“Charming and great location” 5 of 5 stars

Sonoma Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   110 W. Spain St., Sonoma, CA 95476   |
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Davie, Florida
“Charming and great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Delighted!!!!! We spent one night in a queen room with corner view with couple of friends in the neighboring room. As soon as we walked in, we realized this place is way nicer than website or recommendations show online. It is rustic looking, with French sort of charm to it, smells fresh, it's clean and it's in the heart of Sonoma town. Best part about it is the restaurant The Girl and The Fig, one of the best french places we've eaten (and it's four of us sharing the same opinion!). In addition, Mrs Patricia who was there in the morning, while we were enjoying our coffee and pastries, was very pleasant and helpful with any questions we asked. I would recommend this place to anyone and can not imagine that someone wouldn't like it. If you want stuck-up, sterile, modern hotel, this is not a place for you, but if you enjoy rustic, country, old school kinda bed and breakfast- Sonoma Hotel is a must!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Arlington, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Great location at the heart of Sonoma - with an amazing restaurant on the main floor, the Girl and the Fig. The staff was incredibly nice and the hotel had a decent breakfast, and a wine happy hour. The styling felt like a throw back to its historic roots, and for us it was a nice change, but not glamourous. The rooms were average to small in size, and it looked like all rooms required a hike up some stairs. Ours was on the third floor, which in July was fairly hot without air conditioning. We didn't mind it at all, but I think some people would view that negatively.
On street parking required us to park a few blocks away, but it helped us discover Roche Winery next door which was a great place to stop in for a tasting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed here two nights with my husband and during my stay, I formed two conflicting opinions of this place. During the day, it was ok. Our room was tiny, with a double and a twin bed and a tiny bathroom as well with a sink in the room. The room was cleaned impeccably and the sheets were fresh. The breakfast was nice, the selection of pastries was good, albeit all were a bit too sweet.

Some maintenance issues were apparent in the room. The sink drips, the lightbulb in the desk lamp was burnt out, and a plug was not working. The tv is outdated and should not be included with the listed amenities.

When it came time to sleep, I wanted to pack my bags, demand a refund and leave. I was pretty jet lagged and really needed to sleep, but I could hear voices of people standing outside the door, footsteps on the stairs and voices of the upstairs neighbors. In addition to that, the sink dripped all night, and intensified my frustration. It was the worst night of sleep in a hotel that I have ever gotten.

I mentioned the dripping sink to the ladies at front desk and they seemed surprised, made a note about it and said someone would take a look at it that day. Apparently that never happened, because the drip was in full force the following night. Additionally, after talking to another hotel guest who had a dripping sink problem as well, I have the impression that the owners just don't care enough to fix it.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. The price is far too high for the tiny room and lack of sound proofing. At the very least, the hotel should have a stock of ear plugs to hand out to their guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I picked this hotel because it was: (A) on the main square, and (B) "historic." I also liked that it was next door to "The Girl and the Fig," an excellent Bistro-style restaurant. I was disappointed because the hotel didn't have an elevator. I booked a "Petite Suite" but the room was located on the third floor. We had to schlep our full suitcases one at a time all the way up and down. That by itself wasn't too bad (who couldn't use a little exercise?), but I was also disappointed that the hotel didn't have any designated parking. We did have a little bit of trouble finding parking close to the hotel during the day. I booked a "Petite Suite" because it was supposed to have two beds, but the room was TINY. The second bed was a pull-out couch, but when we pulled it out, the bed took up most of the space in the room. The other bed was VERY comfortable (with a beautiful bedspread). One more disappointing thing: the place smelled a little musty. The website described the hotel as "historic," and it was, but it just looked a little old and in need of repair in some places. The continental breakfast was nice (only pastries, coffee, and tea), and the staff were extremely friendly, but I will choose another hotel with more of the modern amenities next time I go to Sonoma. I didn't have a bad experience at the Sonoma Hotel, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

Room Tip: Be warned: most of the rooms are TINY
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We spent a lovely, relaxing weekend in Sonoma and would definitely stay at the Sonoma Hotel again.

Pluses:
+ charming decor
+ comfortable rooms and lobby
+ very reasonable prices
+ excellent location right on Sonoma Square
+ delicious, complimentary continental breakfast with assorted pastries, coffee and fresh juice
+ complimentary wine happy hour
+ the Girl & the Fig is located in the building. It has amazing food and a great bar.
+ friendly, accommodating staff and fellow patrons
+ lovely lobby excellent for rendezvous with our crew before dinner or after dinner to play cards or sip wine
+ our room had a small sofa and coffee table, which was really nice for getting together with friends to taste wine and play games.

Minuses:
- hot water on Saturday morning was hit-or-miss. My fellow travelers didn't experience it, but I took a less than perfect shower.
- lacks some modern amenities, like an ice machine (necessary for our white wine purchases)
- on the street parking, which was not a terrible problem for us, since we went out wine tasting during the day, but could be an issue if you want to stay in town and don't want to move your car every two hours.
- no elevator. Not an issue for us, but it was an issue for some older travelers who were staying there.

Like I said, it suited our needs very well and we'd definitely stay there again, but it may not be for everyone.

Room Tip: One of the rooms is on the ground floor. I would have thought it would be noisy, but our traveling...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We were glad to find a twin room at late notice in the local town square. The lady behind the desk was friendly and we were given wine on arrival! A quaint, slightly chintzy room, but we liked it. Street parking didn't bother us.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Downers Grove, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

After dinner at the restaurant (Girl and the Fig) we called a taxi. It was a bit chilly so we went inside to wait in the lobby. We were advised by the woman at the desk that we could not stand in the lobby but had to wait outside. I can't even imagine staying at a place with this attitude.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sonoma Hotel? Share your experiences!