“Cute Boutique Hotel walking distance to town” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Alisal Road, Santa Ynez Valley, Solvang, CA 93464   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Certificate of Excellence 2014
St Paul, Minnesota
“Cute Boutique Hotel walking distance to town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Booked this small little boutique hotel for a weekend in October for a wedding in Solvang, and it was recommended by the bride.

Pros:
-We were a little early to check-in, but they were able to give us our room immediately. The room was on the 2nd floor facing the front of the hotel.
-The room was clean and nicely decorated (I posted some photos).
-The hotel is in walking distance to the cute town of Solvang, shopping, spas, wine tasting, restaurants, and sites. Nice view of the mountains.
-Access to the elevators require guest keys, so that seemed like a nice security feature.
-Beds are comfortable, however I had a little bit of trouble sleeping with the fluff of the pillows.
-When we called the housekeeper for toothpaste, they came within 2-3 minutes with one.
-had internet access
-Check out was quick and efficient

Cons:
-There is no fitness center or spa in the hotel, but the hotel attempts to make up for it by having a shuttle bus that transports guests every half hour to the fitness center and spa at a nearby casino. I opted to jog outside and go to a nearby spa down the street to get my nails done for the wedding.
-You can hear through the walls, but it was more of people walking around than loud noises or conversations.
-Numerous ads about the nearby casino seemed like too much for me
-Pricey, but nice for special occasions

Overall: Had a great experience here. Nice hotel for special occasions.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Hubby and I booked 2 nights- our saturday rate was very expensive(like most hotels)- Sunday was more within reason. We stayed in the wine country suite- we actually stayed in 2 different suites as the first night we were next to a large group of women in the room next door. We could hear every word they were saying. The first room was one large open suite with the sitting area in the bedroom, a large bathroom with a jetted tub and separate shower and toilet area. Our second suite was their 2nd type of suite which has 2 rooms- a separate living area and a separate bedroom plus 2 full bathrooms with showers but no tub. Although we liked our first room, the 2nd room did not disappoint. Their suites are spacious and the bed was comfortable. We usually stay at the Santa Ynez Inn which is similiarly priced, but it was booked. I prefer Santa Ynez Inn for even money as their rooms are gorgeous and the bathrooms are the best I have seen in my travels. Corque is contemporary- Santa Ynez is victorian so they are two completely different styles. If Santa Ynez Inn did not exist, I would stay at Corque again- the restaurant Root 246 next door is one of the biggest pluses about Corque. Overall a good experience, and I would recommend.

Westlake Village, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

My husband and I visit Solvang at least once a year to go to the different wineries and tasting rooms around the area. We've stayed at Hadsten House in the past, as well as a few other motels in Solvang. From reading other reviews it seems like many times it comes down to Corque v. Hadsten House on who is the reigning accommodation. So here is my personal opinion after just coming back from Hotel Corque and previous stays at HH......

Corque

When pulling up to hotel corque, I like that it aesthetically looks like a boutique hotel. Conversely, when pulling up to HH, it appears like a motel on the outside because frankly it is (or was...depending on who you ask).

Customer service at Corque was great with one glitch. Although they were able to check us in 1 hr before regular check in time, they did not tell us ahead of time that they were giving us a handicapped room. When the woman told us a room was ready, I would've appreciated the preference of taking the handicapped room or waiting for a non-handicapped room to be ready. Since we were only staying one night, I decided to just deal with it. However, besides that, the lady was very nice and even called Tastes of the Valley for us to find out what time they closed on a Tuesday night. Costumer service at Hadsten House was also great. They had a cheese and fruit plate and wine upon our arrival.

Corque's lobby is beautiful and modern and I love the huge lighting fixture over the large chairs and fireplace. HH's "lobby" is more of a quaint little room, but still adorable. Corque's rooms are simplistic and modern and the bathrooms are updated. I know reviewers talk about the bathrooms having double sinks, but ours did not, which I was really looking forward to and was disappointed to see we only had one. I don't know if it was because we had a basic room or because it was handicapped. Either way, the sink was minuscule and there was a tiny table literally 2ft x 2ft to put all my makeup, toiletries etc on. Not practical for today's woman (handicapped or not). HH's rooms are also nice as well and have a more personal, romantic feel inside. The king size bed was absolutely heavenly to sleep in. And the fake fireplace they have is kitchy, a bit corny, but if youre able to not take yourself too seriously and just go with the flow, it'll grow on you. The walls, however, at HH are VERY thin. So keep this in mind if you are there celebrating an anniversary or something with the loved one ::wink wink::

We wanted to try Root 246 for lunch and when I went on their website, they had a fabulous signature Reuben sandwich that I knew my husband would kill for. However, when we got there, the menu had changed and no Reuben was to be found. Since the lunch options were sooo limited, we just went elsewhere to satisfy my husband's Reuben craving. I have heard fabulous reviews of Root 246 and will definitely try it next time we go. The restaurant attached to HH is pleasantly surprising. It feels very intimate, modern and dark and the menu rivals great american steakhouses in LA or SF. Definitely a must.

Regarding complimentary breakfast at Corque, I didn't see any and the concierge lady did not mention one, so I assume they have discontinued it. The complimentary breakfast at HH was also great, considering most free breakfasts consist up cereal boxes, aired out pastries and apples and oranges. HH's complimentary breakfast had eggs, bacon, biscuits, oatmeal etc. Taste wise it wasn't the best breakfast of my life, but definitely satisfying and very fulfilling. However, when staying in Solvang, you MUST go to Paula's Pancake House at least one of those mornings. Danish pancakes are oh so satisfying!

So overall, which would I choose? It's a toss up. I love the location of Corque better, but I love the feel of the rooms at HH better and the free breakfast and cheese/fruit plate sealed the deal. Yet, right now Travelzoo has Corque at only $89/night whereas HH is about $50 more a night during non-crushing season.

We plan on going back up in March and will probably stay at Corque because of price and location. But when I think back to the times I stayed at both places, HH stands out more in my mind, despite the motel appearance on the outside and thin walls.

Hope this review helped!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor so that you don't hear people above and below you.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

My husband and I were wine tasting in Northern Santa Barbara county with some friends this past weekend and spent 1 night at Hotel Corque in Solvang. What a gem of a hotel! The lobby is large and open with a beautiful fireplace as the focal point. Oversized chairs are placed in front of the fireplace for guest's comfort. Check in was speedy and the staff was very nice. Our room was on the first floor with a view of the swimming pool. The room was huge and decorated beautifully. There is a sitting area with a couch and chair, and a desk. The bed was so comfy and the linens were luxurious. I'm really finicky about hotel beds and this one ranks very high in my book! The bathroom was extremely spacious with 2 sinks, a separate toilet area, huge bathtub and separate shower. What I loved about the shower was the rain shower head and the flooring, which was a smooth stone surface. The towels were huge and soft. Very lovely! There is a coffee maker in the room for those who need their coffee immediately upon waking. When we got back to our room after dinner, our bed had been turned down and bottles of water were left on the side tables-a very nice touch!
There is not an in house restaurant at Hotel Corque, but conveniently located next door is a restaurant called Root 246 that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and has a bar. Room service is available and our friends ordered room service and said it was delicious. We opted to go out for breakfast. Solvang isn't that big, but the hotel is located in an area close to shopping and restaurants and bakeries. We walked to breakfast and window shopped around town. All in all, we had a great visit and will definitely stay at Hotel Corque again. I wish we had spent 1 more night!

Room Tip: our room was on the first floor off the lobby, but we weren't bothered at all with noise.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

This hotel is very well done. Nicely decorated, comfortable beds, clean and new! The location is conveniently located and walking distance to all the main shops and restaurants. Although we did not use it, there is a free shuttle to the Chumash Casino. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you go to the Chumash Casino, you can get a players card and get a free upgrade on your room. Un...
Salinas, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Had a wonderful 3 day stay at the hotel. The location couldn't be better. The service was excellent and staff extremely helpful and friendly. Very quiet with super comfortable accommodations. Congratulations on a job well done!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Saugus, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Stayed one night in December for a holiday party in Solvang. The room was nice, and the bathroom had two sinks. Loved the shower, but I like rain shower heads. Very comfortable bed, as well as bedding. I like reading at night, and it was nice to have a nightlight above the bed. Perfect location to walk around Solvang.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Corque? Share your experiences!