“Modern Danish Charm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hadsten House

Save Saved
You added Hadsten House to your Saves list
Hadsten House
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1450 Mission Drive, Solvang, CA 93436 (Formerly Vagabond Inn Solvang)   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Modern Danish Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I decided, on the recommendation of friends, to spend a night in Solvang on our way up the Pacific Coast Highway. We booked a reasonably priced room at the last-minute, and our expectations were muted.

Hadsten House impressed us with its modern Danish charm. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and made recommendations (we ended up having a fantastic wine tasting experience at Sevtap, dinner at Solvang Brewery, and pastries to-go the next morning from Mortensen's). We were incredibly close to everything in town, which was great for such a short trip.

The second floor room we stayed in was charming - we really loved the "fireplace" (it was faux but looked real at first, and gave the room a cozy touch - surprising, since I would never have thought a faux fireplace would be something I would want to have in my room). The bathroom set-up was nice, the bed comfortable, and the breakfast better than I've had included in my stay, with great bacon and eggs.

To any friends driving up the PCH, I would say: definitely stop in Solvang, and definitely stay at the Hadsten House!

Room Tip: If you ask for an ethernet cord, you may get faster Internet service. Also, definitely turn on the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Our first visit to Solvang. The location of the hotel was very convenient to all the city attractions, within walking distance. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. The rooms were, in my opinion, poorly lit, and dark painted walls. The room was clean and comfortable.
The morning breakfast was excellent with many choices.
The cost for the room, in my opinion, was too high for the value. I believe there may be other better valued choices in the area. Hadsten should reconsider/reevaluate the room charge and certainly provide better room lighting.
Mr. & Mrs. R. T. Milwaukee, WI

Room Tip: Just an OK place. (Sorry Hadsten House) I have traveled a great deal and stayed at many hotels aroun...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Livermore, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband i stayed here in July of 2012. The room was vary nice and clean the bed super comfy but the pillows were to flat and the shams too big. the bathroom was really nice loved the sliding door with full mirror. The bathroom counter had enough space for me to lay out all my makeup. the armoire was an ok size, they have a mini fridge in the armoire. small size flat screen tv. with an electrical fireplace. the hotel itself was really nice made you feel like if you where back in time. the jacuzzi was awesome with the fireplaces take your wine. indoor pool was ok. breakfast was good. overall we enjoyed our stay as well as the hotel itself.

Room Tip: If you get a room upstairs facing the office you ca get a view if the main street and of other hotel...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Great renovation! Most of the hotels in the Solvang area are like sleeping in a giant doll house...not really my idea of romance. The Hadsten has had a classy renovation without completely losing it's Solvang roots. The staff is great. Indoor pool was nice escape from the sun. The bed was super comfy with nice linens. My only question is...what's up with the towels?!?! The towels in our room and the ones at the pool were all this cheap-Motel-6-sandpaper-quality that had holes and/or tears in them. No joking, we had to search through at least a dozen towels to find one that were still intact. Not something I would expect from a $200 plus a night hotel room. I can't figure out why one would go to the lengths of updating a hotel without throwing in a bit of $$ for some decent towels..?!?!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Tried this place for the first time and I'm definitely a fan. Room was lovely with updated furnishings and flat screen tv-- looks just like the pictures online. Had a fridge in the room and coffee maker which is so handy for traveling. Gorgeous wood floors in the bathroom, comfy bed, and delicious breakfast. We had eggs, bacon and the best granola ever! Yum!! Location is perfect to walk to the shops in Solvang and although it was close to the road, I didn't hear any noise. We stayed on a downstairs floor and I didn't hear anything from upstairs either. Nice, quiet night's sleep. Will definitely be going back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kahala, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was there for a business trip casino tourney at Chumash... Chumash was full & I am glad they were but it was them who recommended The Hadsten house... Arrived mid afternoon, parked right in front of my room...My room looked as if all furnishings & flat screen & all bathroom fixtures were brand new!!! If wasn't room was spotless! Surprised at indoor heated pool & jacuzzi, went out to casino... I did notice the Chumash van in the parking lot but opted to drive myself as I did not believe they ran after midnight.. I then came back for a quiet sleep, I awoke walked about 50' to restaurant on the property which had your typical cold cereal & fruits section & then you hat the hot french toast, pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, breads, desserts all for FREE!!! This alone was worth it & warranted a repeat customer & have already told friends about this place & it was exactly like I said... they too loved that awesome breakfast!!! *** I am a frequent traveler & have a portable little black light which I use to check the bed for cleanliness & they passed with flying colors, actually was told to run finger behind mirror or tops of lamps - ya know the white glove test & he lost the bet as there was no dust!! Hats off to the cleaning crew at the Hadsten House!!! ****

Room Tip: I was on upper level floor so wasn't able to hear any foot traffic from upstairs guest..all room...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This looks like your average motel with outside parking by the room but the inside is VERY nice and quite comfortable. The breakfast was quite good, a hot breakfast with eggs, bacon, etc. Very good location as you can walk to the shops and restaurants.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hadsten House? Share your experiences!