“Cheap but dirty and falling apart” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Viking Motel

Viking Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Solvang
Viking Motel
1506 Mission Drive, Solvang, CA 93463   |
Ranked #10 of 10 hotels in Solvang
Yerevan, Armenia
“Cheap but dirty and falling apart”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Our biggest mistake was not checking Trip Advisor before staying here! The location is great for anything in Solvang, but we would not recommend more than one night. There is no internet, even though the owner claimed there is. I went to the front desk and she offered us to check out and stay somewhere else. The blanket was ripped, the towels are tired, the microwave didnt work, and there were ANTS crawling around, and it's winter! Next time we would stay down the road in Buellton, which is only 3 miles..

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Although we were visiting Solvang, we stayed at the Viking Motel..which is owned by a Chinese woman who barely spoke English, was very rude and only seemed to care about how much money she could get for room, which was over-priced. The place wreaked of fish and chinese food. Once in the room, it was old and dirty and the blankets didn't seem to have been washed in years. Just shaking out the blanket because of the smell of dust made a dust storm in room. And, asking for help from the maid - she didn't speak English, she spoke only Spanish. I had to use my own blankets. I would not stay here again and would not recommend it.to anyone. If you want to experience Solvang, don't stay here - it's more like staying in China, or Mexico.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

As another review states this is what happens if you don't book. I called into the reception and was offered room 2 at the special rate of $99.00 plus tax for one night. I thought this was good until I saw the room. Wall paper comming off the walls, dirty and very dated.

To be fair I did get a full refund.

If I were you I would spend the extra money for another hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed 2 nights ($150 a night) here this last weekend. We stayed in room #112 (King Bed). The room was a little dated (circa 70's) but clean. The bed was very comfortable. we were walking distance to food,shops etc.. If you dont want to spend an arm and a leg at one of the other hotels ($300 a night and up),and would like to save your money for buying wine. Then this is the hotel for you. I would not hesitate to stay here again. If your wife wants everything new and fresh, then this is not your hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

We have stayed here 3 years in a row with our two greyhounds, attending the annual
Solvang Greyhound Gathering. The motel is in a greyt location; quiet, very close to a
large empty lot where we can walk the dogs. You get a voucher for a basic breakfast
at a nearby Danish bakery (pastry with coffee or tea). Staff is friendly, helpful and they
remember us from year to year. Rooms have wood floors (instead of carpet) which is
very good for dogs. They are on the small side, as this is an older small motel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Menlo Park
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

I can't rate this place as I have not yet stayed here, though i will be staying there this coming Friday. I have a timeshare in Solvang but won't be available until Saturday night so I decided to book this place so I don't have to drive on Dec. 24.

I've stayed in Solvang in the past and have driven past this place about 10 years ago and even looked at the rooms inside and thought that for the price, the rooms were clean and in a great location. I've stayed at some of the more expensive motels, inns and hotels in Solvang, yet I suspect that this place will be perfect for my purpose, wich is to avoid driving on Christmas eve!

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Tustin, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is what happens when you don't make reservatons in advance. The only room available for my wife and I and our 6lb yorkie was at the Viking Motel. We paid $149.40 for a room that was out of the 60's. Loud music all night coming from rooms at the other end of the motel. Management didn't shut it down. Room was clean, but small and noisy: would not recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: Don't Stay