“Very simple rooms, but it does the trick” 3 of 5 stars

Hamlet Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1532 Mission Drive, Solvang, CA 93463   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Very simple rooms, but it does the trick”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2014

Maybe I didn't have too much luck.... I've read some reviews of the rooms in this hotel and everyone liked it.... But mine had only one bed, one small fridge, a table, a TV and an Ipod base. And that was it. Literally! The room 16 is the most simple room I've ever stayed in my tourist life, I have to say. The lady in the reception desk was adorable to us at all times, which was a bonus to me. She even gave us some wine passes! :)

From the outside, the hotel looked very charming to me, but the room got me really disappointed, I must say.... If you can get a good rate, go for it. Otherwise, it might not be a very good deal (I ended up going there in the middle of the Solvang Parade and paid USD 169 per night! Very pricey!)

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

The pillows were stained. The room was sparse and there was trash in the refrigerator from the last tenant. I tried to get ice at 8:30 pm but the office was locked and the only excuse the next day was "Oh, we had someplace to go." On the last day, we returned to our room from breakfast (well before checkout time) to find our room already turned over by the maid.

The price was reasonable (for Solvang) and it is the best location in town. Free bicycles were available for those over 18, but since we were there for wine-tasting, pedaling 50 or 60 miles a day with lots of drunks on the road did not seem advisable. The motel DID give us a card allowing 2 for 1 tastings at a variety of wineries. Two were on our destination list, so we did save about $25.
I would probably stay there again, but I really can't wholeheartedly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Really enjoyed our relatively inexpensive and quirky stay here. Rooms clean and cool with the Denmark theme! Showers were fab and the drinks passport was a real bonus! Great that they had free bikes too - only wish we had longer than a night to enjoy them!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We recently stayed for one night as a couple during a weekend of wine tasting.

Pros: great location, walkable to everything. The rooms had obviously been refurbished recently, with new paint and fixtures. Everything was clean except for the couch upholstery, which was stained. It was surprisingly quiet considering how near the main road it is. Bed and linen quality was fine. The best part was the bikes that are available, free, for guest use. These were particularly awesome for in-town exploring, especially since weekend car traffic would have made this a chore.

Cons: Our room had a strong chemical odor (maybe Pine-Sol?) which didn't dissipate even with open windows. In terms of decor, I got the impression they're catering to a younger crowd -- i.e. there is no phone or clock radio (because you can use your cell phone for that), but there is an iPod speaker dock. The ice machine was broken, so they had set up one of those large counter-top ice makers. There was no scoop, which made me feel a little bad as I was scooping ice into the bucket with my hands. Sheers at the window would have been nice, as the only options were the blackout curtains or fully open.

Overall, it seems like they have made a real effort to make this no-frills motel as nice as possible, and I liked that it had a distinct personality. But if you're attached to the chain hotel aesthetic, this is probably not the place for you.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I booked this motel the same day (midweek) to break up the drive from San Francisco to L.A. Normally I read reviews and look at pics on Tripadvisor and have had very good fortune with my stays, but this time I regret not having done my research. I booked it on the fly based on the price and the rating without looking at all of my options. Bad move on my part. I couldn't remember the name of the motel, only that it started with an "H" and was on Mission near 4th or 5th. So when I pulled into Solvang, I accidentally stopped at the Hadsten House nearby. I was impressed with the lobby, the size of the place and the attention of the clerk at the front desk. I asked the clerk what the rate was for the night (there was a vacancy), she quoted $99.00, which is what I paid for the Hamlet Inn. I looked at my phone and discovered the number I called was different from the Hadsten's. I called it and was reminded I had booked a night at the Hamlet Inn just next door. When I pulled in I was shocked. It was certainly a "motel" alright. The few reviews I read were misguided. "Simple" and "no frills" is an understatement. Not having been to Denmark, maybe the Danish motels/hotels are like this. For better or worse, I am accustomed to the American style of hotels/motels. The Holiday Inn Express in Solvang is much better. The room at the Hamlet did smell. I felt like I was sleeping in the IKEA showroom. (And some of my furniture is from IKEA, but when I travel, I expect more for the price). No phone, no dresser, no free breakfast, no pool or jacuzzi, for the same price I could have paid to stay at the Hadsten House?? Really?? Not a good deal at all. I don't know how they get away with this. I read some people like the fact that the Hamlet has air conditioning. So what? So does the Hadsten! It was good that I was only there for one night. I was surprised that on Tripadvisor this place made it all the way to # 4 out of 10. I won't trust the ratings anymore. Next time I travel to Solvang, I will definitely try the Hadsten House and never recommend the Hamlet Inn. It is not a value for the $99.00 plus tax I paid. I regret they require a 48 hour cancellation notice. If they did not, I would have cancelled my reservation at the Hamlet and stayed at the Hadsten. Lesson learned. When booking, make sure to thoroughly review as many hotels/motels as you can, look at all the pictures and then book the one that is suited to your taste and style. This may be "cute, simple and ideal" for some travelers, but for the price, it was certainly not up to my standard. By the way, all the hotels/motels in Solvang are ideally located because all the shops and restaurants are within walking distance from any hotel/motel. Solvang is not that large of a town! You don't need to use your car to get anywhere unless you want to visit the Chumash casino or some other place outside Solvang. When you are in Solvang, you are there to walk around town, not drive around town. That's part of the fun!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, not for the price. It should have been half price, as far as I'm concer...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Los Alamitos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We don't normally stay at a Motel but we had no choice because of our last minute planning. The place is clean, easy to access, has a small refrigerator, and most importantly air condition. This motel is directly across from Paul's Pancake house.

If you're here for the 4th of July, you'll have a great view of their local parade.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hemet, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Simple, clean room. There's a coffee maker and a mini fridge. The location is ideal in this adorable little town; there are several eateries and shops right across the street.

My husband and I aren't looking for frills in our hotel - just clean sheets and a nice shower. We'll definitely be back.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hamlet Inn? Share your experiences!