First of all, we didn't do our homework. This IS a family place-period. We are a couple. Secondly, we went over Easter/spring break (also my birthday). The grounds are lovely and the staff very nice. Our room was ok, but dated and dark. We liked the idea of no TV, phones or Internet access. We wanted peace and solitude. Also looking for some fun by the lake, archery and air rifle classes along with some spa time. The spa/fitness center is stark, nothing fancy. Around 7pm as we were getting ready for dinner, the rooms and family in our quadrant (4 rooms in one building) had a complete meltdown. The parents had NO control over the kids. Screaming, door slamming and harsh words ensued. We were amazed and powerless. Off to dinner we went and it was ok. Pretty heavy food and not particularly healthy.
The resort was swarming with kids and not very well behaved for the most part. More a reflection of our society I'm afraid and not the ranches fault. It was evident to us that this was not the place for us especially at the high price ($625 per night) we were paying. Gratefully, the management released us from our 3 night commitment. We came home. Disappointing to say the least. Great place for families with less than well behaved children. Not great for couples who want some peace and relaxation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Alisal Guest Ranch & Resort is located in the beautiful Santa Ynez Valley and renowned Santa Barbara County wine country. Privately owned and operated since 1946, the Alisal is a working cattle ranch and full-service resort. This historic ranch is one of four original Spanish land grants on the west coast given to conquistador Raimundo Carrillo in the late 1700’s. Today, the romance and majesty of the old west remain in the wide-open spaces and unspoiled natural beauty of the Alisal. They serve as a reminder of simpler times and as an invitation to those with a taste for adventure. As California's premier guest ranch, the Alisal transports guests back to a bygone era. Set on a 10,000-acre working cattle ranch, this one-of-a-kind resort blends the best of nature with exceptional golf, horseback riding, tennis, fishing on a 100-acre private lake, fitness center and spa, children's activities, barnyard activities and fine dining. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia so you can book your Alisal Guest Ranch & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alisal Guest Ranch And Resort
- Alisal Guest Ranch Hotel Solvang
- Alisal Hotel Solvang
- Alisal Resort Solvang
- Alisal Ranch Solvang
- The Alisal Guest Ranch