“Disappointment and regret” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 10 hotels in Solvang
Los Angeles, California
“Disappointment and regret”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I booked this motel the same day (midweek) to break up the drive from San Francisco to L.A. Normally I read reviews and look at pics on Tripadvisor and have had very good fortune with my stays, but this time I regret not having done my research. I booked it on the fly based on the price and the rating without looking at all of my options. Bad move on my part. I couldn't remember the name of the motel, only that it started with an "H" and was on Mission near 4th or 5th. So when I pulled into Solvang, I accidentally stopped at the Hadsten House nearby. I was impressed with the lobby, the size of the place and the attention of the clerk at the front desk. I asked the clerk what the rate was for the night (there was a vacancy), she quoted $99.00, which is what I paid for the Hamlet Inn. I looked at my phone and discovered the number I called was different from the Hadsten's. I called it and was reminded I had booked a night at the Hamlet Inn just next door. When I pulled in I was shocked. It was certainly a "motel" alright. The few reviews I read were misguided. "Simple" and "no frills" is an understatement. Not having been to Denmark, maybe the Danish motels/hotels are like this. For better or worse, I am accustomed to the American style of hotels/motels. The Holiday Inn Express in Solvang is much better. The room at the Hamlet did smell. I felt like I was sleeping in the IKEA showroom. (And some of my furniture is from IKEA, but when I travel, I expect more for the price). No phone, no dresser, no free breakfast, no pool or jacuzzi, for the same price I could have paid to stay at the Hadsten House?? Really?? Not a good deal at all. I don't know how they get away with this. I read some people like the fact that the Hamlet has air conditioning. So what? So does the Hadsten! It was good that I was only there for one night. I was surprised that on Tripadvisor this place made it all the way to # 4 out of 10. I won't trust the ratings anymore. Next time I travel to Solvang, I will definitely try the Hadsten House and never recommend the Hamlet Inn. It is not a value for the $99.00 plus tax I paid. I regret they require a 48 hour cancellation notice. If they did not, I would have cancelled my reservation at the Hamlet and stayed at the Hadsten. Lesson learned. When booking, make sure to thoroughly review as many hotels/motels as you can, look at all the pictures and then book the one that is suited to your taste and style. This may be "cute, simple and ideal" for some travelers, but for the price, it was certainly not up to my standard. By the way, all the hotels/motels in Solvang are ideally located because all the shops and restaurants are within walking distance from any hotel/motel. Solvang is not that large of a town! You don't need to use your car to get anywhere unless you want to visit the Chumash casino or some other place outside Solvang. When you are in Solvang, you are there to walk around town, not drive around town. That's part of the fun!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, not for the price. It should have been half price, as far as I'm concer...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

152 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Los Alamitos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We don't normally stay at a Motel but we had no choice because of our last minute planning. The place is clean, easy to access, has a small refrigerator, and most importantly air condition. This motel is directly across from Paul's Pancake house.

If you're here for the 4th of July, you'll have a great view of their local parade.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hemet, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Simple, clean room. There's a coffee maker and a mini fridge. The location is ideal in this adorable little town; there are several eateries and shops right across the street.

My husband and I aren't looking for frills in our hotel - just clean sheets and a nice shower. We'll definitely be back.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Torrance
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Within walking distance of center of town,bakery's,good breakfast...etc.
Good wifi here,clean, parking,food,convenient location...etc.
The only thing I didn't like is that the other owners used to offer breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Epsom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Inn is well placed in the centre of Solvang - ideal for a visit to see this unusual bit of Denmark in California and close to good retaurants and wine bars. Room is decorated in a minimalist way - white walls, little furniture - but is roomy enough, has a comfortable bed and gives you that Danish feel. Staff were friendly and helpful. Happy to recommend this motel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Located in the centre of town and across the Street from Paula's Pancakes & Solvang Brewing, perfect for a drink at the end of the day and pancakes in morning. Anthony was a friendly & helpful host. The bikes are free and a quick and fun way to see the town. Easily forget you are in California, feels more like somewhere in Switzerland!
We had a corner room, with two beds (but you had to pass through one to use the bathroom) and had no issue with noise. Very clean and tidy.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Amazing how a small room can be made so efficient that it doesn't seem as small as it is! The parking is free and the location is excellent. Once parked, we never used the car. Everything was within walking distance. There's no laundry or restuarant at the hotel, but thereare several eateries nearby, and a laundromat a few blocks away, if needed. Paula's Pancake House is just across the street, plus the hotel provided a voucher for Olsen's bakery next to Paula's. A plus at this hotel was it also had air-conditioning, which I learned was not a given on our California Coast Trip. Most hotels did NOT have air conditioning, and in the middle of summer, having air at the Hamlet made it one of my favorite hotels on our 9 day trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hamlet Inn? Share your experiences!