“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 10 hotels in Solvang
California
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

We attended a school event in Santa Ynez. This hotel was very close to our destination. It's located in a safe area. Many people can be seen walking. The streets are lined with trees strung with Christmas lights (very pretty). The room was comfortable and clean. They offered a free hot breakfast. My son ate pancakes. My husband had the eggs and sausage. I had cereal and toast. Not bad, considering it was free. We were walking distance from many restaurants. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Kamesh N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solvang, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Hello Packersfan1990,

We appreciate your great review of our hotel and are glad you were able to enjoy our
hot complimentary breakfast with your family. We will see you again next time you travel to Solvang.

260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
newport beach, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Hotel was clean and fairly efficient. They seem to follow a manual and do not want to differ from it for any reason, for example, we tried to check in ten minutes early and were told that it wasn't check-in time. Nevertheless, it was a comfortable stay, convenient location and we would stay here again if need be.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up, looking out over the fields (the parking lot is on the other side)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hello poggy2002,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel in Solvang. We appreciate the positive feedback and will do our best to exceed your expectations on your next visit.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

I booked a night and paid fully through hotwire, but I still get charged extra with no description on the bill. I called both parties, hotwire and the motel. The answer I got was, the staff was on holiday. To date still not resolved.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear wsunarko,

Please do contact me at the hotel directly to solve this issue, if it has not yet been resolved.
805-688-2018

Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I was very disappointed in the customer "service" at this hotel. First off, I'll admit it was my mistake - I inadvertently made reservatons at two hotels for the same night. When I arrived at the Holiday Inn in Solvang it was quickly discovered that my reservation was for the night before - PREPAID - $354.00 for two rooms.

The real problem, however was the reaction from the front desk. All she could say, over and over again, was "I have no reservation" even after I explained what had happened and showed her my printed receipt. I asked for the manager, but got Chrissy - the "person in charge" - who repeated this yet again. Rooms were available but there was no offer to help - no discounted room for the night, no empathy whatsoever.

I called Holiday Inn's corporate line and they told me that any assistance is at the discretion of local management - there was nothing they could do. I will never stay at another Holiday Inn.

I was so disgusted I left town and stayed at another chain's hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kamesh N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solvang, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Ron R,

We are truly sorry that you were dissapointed. Unfortunately your reservation was prepaid, non-cancelable. You have arrived at the hotel on a wrong date. Unfortunately we could not accommodate you with the forfeited deposit.
Happy Holidays
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel while visiting the wine country. We just needed a place for the night. We checked in late and the staff was helpful and our rooms were waiting for us. We were given a room on the first floor facing the main road. We managed to fall asleep for about an hour only to be awakened by unruly guests and kids playing in the hallway. When it finally got quiet in the hallway, the road traffic got heavier and it was impossible to get back to a full night sleep. Hallway is in dire need of a new carpet. Rooms should have two full set of towels. Breakfast was the typical Holiday Inn Express Fare. Sorry but never again at this location or at least in any room 101 to 124.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Rooms 101 to 124
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Lisa W, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Solvang, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear pascalphx,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you thought of our hotel. We really do appreciate it!
I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. Please do let us know next time you experience noise in the hallways, we will be able to take control of the situation.
We hope that you can schedule another trip to the Valley, as there is always so much to do. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I wasn't disappointed by the HIE Solvang, nor was I totally impressed. So in fairness a 3 out of 5 review.

The pluses. The breakfast meets the HIE standard. I appreciate having boiled eggs because the bagged scrambled eggs that are re-heated never really taste like scrambled eggs. So having real eggs in the form of boiled eggs is appreciated. The bathroom was clean. The room is ok. The hotel is not a motel but the rooms are conveniently accessed by multiple entrances in a quasi-motel like format. The internet connection was reasonably fast. Front desk staff and service was good. Staff are friendly.

The minuses. No fitness center. Most HIE's I stay at have fitness centers. It's hard enough being on the road without having the annoyance of staying at a hotel with no fitness centre. The room is ok, could use a bit of updated. The windows badly need upgrading to sound-proof windows. Road noise permeates into the hotel rooms making it difficult for light sleepers. I found myself wide awake in the early morning when road traffice resumed on the roadway. For a Motel 6, no problem with this level of noise. But for a HIE, inexcusable. In terms of prioritization for upgrades, I'd recommend the hotel upgrade the windows before upgrading the rooms. Soundproofing is needed to help mitigate the road noise. Minor nitpick and this is something I never comment on but it was apparent to me. The toilet paper was a rough one-ply toilet paper unbefitting the HIE brand. I had never noticed toilet paper before in hotels because typically it's soft. At HIE Solvang, the toilet paper was good to write on but not really good to use for it's intended purpose. It probably helps the hotel cut its costs in using this low-grade toilet paper, but at what cost in customer satisaction (dissatisfaction)?

Room Tip: Stay away from any rooms at the front of the hotel to avoid the road noise that permeates into the r...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Cabbagetown,

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary hot American breafast, service of our staff as well as our high speed internet.

In regards to your comment of a fitness center, I think it would be a good asset to our lovely hotel, although most guests coming to Solvang usually like to walk around town. I apologize
for the noise leven you experienced during your stay. Hopefully next time you visit us we could
accommodate you on our park side.

We do hope to see you again when you are travelling to Solvang.

Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The front desk clerk was very nice and the complementary breakfast was tasty but neither of those things would convince me to stay at this hotel again. Like many hotels in Solvang, it fronts on a relatively busy road so we paid a little extra for a room in the back with a view of the park. Should be tranquil, right? Instead this was the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in. There was a constant rumble which can only be likened to sleeping on a plane & listening to the engines roar. I am one of those people who can sleep any where, any time, but this kept even me up. There is really no point in listing other pros & cons because if you can't sleep in a hotel, what is the point?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lisa W, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Solvang, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear karen89178,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a detailed review. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I just want to assure you that our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I apologize that we fell below your expectations on this particular day. I do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Lisa Walter

Been to Holiday Inn Express Solvang? Share your experiences!