“hip and cool w/ great rates” 4 of 5 stars

Hamlet Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1532 Mission Drive, Solvang, CA 93463   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Monterey, California
“hip and cool w/ great rates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

For the price, this place is a steal. I loved the minimalist decor - especially the wool Danish flag throw on the bed and the Edison bulb bedside lights (but the staff should consider dusting these off more often as they are right at eye level). Two of my fave things were that all the lights were on dimmer switches - I don't like harsh, bright light so being able to control this was heaven - and also the large shower with uber hot water. Best shower me and my beau have had in a long time. The bed was very comfy and I got a great night's sleep. The iPhone/iPod docking station allows you to charge your phone and play your own music at the same time. Two luggage racks were provided in lieu of a dresser, which is fine with me. I don't like putting my things in a dresser where I can forget them anyway. The inn is across the street from the Solvang Brewing Company, which has 12 beers brewed on-site. After a few, we just had to make it across the street to our room. We stayed in Room #6. I didn't experience any of the noise problems other reviewers have mentioned. We travel from Monterey to LA often, and I think this will be the place where we break our trip each time. Honestly, I don't understand any of the negative reviews about this place and I'm so glad I went with my instinct. The day after our stay I'd already recommended it to two of my friends. If you like hip, cool renovated motels with great rates, then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Room #6 was spacious and quiet. As previously mentioned, the shower was very large.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Danville. CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Room is clean, simple if not spartan. King bed was comfortable but the not much support on the sides so watch out, it's easy to slip/roll off the edge.

Location was great. Easy walking to anywhere in town.

It was hot outside, so the Room AC was running full time. Loud but not too bad.

Room window faced the main street. A bit noisy but it quieted down by midnight.

A few ants were driven in by the heat and sought out the water in the bathroom. Nothing major but I did get a surprise bite from one.

Over all not a bad night's stay and I would stay there again.

The comment about furnished by IKEA is spot on.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Anaheim, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This quaint hotel was great! Very fast check-in, they even offered us a 'discount card' for about 20 local wineries that offer either free or 2-for-1 wine tastings! Bear in mind, there are only about 15 rooms total, so don't wait too long to book.

Would definitely come back here next time!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The only minor complaint was not having a king size bed available since we are use to one at home and had the same problem in our recent stay in Germany...but on the positive side:
1. very convent access to walk to any place we wanted to see in Solvang...
2. really appreciated the courtesy shown by the front desk, especially the willingness to obtain our boarding passes for our flight back to Texas...
3. room and grounds very clean
4. enjoyed a bottle of wine in the evening sitting in the gazebo...
5. nice big shower
Would be glad to recommend a stay at the Hamlet to anyone....,.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We didn't book any accommodation for our holiday, except for our first night in LA. We drove up to Solvang on our second day and decided to stay at the Hamlet Inn as it was about the cheapest we could find in Solvang. We were pleasantly surprised at how extremely comfortable the bed was. Our long flight must have caught up with us and we slept til 9.30am. Hubby said the people in the room next door had a screaming baby but I didn't hear it. The room was nice and clean.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Studio City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent a couple days here while attending an event in Los Olivos. The place is exactly as described. Small, quaint, and cool. It was right in the middle of town and walking distance to great little bars and restaurants like Root 246. Very minimalist Danish modern. We will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We loved the Hamlet Inn! The rooms are spartan and simple, but they have everything you need and are incredibly comfortable. Think Ikea (ok, it’s Swedish, not Danish) in a red and blue motif. The staff was great – very friendly in a warm, casual kind of way. The inn is steps away from the heart of Solvang, and very easy to access off the highway. The value for money is amazing, and we will stay here again on our next pass through town. We only wished we were staying in the area longer in order to take advantage of their free bikes.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hamlet Inn? Share your experiences!