“Sumptuous dining experience that doesn't disappoint” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Buffet
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Buffet
Washington, DC
“Sumptuous dining experience that doesn't disappoint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We traveled from San Francisco to Los Angeles and a day trip in a Danish town Solvang is a must. We dined at a relatively pricey restaurant but we craved for authentic Danish cuisine and were NOT disappointed.

We ordered pickled herring as a starter and the plate included herring pieces in three different wonderful sauces. It was more than enough for two people. For the main course we chose veal schnitzel - I loved it and highly recommend it - and Oksesteg (roast beef Danish style), also a good dish. We capped our evening with a nice desert of some Danish puffs with ice cream - no regrets. Bon appetite!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Higham Ferrers, United Kingdom
“Stuck in the eighties”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I started catering in the eighties when a con job came from France called nouvelle cuisine.
I thought it had died the death but alas i was wrong.
This amazing little bit of Denmark was badly let down by this restaurant.
Never in all the times that I have come to the States have I left a restaurant and still been hungry.
If like me you have just driven up from LA and you want a meal of substance either order a Starter and a Main or try somewhere else.
The food like with the other reviews is OK but nothing to go crazy about.
On the hole if anybody asked me if I would go back again the answer is no.
One dissatisfied Brit.
I have rated it low because hopefully they will read my comments and act if they are bothered.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Ojai, CA
“Good food, friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This isn't the fanciest place in town, but I've eaten here two or three times and the food has always been good and the servers very friendly. It is a good place for kids and has good vegetarian and fish options. I've honestly picked this place in the past because the more romantic spots in town were closed or too busy, but I'll seek it out in the future. I expected because of the touristy looking exterior that the food would be sub-par, but have been pleasantly surprised. It has traditional Danish food and California style food. It has a small wine and beer list, but well selected.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Delicious crab cakes!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

The dishes were slightly expensive but delicious. I was not very hungry, so I ordered the crab cakes. They were wondefully seasoned and were served with a delicious tomato, avocado and shrimp salad. My parents ordered a Cobb Salad and a Chicken Sandwich and the portions were generous. The waiter was very nice and helpful. We ordered our dinner to to go.

Grand Forks, North Dakota
“overpriced and slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We had lunch at Bit O'Denmark on a Friday recently. We were the only patrons in the restaurant, yet they still managed to make us wait before they took our order and they brought me the wrong beer. The food was very average, though I will say that the Monte Cristo had real (as in, just cut from the bone) turkey and ham rather than the cold cuts I've had occasionally. Still, for the price, the food was very average and the service left a lot to be desired (the 2 staff members chose to chat at the bar rather than assist us). Not a bad meal, but not something I'd go back for again.

Visited September 2012