“In the center of everything” 5 of 5 stars

King Frederik Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1617 Copenhagen Drive, Solvang, CA 93463   |
Ranked #6 of 10 hotels in Solvang
Castro Valley, California
“In the center of everything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

It seemed like every time I turned around there was my hotel. It was great. My wife and I made many purchases while in Solvang for five days, and it was so easy to drop off our stuff in room before going out again for more. All our restaurants were within easy walking distance except for the two in Santa Maria, Shaw's Steakhouse and Sizzlingogi.
Our second trip to Solvang was during the off season. It was marvelous to have no crowds, and we were lucky with good weather. The pool at the hotel was great. Few people around. The hotel was close to empty I think.
The hotel was neat and clean for the most part. I was disappointed that the carpeted stairway in the common area between floors one and two were filthy during 5 days we were there. Never vacuumed! But the room was cleaned nicely every day thanks to "Juana". The room was very quiet, Rm. 206 overlooking the pool. I enjoyed sitting out on the balcony. The bed was very comfortable. We took an upstairs room based on the many reviewers commenting about the King Frederik Inn before us. Though we were traveling during the off season we do appreciate their advice about picking out a quiet room.
I can not comment on the continental breakfast offered by the hotel. We never made it. The previous reviewers made Paula's and the Belgian Cafe sound so good we couldn't wait to get there. And they were so right!
I hate to end on a negative comment about the King Frederik Inn, but I do think noteworthy and good for a chuckle. You know, I read through so many reviews about this hotel I thought it strange that no one mentioned this. Maybe guests thought this would be off color to talk about, or perhaps no guest encountered this to be a problem. But I sure did! Well, this is it.
On my first encounter with the bathroom I looked down and thought to myself, "what a small toilet seat". Anyway, I sat down. Gosh, I was right. It was sure difficult trying maneuver around doing what you needed to get done on such a small seat. I am not known for having a big butt, but I am sure sorry for those who do.
Strange, but my wife complained too, but for a different reason. She said the toilet was too low to the floor?
Well, that's it. I think price wise the King Frederik Inn is a very nice hotel centrally located in the town of Solvang.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Hesperia, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are newly redone. Street noise is pretty loud. Hubby says the toilets are way too small for a man, I didn't have a problem. The free breakfast consisted of bread, pastries, coffee and juice. Hubby needed more so we had to buy breakfast out.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Henderson, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I booked a room at this hotel for my birthday. This is a great little hotel in the heart of Solvang. Décor is very basic but you can't beat the location. The room was very clean and the bed was very nice. The room was large and came with its own balcony with a view of the pool. The best part was the breakfast. They served the best danish pastry that I have had in a long time and the coffee was very good as well. I am from Denmark and I can tell you the pastries were awesome! We are getting ready to go back to Solvang tomorrow and guess where we are staying? You guessed it! The King Fredrik Inn!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Coatesville, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The title of this review sums it up ... not much lighting at all in the room for 2. They also did not use eco-friendly light bulbs. Sleeping was good and room and bath were clean. The front desk ladies were extremely friendly and competent. The hotel is in a very good place, walking distance to everything in town. Breakfast was "continental" ... not much at all. Pastries, bread for toasting and some muffins. Eating area was very cramped ,, if you could get a place to sit or stand. The price was good ... about $90 plus tax. Would probably stay again .. but in a room with adequate space.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rishon Le Zion, HaMerkaz, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The hotel have a great location within walking distance to all attractions in solvang.

The room was very clean and spacious, wi-fi had a good reception.

The breakfast was nice, it included delicious danish croissants and cupcakes.

Lovely staff, helped us with every things we needed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We flew to Los Angeles for the start of our American holiday with no plans in place other than to travel along the Califorian coast to Santa Barbara to stay one night, the hotel prices were very expensive for 3 star accommodation, we decided to travel Inland and were lucky enough to get a cancelation in Solvang at The Frederick Arms, we stayed two nights, it was clean, the welcome was great breakfast lovely , town was just beautiful and to make my husbands weekend, it was car meet! If you get the chance, visit Solvang, you won't regret it!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is an affordable hotel in a great location in downtown Solvang. It is right off the main tourist streets in Solvang, providing for easy walking. It also serves as a great hub for exploring Santa Barbara wine country. It is clean and fairly bare bones, but very affordable for the location. The pool is heated allowing early morning and evening swims, even in cool weather.

Room Tip: Higher floor may be better as the rooms are right along the sidewalk/street.