“Very comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 10 hotels in Solvang
Perth, Australia
“Very comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We didn't book any accommodation for our holiday, except for our first night in LA. We drove up to Solvang on our second day and decided to stay at the Hamlet Inn as it was about the cheapest we could find in Solvang. We were pleasantly surprised at how extremely comfortable the bed was. Our long flight must have caught up with us and we slept til 9.30am. Hubby said the people in the room next door had a screaming baby but I didn't hear it. The room was nice and clean.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

141 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Studio City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent a couple days here while attending an event in Los Olivos. The place is exactly as described. Small, quaint, and cool. It was right in the middle of town and walking distance to great little bars and restaurants like Root 246. Very minimalist Danish modern. We will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We loved the Hamlet Inn! The rooms are spartan and simple, but they have everything you need and are incredibly comfortable. Think Ikea (ok, it’s Swedish, not Danish) in a red and blue motif. The staff was great – very friendly in a warm, casual kind of way. The inn is steps away from the heart of Solvang, and very easy to access off the highway. The value for money is amazing, and we will stay here again on our next pass through town. We only wished we were staying in the area longer in order to take advantage of their free bikes.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We travel from San Francisco to Los Angeles three or four times a year and usually break our trip at Solvang. We have stayed in several Solvang motels, but on the last trip we stayed at the Hamlet Inn and I think we will stay there again on our next trip. The room was a bargain compared to other motels in Solvang and it was clean. The location right in the middle of town can't be beat. The room was furnished in what I would call hip-modern. My only complaint was that the bedside lamp was so modern it didn't give off enough light to read by, but my trusty portable book light came to the rescue. I noticed they had bicycles available for use and although we didn't have time to cycle, I am sure it would be fine if someone was spending some time in Solvang.

Room Tip: We were in a room close to the street, but it wasn't noisy. The place is so small I don't th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tulare, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I found the the Hamlet Inn when searching hotels in Solvang. I picked it do, to it's rating and my budget. Keep in mind nothing is cheap in Solvang, for an average joe like me. The Hamlet rooms are plain, but clean I did read other review talking about stains, we I didn't see any and believe me my wife looked. The room is equipped, a flat screen TV, and small refrigerator, blow dryer, coffee maker and an iPod docking station which I thought was a nice touch. There is NO microwave, but that's okay we ate out the whole time. The staff was extremely nice, and very helpful, so much so that we ended up staying an extra night.
It is also in a great location right on the main strip, at night you can relax on the small patio with a good view of Solvang all lite up at night.

Overall, there are more pros than cons, I would stay here again and I give it 4/5 stars.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have seen where some people say it is a place to sleep and you would only stay for a night. Well, I could stay for the entire week. It is very comfy. When I was making the reservations it was between this and the Marriott ( they were about the same in price). I chose this place based on pictures and info from the website. I don't like staying in hotels, but Solvang is a drive to me, so I will always stay. I looked for these things in the pictures...1) the floors. If the floors were obviously dirty that was a NO. I saw that this inn had been renovated, someone mentioned new carpet, and I saw a picture of the carpets getting cleaned. 2) I don't like lots of furniture in the room, especially cloth furniture. This hotel has little furniture in the rooms. Some are wood so they can be disinfected immediately. 3) bedding...if a hotel still uses bed spread I will pass them up. 4) television...not that I am going to watch tv the whole time, but I feel like if you haven't updated the televisions then chances are you haven't done much updating of any sort. 5) This is my biggie. NO PETS! ...you may not mind sleeping with Sparky or having him roam in your room, but I have a problem with it. I don't own animals nor do I eat them, so I don't want to sleep where they may have slept or walk where they have roamed.

I love the fact that the windows could actually open. Rare in hotels. The floors are thin so you may hear noises from other rooms, but it doesn't bother me. I would also take my own towels the next time. I found the towels to not look appealing, plus there was hair in all of them. I get it though. Hair does get stuck in the fibers in towels and some lady with beautiful locks wrapped her freshly washed hair in the towels and left some behind. The towels looked a little dingy as well.

The inn keeper is really nice. I assume she is an owner. She is someone you would want to patronize, so I will be returning and referring. After our round trip drive, I decided I can only do Solvang in the summer because I really would not want to do that drive in the winter. It is too mountainous. I did get routed through a scary mountain called Old San Marcos Pass. It was a mistake and I vow to never do that again. Coming back on the 101 for me wasn't great until I was out of Santa Barbara County. So, I am only willing to do it in the summer.

It is walking distance to everything. There is a mini fridge, so if you go to the Farmer's Market you can keep your stuff fresh.

Room Tip: Room 15 was good. I would not want room 14 though. Looks really tiny.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Torrance
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Clean,good response from front,well-located,in-expensive and neat.
I've stayed at Hamlet Inn a couple of times and all went well.
Had a good time but the only thing I miss is the free breakfast card they used to give out.
Would stay again.........

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hamlet Inn? Share your experiences!