“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Solvang B&B and Inns
San Diego
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is not a 5 star resort, and doesn't pretend to be. Even though at first it may look a little like a motor court of the 40's or 50's, it has been transformed into a quaint little inn. My wife and I found it nice and quiet compared to living in the city. I guess if you are a very light sleeper or listen real hard, you could hear a little road traffic but we didn't notice any at all. Breakfasts are tasty and adequate if you don't plan on having one in town which is about 1-2 miles away. If the inn is busy, they serve breakfast in a dining room and it has a bit more to offer than if the inn has only a couple of guests where they just make up a breakfast basket that they leave in the room for you to use as you please. The basket contained a couple of hard boiled eggs, some yogurt, granola, bread, orange juice, an apple, and a banana. There is also coffee and tea in the room. Our room had a wet bar, microwave, and mini fridge with basic utensils but no way to wash them short of using shower gel. I guess with daily maid service you really don't need it.
The room (actually two rooms) was spacious and well appointed but not luxurious. If you plan on just staying in the room, you'll be disappointed with the size of the TV's. Neither one was much bigger than a computer monitor. The only other shortcomings we noticed were the dim lighting which seems to be the norm these days with the compact flourescent craze, and the shower stall, which is too small for two, too dark, had poor water pressure, and seemingly tiled by a 5 year old without supervision on their first day on the job. The bed we found was comfortable even with our picky backs.
The staff is very nice, friendly, and helpful. The grounds are also very nice. We didn't use the pool or internet so can't comment on those. We would recommend this place to anyone but party animals who would find this place a bit tame.

Room Tip: Get a room farthest from the road if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Visalia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here for the first, but not the last time, in September of this year (2012). Wonderful change from the pricey, cramped, just ok, overpriced Santa Barbara motel of the night before. Room upgrade was offered and gladly accepted, and I was impressed with the cleanliness and hospitality I received. Breakfast was good and the breakfast area was clean and homey. The setting is so relaxing that I wanted to stay outside in the garden/gazebo area. Definitely plan to return as soon as possible, and recommending this calm, cozy Inn to all of my traveling friends!
Absolutely tops!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Perris, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Love staying here. I feel very comfortable just like I was at home. I have stayed here 4 times and have been very pleased. Beautiful setting and a terrific staff. The breakfast is always very good. I brought some friends over and they said they would stay there next time for sure. Great value and perfect location in between Santa Ynez and Solvang. I prefer not to be in a downtown environment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
West Covina, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We discovered Meadowlark in October 2011 by accident. We looked around the grounds, but due to no vacancies, we were not able to see any of the rooms. But the beautiful gardens, gazebo and the sheer ambience had my mind made up that we would definitely stay at the Meadowlark in the future. In February 2012 I made reservations to stay four nights for the week of October 15, 2012. We just returned from that wonderful four-day stay and we could not have had a better week. The room we stayed in was just beautiful - very accommodating with a small kitchenette. The Meadowlark is conveniently located so sightseeing at Solvang or touring and winetasting at all of the Santa Ynez vineyards. We cannot compliment the staff enough - they are friendly, efficient and very accommodating. After a long day of sightseeing it was very pleasant to return to the Meadowlark and enjoy a bottle of wine in the gardens. Their complimentary breakfasts are very sufficient - frittata, quiche, pastries, lots of fruit. Each evening all in our party sat out in the garden and the staff member graciously brought out a pot of coffee for us to enjoy. We are ready to book another stay at Meadowlark - this time for a full week!

Room Tip: If you like to "eat in" some nights, then I suggest you get the room that has the small ki...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Bakersfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I'll be honest, I was a little nervous booking a room here. The pictures online are pretty frightful and I thought it was a trailer park. I had actually tried finding rooms at many other places, but I was booking last minute and all the other places were booked up. So after reading some reviews somewhere else, I decided to suck it up and book the the Meadowlark. I was really nervous because this was my first romantic getaway with my new lady friend...and she saw the pictures and was as nervous as I was...

Long story short, we both looked at each other after check-in and smiled. Furthermore, on the way home, we decided we "had a place." Cute, right?

So how could my review differ so greatly from others? Am I uncultured? Am I just trash? Am I used to dump hotels? No, hardly...

I'll be honest, even though I hate giving away my secret in fear someone will read this and book "my" room next time I try to head up this way, but in the interest of world peace and One Yelp, I will share.

We stayed in the Cabernet room. It had the private yard, with hot tub and a fire pit. The room was very sizeable and the private yard was perfect. I dont know why people are complaining about the bed, it was very comfortable (perhaps they like firm beds?). I will say though, I wasnt a fan of the pillows...to big and stiff, they had no give to them...the only downside of the room was it was next to the breakfast area, so heard people walking in the morning when I was trying to sleep in...but honestly, the firepit was a huge sell for us...it was so awesome to chill out and sit by a fire all evening...

Now, I'll be honest....when we looked around, we both agreed we would not have been happy staying in one of the other rooms that looked small and had no private area. So, from that point of view, I guess I could see why people may complain about this place. But the big "suite" room was awesome.

The weather was really nice, but I would be concerned staying there in summer. I tried the AC to cool the room off a little and Im not sure how great that would have been in the middle of summer. It didnt seem to pump out cold air very efficiently...thankfully the temps were nice and I didnt have to find out...

The breakfast...yeak, ok, I wasnt exactly blown away...but I just had some fruit and brought a big lunch, so I didnt really care. But I could see how people may not be thrilled with it if they expected some big brilliant breakfast.

So I guess I would say, pay the extra few bucks for the "suites" or dont get your expectations too high...if you pay for the cheap room, the price isnt any different than the holiday inn, so dont expect much more...

Oh, and the front desk lady was very friendly...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We spent three nights at the Meadowlark in September while attending a wedding nearby.

>The location is perfectly located between Solvang and Los Olivios and a great starting off point for restaurants, wine touring and sightseeing.

>The staff could not have been friendlier or more accommodating. From providing wine openers to extra tables to arranging for taxis into town and wine tours, every request was met with a smile. Each member of the Meadowlark team truly seems to enjoy their position and take pride in what they do.

>The rooms are great, especially if you're going with a group of people - we were constantly dragging the chairs from our front patio to each others to share a glass of wine. The beds were soft and comfy and the kitchen was great to have for stocking cheese and wine. There is an amazing gourmet market -- El Rancho -- less than a mile from the Meadowlark that has everything you need to set up for the weekend.

>The property is charming - we were able to take advantage of the firepit in the common area one night with our entire group - fun to sit around with a glass of wine in front of the fire and watch the stars.

>If you are looking to go on a wine tour, look no further than the Meadowlark's own Brigette. A wealth of knowledge and contacts in the area, Brigette took us to four wineries. Including lunch, it was $125 per person - less than half of what you'd pay in Napa and Sonoma - without a hint of pretentiousness.

>We never made it to breakfast before 10, so i can't comment on the hot foods, but the cinnamon bread was fantastic and the coffee nice and strong.

>Overall, the Meadowlark made our trip up to Solvang for the weekend into a relaxing getaway. I'd recommend it to anyone just going to unwind and enjoy!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This B&B is just outside of Solvang, and is a wonderful country retreat. We arrived just in time for some complimentary wine and munchies. We took our glass and sat outside in the gazebo and sank into relaxation. We only stayed one night so didn't have a chance to use a lot of the facilities which include: a bbq, firepit, picnic tables, and a swimming pool. Our room had two queen size beds, dining table,and a kitchen. The furnishings are definitely country, and included a wonderful rocking chair. My only complaint would be that I wish that there had been a bathtub.

The staff was so friendly and helpful. We were very touched by the complimentary bottle of champagne put in our room to celebrate my birthday. The breakfast was also wonderful, with pastries, cereal, fruit, yogurt, and a egg burrito. I saw that other reviews said the breakfast was small, but if it is a bit picked over just let the front desk know you are there and they will quickly fill the plates and make you something hot. At least that was our experience.

We will definitely be coming back, and hopefully stay longer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Meadowlark Inn? Share your experiences!