“Romantic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hadsten House

You added Hadsten House to your Saves list
Hadsten House
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1450 Mission Drive, Solvang, CA 93436 (Formerly Vagabond Inn Solvang)   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
California
“Romantic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

We stayed at Hadsten for our first anniversary after we were unable to book the hotel where we spent our wedding night. When I found their special including dinner and a couples massage I was no longer disappointed about the other hotel. The wine, cheese and fruit were a nice greeting upon our arrival. We enjoyed an early dinner. The baked brie appetizer was huge delicious as was the salmon carpaccio. We enjoyed the outdoor jacuzzi with fireplaces and great chairs. The rooms were beautifully decorated- not a single detail neglected. The next morning's breakfast buffet was nice and the massages were wonderful. We hope to return again soon.

• Liked — great value with the dinner and spa package
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Surprise, Az.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

We had a great 7 night stay at the Hadsten House. The employees were so nice and cared about everyone. Margariet in the dining room for breakfast was very special. The breakfast was always fresh and good. The evening staff came every night to turn the bed down always happy and smiling. Solvang is a beautiful town to visit, we hope to return in the near future. Wesley and Ann Bord

Stayed July 2008
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

My husband and I stayed here on our wedding weekend and it was awesome! The rooms are beautifully decorated and the personal service from the front desk was outstanding. I even had a chance to meet the general manager who was very, very friendly. My only complaint about the rooms is that the air conditioning unit is oddly placed in the bathroom area, so it is difficult to get the rest of the room cooled off. And, that weekend, it was unseasonably WARM outside.

Because it was a special occasion, I treated myself to a massage at the lovely spa located on site. Despite the small entrance, the treatment rooms are spacious and the decor throughout is beautiful. Andrea, the director at the spa, gave me my massage which was one of the best I have ever had. She is so personable and sweet and really cares about the service she provides. I even had her do my makeup the day of my wedding -- which was beautifully done. By the time Sunday morning rolled around I felt like I had made a new friend!

We will definitely come back to this hotel next time we're in town. And I may have to pamper myself with another massage!

• Liked — upscale, comfortable, decor
  • Disliked — Placement of air conditioning unit
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

My husband and I stayed here during a trip we took to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday.

We loved this hotel so much. The staff were excellent and very friendly. The room was lovely and the breakfast was really delicious. The pool area is pristine and very modern. We loved the indoor pool and the comfy poolside furniture.

This location was a great central place to stay if you're into wine tasting and eating at the lovely Central coast restaurants nearby. It's also only a few blocks from the heart of Solvang.

The room we stayed in had a wonderful modern bathroom with a nice hardwood floor. The bed was comfy. The flat screen TV was fabulous when you were just checking out news or local TV at night. Everything was clean and pretty new.

We loved the entire stay!

• Liked — The pool and happy hour.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hadsten house for 1 night during the week. It exceeded our expectations. The dinner was delicious and was included in our mid-week room rate which was a great value. The best thing about the hotel is the indoor heated pool and outdoor jacuzzi equipped with fireplaces, music, and comfortable outdoor furniture. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay! Will definitely stay there again!

Cupertino, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

Over the years, we've stayed at many of the hotels and inns in and around Solvang, and our overnight stop July 2nd at the Hadsten House is the most outstanding experience of all our stays.

On the whole, the newly-renovated inn is clean, attractive, and well-maintained and the staff are as friendly and professional as you are likely to find at any fine inn anywhere.

The room we had was clean, quiet, nicely decorated, and well-appointed. Everything was perfect. We arrived a bit early, but our room was ready for us to check in. We booked a room-plus-dinner combination, which was--in retrospect--a great bargain because our dinner experience was marvelous (more on that below).

After settling in our room, we did a quick check of the dining room and the pool area. The dining room is spacious, well-laid out (for both privacy and noise control), and comfortable. Even though it was reasonably warm outside, it was shady and cool inside. (For Fall and Winter visits, I think the large fireplace surrounded by couches and chairs would draw a lot of attention from visitors.) The inn also serves its buffet breakfast here as well.

For us, the pool was a highlight. After walking around town for several hours in the warm sun, we returned, changed into swim suits, and took advantage of the indoor pool's cool water and shade. There are also spas in an adjacent outdoor court. The pool was clearly a big hit with other visiting families with kids.

From 3 to 5 PM, the inn hosts a wine and snack period in the dining room. We were offered a choice of different local wines and both chose a cool, crisp pinot grigio that tasted great and complemented the selection of cheeses, fruits, and crackers they served.

Dinner was no let down either. The menu provides a wide-enough variety to satisfy most tastes, including children. They offer an ambitious selection of appetizers, salads, and entrees, all of which look great and taste better. This is first rate cuisine from a chef and kitchen staff who clearly know their stuff. One could easily make a dinner by ordering and sharing a selection of the appetizers. If we had planned a second night there, we would have returned to order four or five appetizers and a bottle of wine.

Also, good desserts, good coffee, and personable dining room staff.

The Hadsten House is hard to beat.

• Liked — clean, quiet indoor pool; professional and friendly staff
Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a stay at this little gem of a hotel. We booked the hotel soley based on the Tripadvisor ratings and are not sorry we did.

We decided to book the dinner package and upgraded to a king spa suite at check in. My only complaint about the room would be that the spa tub was not convenient for someone of a shorter stature to access. My husband who is 6'3 had no trouble but I am 5'4 and found it a little tricky to get in and out in a graceful manner. Still it was not enough of a problem to keep me from using it.

The entire hotel was beautifully decorated and the service exceptional. We were very impressed by the restaurant waiter whose name I am sorry to say I don't remember but he also served as the bartender during the complimentary wine and cheese reception. All I can say is that no matter how busy things were he managed to make his job look effortless which I am certain is no small feat.

Some have commented on the fact that they did not like the fact that the doors opened to the outside rather than an inner hallway but to be honest after exploring Solvang I did not see a hotel/motel that did appear to have an inner hallway.

All in all we had a wonderful stay and would definately recommend the Hadsten House.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hadsten House? Share your experiences!