“Quaint hotel located in Solvang” 4 of 5 stars

Kronborg Inn
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   1440 Mission Drive, Solvang, CA 93463   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Las Vegas
“Quaint hotel located in Solvang”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Upon arrival we were checked in right away. The lobby is small but functional and the staff was friendly. We were given our room keys with instructions to our room. There's no elevator so getting up the stairs with our luggage was a bit of a challenge. I was traveling with my Mom and 2 sisters so the room was a bit small for 4 people. There's a nice little balcony off the room that overlooks the courtyard/pool. Our front door faced the street and we were worried about traffic noise but it ended up not being a problem at all. The beds are very comfortable, there's a little table with chairs, a refrigerator and the full length mirror was a plus. The hotel is located at the far end of the main road but it's only a short stroll to the shops and restaurants. If you're going to Solvang for the shops I would suggest arriving early as they all close around 4 or 5pm.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Highland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I must say that I give the new owner a kudos for trying to get this place updated. They did a great job improving the bathrooms, but it seems a bit over improved in contrast to the rest of the place. The spa was filthy! Rust marks, debris in the pool. Wasn't clean at all. The staff at the hotel needs a regimented daily routine to keep this place appealing. Keep them busy all day!

Positives -

- Quick check in/check out - Less than 2 minutes to get my keys and to get in my room.
- Clean breakfast area. Good balance of eating at breakfast area or an option to eat in your room (paper plates, disposable cups)
- Bathroom is updated and clean
- Ok channel selection
- Quick access to pool area
- Easy parking, complex not crowded
- Beds were comfortable and clean
- loved touch only keys, was able to keep keys in my wallet and just touch door and it unlocked.

Negatives -

- Hostess wasn't very professional, was arguing with a guest on the phone. I would have been upset the way she was talking to the person on the phone if I was that guest. She was more of a kid lacking sympathy and respect.
- A/C struggled to keep room cool, coils were full of dirt and dust, fan did not work at all.
- Poor lighting in room, very dark lighting
- Very unpleasant smell in lobby area, very strong perfume smell. Couldn't wait to get out of there.

If you plan on staying here don't expect a luxury stay, I would limit your stay to 1 or 2 nights max, there are just better hotels out there for the $$.

Room Tip: try and get a room away from main road
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Victor A, Owner at Kronborg Inn, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Estimated Guest
I am the very new owner of the Kronborg Inn.
Thank you very much for complimenting our efforts to upgrade and improve the hotel, and especially the bathrooms.
The spa at that particular time, had a problem with filters, as well as the pool. We hired a reputable company, who replaced two pumps and the filters, and it is now clean and clear.
I am sorry about the hostess. I am investigating the matter as she particularly has a reputation of being very hospitable and polite.
I do appreciate your detailed comments and I am taking them very seriously, as I am making the hotel a luxury boutique hotel.
I look forward for your next visit, as I and my staff will take particular care of your pleasant stay and comfort.
Best Regards,
Management
Venice, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Kronberg has an old world charm, quiet, clean, private. The prices are steep though because the town does not have any chain motels/hotels intown which keeps its rural, small town ambiance alive. It's the last hotel in a cluster from the nearest downtown street attractions. The staff was very helpful, especially when I had to call for a battery jump for my rental car. The free breakfast was so-so. Wi-fi was non-existent even though the desk said it was there. Tried several times to access it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We were attending a wedding at a winery and stayed here in Solvang for a weekend. I expected a motel like experience, since that's what it basically looked like from the exterior, and I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into the second floor room. The room was fairly large with a vaulted ceiling, making it appear even bigger. There were sliding doors to a balcony facing the courtyard pool, and a large bathroom with stone countertops, nice toileteries and a jetted tub! There was plenty of closet space, fast WiFi which was free and the room looked newly renovated. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean and quiet. We did not spend that much time in Solvang, but did walk from one end to the other, which only took about 20 minutes. Overall, it was a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Comfortable beds, quiet rooms. The pool is in a cute little courtyard. The tub was narrow but had jets. Overall, very satisfied with our stay. I thought the price was a little steep, but that's just Solvang I think.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Simi Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Everything was very nice, we were pleasantly surprised! The staff was great, friendly, and helpful. The pool and jacuzzi were just right. It was quiet where we stayed in the back. The price was good. The hotel was great. For breakfast however, I suggest walking over to Paula's Restaurant with homemade orange juice, huge pancakes, and turkey sausage. The breakfast at Kronborg's is the standard continental, not bad. I would definitely go there again.

Room Tip: The hotel rooms in the back were pretty quiet, a little further away from the pool. Nice balcony...
Skara, Västra Götaland, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The hotel looks really inviting and cosy. I asked for a room not facing the heavily trafficked road. Even though the hotel was more than half empty, we still got a room with the door facing the road, and the only room in the hotel with only half a balcony - the other half being part of the staircase. This meant that we were disturbed by people climbing the stairs late at night, as well as by the noise from the road - it was horrid! We could just as well have camped on the freeway.
So basically, we got no sleep at all. I found this especially annoying since I had asked for a quiet room. Maybe the receptionist wanted to punish us for that request?
The bed was extremely comfortable, so at least we could lie in bed reading since it was impossible to sleep.
The breakfast is for people who enjoy dry pastries in the morning.
The pool was very nice, but the spa was so dirty there was no way you would want to use it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a door towards the parking lot and a balcony facing the pool if you want to have...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Kronborg Inn? Share your experiences!