“I'm not quite sure what to say” 3 of 5 stars

Viking Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1506 Mission Drive, Solvang, CA 93463   |
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Auburn, Washington
“I'm not quite sure what to say”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

If you're looking for the lowest priced accomodations in Solvang, the Viking Motel is probably it. But be prepared. Our king room ($91 including tax) while OK size-wise, was showing signs of age and wear. When I made our reservation about two months ago (we were in Solvang on a Fri. at the end of May), I was told there was a fridge and micro; there wasn't. There was no in-room coffee and the motel does not offer breakfast. Since the restaurants in town are overpriced (IMO), the cost of breakfast is something you should factor in. The bed and pillows were OK; the sheets were threadbare. I had a hard time getting internet connected and once that was worked out, the internet was spotty and kept disconnecting and then re-connecting. The water pressure in the shower was good. We would probably not stay at the Viking again, but to tell the truth, Solvang wasn't really our cup of tea so we probably will not come to Solvang again anyway.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Santa Barbara, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

My boyfriend and I wanted to go wine tasting for his birthday, but were put off by the expensive hotel rates in Los Olivos, Solvang, and the surrounding areas. After a lot of research, I discovered the Viking Motel.

The Viking Motel is not luxurious, but it was a comfortable place to sleep for one night. The room was clean and even had a microwave and a mini fridge. Upon check-in, we received a voucher for a drink and a pastry each at a nearby bakery, which was nice. Most importantly, this motel offered accommodations very close to local wineries and Solvang restaurants, where we had dinner. At $80 for the night (including tax), this is a great place to rest your head.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

After reading the comments, I admit I was a bit reluctant to book a room here. My grandparents and family settled in Solvang in the 1930's, and I generally have a free room. This time I was coming in late so I looked into booking a room. Aside from the most affordable option, the staff was extremely accommodating, arriving late they met me and gave me my keys and my room. They even called me to give me instructions on access, since the motel is small and family owned. Sparsely decorated, I was so happy to have a nice, clean, comfortable room with a TV, nice shower, and quiet surroundings. On the noise comment by others - I specifically walked past another room right next door and they had the TV on really loud. When I got into my room, the sound never permeated from the room next door! I was impressed that the walls had good insulation. I never smelled smoke. Also, I love this location! Everywhere else in October (crush season for the wineries) were all booked up except for ridiculously expensive places. Only needing one or two nights, this served me just fine, walking outside in the morning to head over to Birkholm's for a great coffee and pastry, not needing breakfast included in the room. There are so many places to choose from in Solvang to have coffee and pastry in my opinion as a local it's better to just go bare bones with the hotel room and splurge on other things you can enjoy while you are visiting. I had my road bike on my car and felt really safe. They even allowed me to keep my car all day at the motel while I took off on a really long ride until early evening. Also, great that the market is right across the street.

Room Tip: I believe they are all adequate and not too many options. All on one level. Really good for staying...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Camarillo, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

It was fine for what we paid. We got the very front room behind office on main street. I was afraid it was going to be loud, but once we closed the window it was ok. It smelled like smoke. A lot. (which is why they had the windows open I'm guessing) Room is small-ish, but if you're just going to sleep there it's ok. Not a lot of parking. Nice little market across the street for sodas, wine, snacks. There was a little fridge in the room, so that was nice. I think a microwave too maybe. There's no dresser in the room, which is really weird. We just left our clothes in the suitcase as we were only there for one night. Any more and some drawers would have been nice. The tv stand took up most of the room. There was a small table. Bathroom was old, but fine. The whole place could use a LOT of repairs and updating. The bed was ok. The linens were not extremely clean-looking. There were water stains on the ceiling and walls. Wi-fi not consistent. Location was good. Most things walkable. "breakfast" was just a danish & coffee across the street. Meh. We went & found a real place for breakfast. Close to the Chumash Casino if you're going for a show. A LOT cheaper to stay here than the Chumash or most other places in town. We will probably stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sierra Vista
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I was very concerned about staying here after some of the reviews. We had no concerns. It is on the end of Mission, but within walking distance of the entire town. Got a coupon for a complimentary drink and Danish at the bakery down the street. Free wifi worked extremely well, very clean, and ac worked great. Tracy was extremely helpful and friendly and allowed us to take a look at two different rooms before choosing. We chose #2. The room was very clean and comfortable, this is a motel, nothing fancy, but what do you expect for $65 for a king? We would definitely stay here again. We saved enough money here to enjoy Solvang more.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittenweem, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

we stayed here in a last minute search for a room after being let down by another motel. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. Service was excellent, staff were helpful and welcoming. This was one of our favourite stops and we look forward to visiting again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Its a MOTEL! What do you expect!?!?! I'm not sure what some reviewers are talking about. I only spent $54 for a place to sleep and shower. The rooms are clean and well maintained. Shower was well stocked with supplies and spotless. The manager has put in new flat screen, wall mounted TVs and large mini refrigerators. The free wi-fi was a nice touch as well. The manager is sweet and really helpful. Beds were comfy and extra pillows were already in closet. It includes a nice FREE breakfast and the Danish cafe across the street... And it's good! It's not a 5 star hotel by any means and needs some updating. However, it's a nice and quiet place to relax after a long drive. I have stayed in 5 star hotels domestically and internationally and I have some pretty high standards. I rated this place comparing it to some of the better places I have stayed. I give the Viking a perfect score compared to other value hotels I have stayed at. It's

• Stayed June 2013