“Another Ogden gem” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Root 246 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 58 Restaurants in Solvang
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Los Angeles
“Another Ogden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

We enjoy Bradley Ogden's cuisine in our occasional trips to Las Vegas. So it was very pleasant to discover that we could enjoy it without the long drive. My short rib and my wife's lamb shank were both perfectly prepared, and the prices are very reasonable for this quality.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Ca
“Excellent!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

This place was amazing..the ambiance, the service, and the FOOD... Oh my god..its perfect...Got to see the kitchen, I could eat off the floors, super super clean. Great job!!

Santa Barbara, California
“Very Nice Atmosphere and Very Good Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

I have to agree with the previous reviewers title "If your not having dinner here, for your sake, i hope you are at The Ballard Inn Restaurant". Very well put as the Ballard Inn is my favorite restaurant in the Santa Ynez Valley and because of that Root 246 had a lot to live up to. My wife had previously tried Root 246 and said she loved it. I myself was a bit hesitant after reading some of the reviews here at Tripadvisor but it was my Birthday and my wife made the reservations so that took my opinion out of the equation.

My first impressions at arrival was the atmosphere/decor were amazing. We were immediately greeted and seated and the staff is very professional. We ordered a bottle of Lincourt Cab (local) which was actually reasonably priced and had 2 starters. The Maytag Blue Cheese Souffle' was out of this world as was the Miso Glazed Pork Belly with 2 tiny springrolls. Man both of those were to die for great.

For our main course my wife ordered the Lamb over shitake mushroom risotto and I ordered the 10 ounce Rib Eye with marbled potatoes. Right when the plates came I looked over the 2 dishes and immediately came to the conclusion that once again, my wife ordered the better dish. There was enough food on her palte to feed both of us! Her's was absolutely excellant. Risotto was killer and the lamb was tender and moist... and delicious (I'm not a huge fan of lamb, but this might of been the best tasting meat I've ever had). Then there was mine. I love a great steak and I usually judge a restaurant by just how they prepare and serve their meat. I don't think I have ever seen such a thin piece of meat in my life. It was large in diameter, however it was only 1/4 inch thick... I kid you not! It was tasty as were the potatoes that came on the side, however the next time I go I will definately be trying something else.

In conclusion, I thought the whole experience was incredible. Although the steak was not up to my personnal expectations, it was tasty. But the ambience, service, and starters made up for any discontent of the steak. I will definately add Root 246 to our restaurant list of places to eat. Was it as good as the Ballard Inn? Actually quite difficult to compare but I will say that it is a "Ballard Inn Caliber" restaurant with it's own unique twist.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
so. cal
“If your not having dinner here, for your sake, i hope you are at The Ballard Inn Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

This is the second time eating at this restaurant and again it amazed me with it's innovation and flavor. I had the Sturgeon with spinach/basil gnocchi. Insanely delicious. The homemade ice sampler spoons with an espresso was a perfect way to end the dinner. Hands down one of the best places to eat in Santa Ynez Valley.

Belton
“Worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

Full Disclosure: we were talking with the owners of a local wine bar in solvang, and commented that we had read mixed reviews of 246 on some travel sites. He knew the owner, was adamant that the restaurant would meet and exceed our expectations and placed a call on our behalf. We definitely had some perks: The chance to tour the kitchen and meet the chefs, but I don't honestly think it changed the food or service from what I could see with other diners.

So, the space is beautiful, the outside bar with fireplace appears very calm and soothing, but classy. Two bar areas, one quiet, one with TV's. The dining space is very clean, cool and calming. We had what seem to be the signature dishes: blue cheese souffle and oysters for appetizers, then shared the "fried" chicken entree. The oysters where hands down the best my wife and I have ever had. The souffle light and delicious. The dressing on the accompany salad to the souffle was a bit thick and sweet to my tastes, but that's personal.

The chicken was simply stunning: crunching crisp, thin skin, tender and sweet with what are the best mashed potatoes in the world. Dessert was a shared cheese plate.

In my mind prices were very reasonable ($10-12 for appetizers and the entree wa $27).

If you purchase a bottle at the Taste of the Valley wine shop in town, 246 will waive the corkage fee.