“Great Stay in Solvang” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Great Stay in Solvang”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a night to break up our drive up the Central Coast. We couldn't be happier that we chose to stay a couple miles off the freeway in Solvang instead of staying in Buellton. The location of Hotel Corque is perfect. It's on the edge of town, about 1 block off the main road. It feels private and intimate, but everything in town is within walking distance. It's also adjacent to Bradley Ogden's restaurant, Root 246.

The hotel was recently renovated and they did an amazing job. Everything feels brand new and updated, but with the character of a classic lodge. The rooms were spacious and the beds, with headboards that looked like something from the Mad Hatter, were extremely comfortable. Nice bathrooms too. Everything was well appointed and every staff member that we met was friendly and outgoing. We stayed on the first floor, close to the lobby, and did not have any noise issues.

We stayed on a Thursday and got a great rate. As we were checking out, I overheard that their rates for Friday were more than twice what we paid. Ouch! I would definitely stay here again and I think it's a good hotel for less than $200/nt, great value if you can get it for less than $150/nt.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

Beautiful hotel. Owned by casino but not in casino. Middle of Solvang. Bargain!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed here as part of a wedding and got a discount ($199 per night). We arrived slightly early at about 12:00 pm and were told that they might have a room ready for us in the next 30 minutes as long as we didn't mind staying on the first floor. I asked them if all the rooms were the same and they said yes. Since I needed to change and a place for my wife and baby to stay before going to some of the wedding events, I just elected to go ahead and get the room.

I thought the room was nice but nothing extra special. It wasn't until I went to a few of the other rooms in our wedding party that I realized the rooms were most definitely NOT the same. Pretty much everyone else had a room with a balcony or patio and a view of the mission or the pool. I had a view of the parking lot and no balcony or patio. I went to the front desk and asked why I had been told the rooms were the same, since they clearly weren't, and I was told that even though we were paying the same price, people were placed into different styles of rooms based on what the hotel coordinator felt like doing and we still had to pay the same amount since it was at the discounted rate. Additionally, he told me that we were basically lucky because that room usually goes for $350 per night. For a view of the parking lot, really?

The hotel was exceptionally clean, there was no cost for parking, and it was located in the heart of downtown Solvang. The staff at the tables in the lobby (concierge, I guess) always looked tired and had no problem slouching in their chairs with the look of "I don't care" on their faces. Plus, the maids spoke MINIMAL English which made it extremely difficult to simply get someone to clean my room. The front desk staff was somewhat helpful but not what I expected at that price.

Overall, my wife and I enjoyed our time in such a beautiful town but would not stay at this hotel again. Save your money and stay at the Holiday Inn Express or something equivalent then spend your money having fun. This hotel is nice but the price and staff need some serious work.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We had such a pleasant stay for 2 nights in October. Where do I start with all the positives.
Decor- Spectacular from the moment you arrive. The lobby is beautiful and comfortable with a comfy fireplace. The rooms are well done, too. Comforting and a great attention to details.
Bathroom- 2 great sinks, a comfortable shower with a super shower head, nice soaps, shower gel, etc., many puffy towels, unique lighting reflect nicely on this great bathroom.
Other ammenities- Super large screen HD TV with an adequate # of channels. Bed and bedding were as good as it gets. Refrigerator (no microwave). room was very clean
Pewrsonnel- Lobby personnel were extremely helpfulwith information about the town and surrounding area. Even had a few coupons.
They are connected with a casino (buses leave about every 30 minutes) for about a less than 10 minute trip. High class casino with some good entertainment and an inexpesive fabulous buffet.
One small negative would be hearing footsteps from thje room above, but nothing from either side. Also, they do not have an exercise facility on the premises. Casino hotel exercise facility is available as is an in-town facility, but the latter costs 12 bucks.

Room Tip: I'd go top level and ask for a patio during good weather
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

It was just a one night stay on a Sunday night with my wife. After doing some wine tasting in the area, it was a very nice end to a great day. The room was immaculate. Huge room with a beautiful bathroom. 2 sinks, imagine that. If only the chains would realize how much that means to the average couple traveling for leisure, instead of layouts that make sense only to a lonely business traveler. Hot tub and pool area was open until 11 PM. That was a nice surprise. Very nice lobby and the clerks were friendly.
Highly recommended.

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

What an amazing hotel! My husband and I extended our stay 2 extra days we loved it so much. Service was top notch from check in to check out. Housekeeping was impeccable! Special thanks to Jim the manager and Lopita at the check in desk for the superior customer service. The room was spectacular! I highly recommend this very affordable first class hotel!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 144 which was ground floor level with view of the pool. It had a small refrigerat...
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We LOVE Hotel Corque. The staff is super friendly. The first time we stayed here we got in way before check-in time. They couldn't let us check in early because they didn't have a room ready, but the gal at the check-in desk set us up with a ton of tasting coupons so that we could go check out the town while we waited for our room to be ready. When we finally got back to check in, we fell in love with the room right away. The bed is super comfy, the bathroom is awesome (especially the shower), and it's beautifully decorated. We had an amazing view of the Santa Ynez mountains from the balcony - great spot to sit with a glass of wine and we took full advantage. The continental breakfast was nothing extraordinary but there are a lot of little eateries in Solvang that we wanted to take advantage of so that wasn't a concern for us. I can't comment on the pool because we haven't used it. The location is fantastic - within walking distance of everything in Solvang and a quick 5-7 minute drive to Los Olivos which is where all our favorite wineries and tasting rooms are. They also have a free shuttle to Chumash Casino that runs 24 hours. I will say we haven't paid full price any of the times we've visited here, and I'm not sure I would. We booked through Travelzoo the first time we went and paid $75/ night on a weekend which is far less than their typical rate. I've looked into going other times and found their non-discounted rates to be pretty extreme. The budget traveler in me would look elsewhere during peak rates, but anytime I see a good rate I will be booking us a trip to Hotel Corque.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Corque? Share your experiences!