“We never got to actually stay here b/c they never returned our call!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Wine Valley Inn & Cottages

You added Wine Valley Inn & Cottages to your Saves list
Wine Valley Inn & Cottages
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1564 Copenhagen Dr, Solvang, CA 93463   |
Special Offer
SPA Special
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Huntington Beach, California
“We never got to actually stay here b/c they never returned our call!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

We are planning a girls getaway in Solvang and thought that The Wine Valley would be a perfect fit for us. So we went to their website and sent an email to their general info email address...a week went by and no response. I placed a phone call and spoke to a girl who was able to answer most of my questions, but when asked about the cancellation policy on a block of rooms she directed me to her supervisor. I was transfered to the Sandra's voice mail where I left a message with my question as well as a call back number. That was four days ago and I have yet to receive a return phone call. Obviously they either don't need the business or just don't care. How does a place with such poor customer service stay in business??

• Stayed October 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Castle Rock, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

We stayed in a king-loft room that had plenty of space, comfortable, clean and quiet. Unfortunately, no pool or hot tub. Although the cottages do have private hot tubs. Solvang is an interesting place--didn't really feel like Southern California--more like Southern Germany! Aside from that, the town of Solvang is perfect central location for touring the many Santa Ynez Valley Wineries. Don't miss the town of Los Olivos!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Moorhead, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

the bed linens and towels were clean and soft, which is always a plus. the room we stayed in had windows overhead, so we couldn't see out them. however, we did have a relatively private table/chairs outside our room. the staff were helpful and friendly. it was right in town, which made it easy to walk to restaurants, shopping, and tasting rooms. the rugs and the upholstered furniture were worn, but not badly. i loved the mattress, it was a great night's sleep for me!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

A little more shabby than chic, but kept in the character of an “aged” building in Solvang. It was rough around the edges that tipped it closer to a motel like stay, but with the remodeled interiors, it was definitely a cozy , comfortable inn. That said about the aesthetics, the staff was very helpful. Our heater was not working, but they took care of us by bringing us a space heater as we were already settled and preferred not to change rooms. I also enjoyed the complimentary breakfast in the morning and wine tasting in the evening. The wine tasting was a nice little gathering that included cheese and crackers and wine from a local vineyard. There is also a complimentary computer in the lobby for your use. The location is perfect for exploring Solvang – you could walk to shops and restaurants, and parking is free so it was easy to drive in and out.

In all, good price point for what you get.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for two nights on August 19th and 20th. We stayed in a 2 story King Loft Room. The room was great, one of my favorite room styles of any hotel I've stayed in. Everything look and felt new from the bedding, to the new flat screen TV downstairs (upstairs TV was more dated but whatever), and the lighting/paintings.

The shower/tub NEEDS an update badly. If you're about 5'8" or below the shower will be perfect. I'm 6'6" and the shower head was about chest high at best. Seems with all the money they've spent on these places that moving the shower head up 8 inches (there's space!) and a new showerhead would be a cheap conclusion to the room!

Fitness Room was literally a room with a couple old pieces of ardio equipment and a very limited selection of free weights. There were also no towels and no cups for the water. With that said, I never expected to have a fitness center option so this was better than nothing!

Location was perfect for Solvang. Walking distance to everything including the outdoor theatre (saw West Side Story- great production) and all restaurants in Solvang. We enjoyed every minute of our two nights and think there's plenty enough to do to fill up a couple days. If you're looking for a party scene, don't do Solvang, if you're looking for a romantic couple nights with a bunch of wine/European beer and great food, Solvang is perfect for you.

This hotel was much nicer than I anticipated and despite the hefty price tag (accustomed to spending 60-80 for hotels on Priceline) it was worth every penny. Highly recommend despite the two minor complaints above.

(If you're a sensitive sleeper, which we are not, previous reviews about the walls being really thin are valid as you can hear everything going on outside of the walls of your room. If you're not a sensitive sleeper, this won't bug you)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

Solvang was a bit of an impulse-booking for me. We were going to stay in Santa Barbara for a night, but found it was pretty expensive, and Solvang stood out as a nice alternative that wasn't too far away.

Solvang is weird. So is this hotel, although by Solvang standards, this is very much a normal hotel. It's hard to write a review of it, because the hotel and the town were just nothing like anything else I experienced in my travels around California.

That's definitely a good thing. Finding the check in desk was a tiny bit harder than usual as the hotel is made of several buildings and a clocktower. When I did go in, it was very cosy and well decorated - the breakfast room and a lounge adjoin onto it and it's a very welcoming start.

Wheeling my suitcase further, I went through a very pretty garden with quaint wooden bridges over little streams, which was very nice, but the stairs up to my third floor room were less well maintained and the third floor itself was pretty hard to find (a byproduct of the hotel's perhaps overdone quaintness) - the elevator didnt go there, and to find it you had to walk down a dark passage between two rooms, completely un-signposted.

The room we stayed in was one of their top floor loft rooms - not one of the two-floor rooms or the cottages - so my experience was likely very different to a lot of people. The bathroom was superb, but the rest of the room felt a little bit old. The mini bar was very reasonable and for some reason had a rubber duck in it even though we only had a shower. I'm not sure what they expected me to do with that so I left it there. Breakfast was predicably pastry-based (Solvang is a Danish settlement).

Location wise, it's practically in the main shopping area so wandering out to the many odd little shops was easy, and there were lots of wine bars, tasting rooms and restaurants nearby. Parking was very easy and spacious.

I loved this hotel. It's worth mentioning my girlfriend was less impressed at first - it's not the most luxurious place, and Solvang is a bit disorienting to arrive in - but she warmed to it after a few glasses of wine. And wine is something you won't be short of in Solvang. Unless you go on a Tuesday, when everything closes by 8.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

We were looking forward to staying in our loft room in Solvang, the pictures on the internet looked very impressive and it was the most expensive hotel room we had booked on our entire honeymoon. The front desk staff were very unfriendly, have handed over our booking and saying that we had prebooked a room the chap started tapping on the computer, not saying a single word. When he did speak to us he just grunted the room number and pointed to direct us to the room. after lugging our cases up the staircase with no offer of help to carry them (not that I would have accepted any help being both a) a manly man and b) too tight to tip) we got into our room which was very dated. The room was a murky brown colour, and a lot smaller than their website led us to believe. The bathroom was very dated and looked like it could do with a good clean, also there was no sink in the bathroom as it was tiny.. which meant that you had to wash your hands in the kitchen after using the toilet which can't be hygienic. Solvang itself was a very interesting place but, to be honest, there was not really enough there to warrant staying overnight unless you need to. It's a cool place to stop but a after a couple of hours you will probably have exhausted the town, and the hotels in the area are very expensive for what they are.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Wine Valley Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!