“Danish Culture at its finest.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Danish, Scandinavian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Wildomar, California
“Danish Culture at its finest.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

We had dinner hear one night. It was okay, not exciting, but Danish. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Service was very good. They explained all the food we didn't know the names of without laughing at our attempts to pronounce them.

California
“5 Visits, overall, 4 good, 1 (most recent) not good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

I have visited this restaurant, 5 times overall, and enjoyed the food. In fact, I always got the Grilled Lemon Chicken. It was a very tasty dish, I have taken family and friends and we all enjoyed our meal. Most recently, I went there alone, prior to see a theatre show for dinner. Little did I realize this would be the worst meal, I have had there. I ordered my usual dish and the food arrived quickly. Soon I realized this was not the normal dish. The restaurant was out of rice, and they substituted mashed potatoes instead. The server never told me this was going to happen or I may have ordered something else. The chicken had mushrooms on it and had not lemon taste at all. I asked to see the menu and noted what I ordered was not what I got. I ate half of it and then told the hostess I was done and I was unhappy. Giving credit where it is due, the hostess did her best to correct the issues. They gave a 50% discount on the meal and free dessert but in the end, it does not make up for a restaurant not seeming to care what they send out of the kitchen. I must not recommend this restaurant and only hope they will read this review and make changes, not sure if I will go back, but if I do will follow up with an additional review.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Wanted authentic Danish aebleskivers and...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010 via mobile

Wanted authentic Danish aebleskivers and sausage. Our server seemed like she wanted to be doing something else and the food was barely lukewarm. Waited to talk to server who didn't come back to table. Another restaurant in town was recommended. Will go there tomorrow.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
California
“Authentic Danish food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

This is a small restaurant that serves authentic Danish food. The staff was very attentive and helpful in ordering food. Every hot entree was served hot. Nothing fancy about the food but good and filling.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Southern California
“Average food, below average service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

We recently had lunch at the Red Viking. The service was very slow despite the restaurant being 2/3 empty (it was about 2 pm on a Sunday). The food was average, somewhat disappointing overall. The Danish meatballs and sausage were tasty and properly cooked, the potatoes though were watery and bland, as was the gravy. We had the abelskiver and it was hot and quite tasty; it compared well to other places in town. For the money, there are other Danish restaurants in Solvang with better food and much better service.

• 3 of 5 stars Food