“I liked it...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Solvang B&B and Inns
Bakersfield
“I liked it...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I'll be honest, I was a little nervous booking a room here. The pictures online are pretty frightful and I thought it was a trailer park. I had actually tried finding rooms at many other places, but I was booking last minute and all the other places were booked up. So after reading some reviews somewhere else, I decided to suck it up and book the the Meadowlark. I was really nervous because this was my first romantic getaway with my new lady friend...and she saw the pictures and was as nervous as I was...

Long story short, we both looked at each other after check-in and smiled. Furthermore, on the way home, we decided we "had a place." Cute, right?

So how could my review differ so greatly from others? Am I uncultured? Am I just trash? Am I used to dump hotels? No, hardly...

I'll be honest, even though I hate giving away my secret in fear someone will read this and book "my" room next time I try to head up this way, but in the interest of world peace and One Yelp, I will share.

We stayed in the Cabernet room. It had the private yard, with hot tub and a fire pit. The room was very sizeable and the private yard was perfect. I dont know why people are complaining about the bed, it was very comfortable (perhaps they like firm beds?). I will say though, I wasnt a fan of the pillows...to big and stiff, they had no give to them...the only downside of the room was it was next to the breakfast area, so heard people walking in the morning when I was trying to sleep in...but honestly, the firepit was a huge sell for us...it was so awesome to chill out and sit by a fire all evening...

Now, I'll be honest....when we looked around, we both agreed we would not have been happy staying in one of the other rooms that looked small and had no private area. So, from that point of view, I guess I could see why people may complain about this place. But the big "suite" room was awesome.

The weather was really nice, but I would be concerned staying there in summer. I tried the AC to cool the room off a little and Im not sure how great that would have been in the middle of summer. It didnt seem to pump out cold air very efficiently...thankfully the temps were nice and I didnt have to find out...

The breakfast...yeak, ok, I wasnt exactly blown away...but I just had some fruit and brought a big lunch, so I didnt really care. But I could see how people may not be thrilled with it if they expected some big brilliant breakfast.

So I guess I would say, pay the extra few bucks for the "suites" or dont get your expectations too high...if you pay for the cheap room, the price isnt any different than the holiday inn, so dont expect much more...

Oh, and the front desk lady was very friendly...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We spent three nights at the Meadowlark in September while attending a wedding nearby.

>The location is perfectly located between Solvang and Los Olivios and a great starting off point for restaurants, wine touring and sightseeing.

>The staff could not have been friendlier or more accommodating. From providing wine openers to extra tables to arranging for taxis into town and wine tours, every request was met with a smile. Each member of the Meadowlark team truly seems to enjoy their position and take pride in what they do.

>The rooms are great, especially if you're going with a group of people - we were constantly dragging the chairs from our front patio to each others to share a glass of wine. The beds were soft and comfy and the kitchen was great to have for stocking cheese and wine. There is an amazing gourmet market -- El Rancho -- less than a mile from the Meadowlark that has everything you need to set up for the weekend.

>The property is charming - we were able to take advantage of the firepit in the common area one night with our entire group - fun to sit around with a glass of wine in front of the fire and watch the stars.

>If you are looking to go on a wine tour, look no further than the Meadowlark's own Brigette. A wealth of knowledge and contacts in the area, Brigette took us to four wineries. Including lunch, it was $125 per person - less than half of what you'd pay in Napa and Sonoma - without a hint of pretentiousness.

>We never made it to breakfast before 10, so i can't comment on the hot foods, but the cinnamon bread was fantastic and the coffee nice and strong.

>Overall, the Meadowlark made our trip up to Solvang for the weekend into a relaxing getaway. I'd recommend it to anyone just going to unwind and enjoy!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This B&B is just outside of Solvang, and is a wonderful country retreat. We arrived just in time for some complimentary wine and munchies. We took our glass and sat outside in the gazebo and sank into relaxation. We only stayed one night so didn't have a chance to use a lot of the facilities which include: a bbq, firepit, picnic tables, and a swimming pool. Our room had two queen size beds, dining table,and a kitchen. The furnishings are definitely country, and included a wonderful rocking chair. My only complaint would be that I wish that there had been a bathtub.

The staff was so friendly and helpful. We were very touched by the complimentary bottle of champagne put in our room to celebrate my birthday. The breakfast was also wonderful, with pastries, cereal, fruit, yogurt, and a egg burrito. I saw that other reviews said the breakfast was small, but if it is a bit picked over just let the front desk know you are there and they will quickly fill the plates and make you something hot. At least that was our experience.

We will definitely be coming back, and hopefully stay longer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
burbank, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Just east of Solvang, this place offers a relaxed country-type setting. Our bedroom was spacious and adjoined a sitting room that included a refrigerator, microwave oven and sink. After a round of golf in mid-90 degree weather, it was pure joy sitting in the tree-shaded garden with a cool drink. A fountain gave an added touch of tranquility. A light breakfast was offered in a small, bright dining area. Definitely worth a repeat visit.

Room Tip: Great location and worth the money.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Staff were warm, friendly and super nice. We came here for my wife's b-day getaway. Brought 2 toddlers but totally enjoyed our stay. Beautiful garden and great scenery. Delicious breakfast. Room itself is cozy and clean. We even picked up some grapes per owner's recommendation which my kids totally enjoyed. I can really see and feel how happy they were. Stayed here for 2 nights and indeed, it was a great experience worthy to remember.

• Stayed August 2012
North Hills, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

this place is set in such a relaxing country type atmosphere felt like my own home especially outdoors in the garden and around the firepits and barbeques that they have setup outside.The rooms were very clean & comfortable. The staff was very friendly, and the breakfast was good. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Valencia, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

great little place just outside Solvang. Quaint atmosphere. Clean rooms. Friendly staff. Would stay again. Only complaint is the sheets were not very soft...which is something I have not noticed in other hotels before.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Meadowlark Inn? Share your experiences!