girl and The Fig, one of the best french places we've eaten (and it's four of us sharing the same opinion!). In addition, Mrs Patricia who was there in the morning, while we were enjoying our coffee and pastries, was very pleasant and helpful with any questions we asked. I would recommend this place to anyone and can not imagine that someone wouldn't like it. If you want stuck-up, sterile, modern hotel, this is not a place for you, but if you enjoy rustic, country, old school kinda bed and breakfast- Sonoma Hotel is a must!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Arlington, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Great location at the heart of Sonoma - with an amazing restaurant on the main floor, the Girl and the Fig. The staff was incredibly nice and the hotel had a decent breakfast, and a wine happy hour. The styling felt like a throw back to its historic roots, and for us it was a nice change, but not glamourous. The rooms were average to small in size, and it looked like all rooms required a hike up some stairs. Ours was on the third floor, which in July was fairly hot without air conditioning. We didn't mind it at all, but I think some people would view that negatively.
On street parking required us to park a few blocks away, but it helped us discover Roche Winery next door which was a great place to stop in for a tasting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed here two nights with my husband and during my stay, I formed two conflicting opinions of this place. During the day, it was ok. Our room was tiny, with a double and a twin bed and a tiny bathroom as well with a sink in the room. The room was cleaned impeccably and the sheets were fresh. The breakfast was nice, the selection of pastries was good, albeit all were a bit too sweet.

Some maintenance issues were apparent in the room. The sink drips, the lightbulb in the desk lamp was burnt out, and a plug was not working. The tv is outdated and should not be included with the listed amenities.

When it came time to sleep, I wanted to pack my bags, demand a refund and leave. I was pretty jet lagged and really needed to sleep, but I could hear voices of people standing outside the door, footsteps on the stairs and voices of the upstairs neighbors. In addition to that, the sink dripped all night, and intensified my frustration. It was the worst night of sleep in a hotel that I have ever gotten.

I mentioned the dripping sink to the ladies at front desk and they seemed surprised, made a note about it and said someone would take a look at it that day. Apparently that never happened, because the drip was in full force the following night. Additionally, after talking to another hotel guest who had a dripping sink problem as well, I have the impression that the owners just don't care enough to fix it.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. The price is far too high for the tiny room and lack of sound proofing. At the very least, the hotel should have a stock of ear plugs to hand out to their guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I picked this hotel because it was: (A) on the main square, and (B) "historic." I also liked that it was next door to "The Girl and the Fig," an excellent Bistro-style restaurant. I was disappointed because the hotel didn't have an elevator. I booked a "Petite Suite" but the room was located on the third floor. We had to schlep our full suitcases one at a time all the way up and down. That by itself wasn't too bad (who couldn't use a little exercise?), but I was also disappointed that the hotel didn't have any designated parking. We did have a little bit of trouble finding parking close to the hotel during the day. I booked a "Petite Suite" because it was supposed to have two beds, but the room was TINY. The second bed was a pull-out couch, but when we pulled it out, the bed took up most of the space in the room. The other bed was VERY comfortable (with a beautiful bedspread). One more disappointing thing: the place smelled a little musty. The website described the hotel as "historic," and it was, but it just looked a little old and in need of repair in some places. The continental breakfast was nice (only pastries, coffee, and tea), and the staff were extremely friendly, but I will choose another hotel with more of the modern amenities next time I go to Sonoma. I didn't have a bad experience at the Sonoma Hotel, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

Room Tip: Be warned: most of the rooms are TINY
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sonoma Hotel? Share your experiences!