“Wonderful Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Ojai, California
“Wonderful Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

My husband and I love the location, room size, comfort, and cleanliness. We especially want to compliment the staff - especially Francis, who was very patient and informative during our check-in and check-out.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you for providing us with your feedback on your stay at Wine Valley Inn. We are happy to hear that you like our always spacious and clean rooms. We hope you were able to enjoy our free complimentary breakfast, and Wi-Fi. Thank you for the wonderful comments you have regarding our amazing team members. We hope you can stay with us on your next visit to Solvang California.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Moorpark, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Our room was VERY noisy. The walls felt paper thin. We could hear the people above us walking around and talking all night long. They had their TV going the whole night. People getting back late at night(1:00am) we're loud as thy walked back to their room. My overall experience was terrible since we were not able to get a decent nights sleep. When I mentioned this at checkout the person simply commented that the previous night they had had to call the police due to a disturbance. We were very disappointed since it is a very cute hotel and centrally located but if the noise level is that disruptive in the off season I can't imagine what it would be like there in the peak summer months. I would not stay there again

Room Tip: Stay at the top level so no one is above and away from saris where people are coming up and down at...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Let me start by apologizing for the inconvenience that was caused to you during your stay at Wine Valley Inn and Cottages. Please know that we are currently working on remodeling the entire property and one of our remodeling process is the better insulation of our rooms. We would love to see you again at our property so that you may see that what you encountered on your first stay at our property was a fluke and that our property in deed is a quiet and safe hotel.

temecula
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

To think just a few years ago this was one of our favorite places to stay, and now today what a disappointment. My girlfriend & I have stayed at the W.V.I. on several occasions over the last 5 years & have always found it charming & welcoming, not this time ! We were put in a motel style room & was not very pleased. We ask if we could be moved, this was on a Sunday during of season 1/12/14 & was given quite an attitude by the front desk, something we were not use to from past stays. We were told the W.V.I. has recently been sold & that's was to explain the attitude & the lack of making us feel welcomed. We told them we would just like to check out & go somewhere else. We were told not a problem, that will be $99 the cost of the night's stay. I told them I'm not going to pay them $100 just to leave, finally another person came out to help & said we were to be upgraded, they just missed it. We moved to their loft room in the motel style building. The halls & room were in poor shape & being my birthday it just didn't feel welcoming.
We tried to make the best of it & went to the Hitching Post for a nice bd dinner. When we returned to this run down room at 10:30 pm, I still was not very happy or satisfied. Talk to the same gentleman that originally checked us in & out & back in again & he moved us once again, to a much nicer room in their other building. The building was in total disarray, plaster missing from the bottom 6" of all the walls, constructing going on all over the property, a mess ! ! ! The hotel obviously should have been closed for renovations. We were told the new owners were trying to do things on the cheap & that's why the poor conditions, & I guess that's why the poor attitude !
What was once a special place, is now a run down & rude shell of it's better days. You will be much better served to find a place that is charming & welcoming, a place that truly wants & value you as a guest, unfortunately it's not the Wine Valley Inn ! ! ! ! !

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience that was caused to you during your stay at our Solvang property. We also apologize for the decline in service you have mentioned in your review. I will have a meeting with all my team members so that our customer service improves and not declines, because one of our goals here at the Wine Valley is to have great customer service. We will be working hard with the improvement of all of our rooms so that we can have happy guest with the layout and service we provide. Thank you again for the feedback as this will help us improve tremendously our property.

Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Hello my name is Roxana, my husband and I recently stayed up the Wine Valley Inn & Cottages for a mini vacation get away to celebrate our 50th birthday and 25th wedding anniversary.
We were very satisfied with the hotel. The rooms were very well kept, clean and very spacious. All the amenities they offer to their guests are fantastic. We loved their complementary hot breakfast! not very many hotels offer hot breakfast, usually it is just a continental breakfast, but they go all the way for their guests. Above all the good things they have great staff, from the front desk to the ladies in charge of the dining area, very friendly, and accommodating. I would definitely come back and invite all my friends and everyone out there that wants to come to Solvang to stay is this great place.

Room Tip: Rooms of the same floor level are more appropiate
Corona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We enjoyed our stay in your Cottages. I found your facilities to be clean, well stocked and of course "Pet Friendly". Wolfee also enjoyed his stay and loved your friendly staff. The Cottages are breath taking, lovely, clean and very relaxing. The wine & cheese in your lobby makes for a nice and relaxing end of day. We visit Solvang often and have stayed in numerous B&Bs, Inns and motels, none compare to the Wine Valley Inn. We will be back time after time. Bottom line, we Love the Wine Valley Inn & Cottages. For anyone visiting Solvang, we highly recommend the Wine Valley Inn & Cottages. Want to be pleasantly surprised?, stay in one of there lovely Cottages you will not regret it

Room Tip: I my opinion, the Cottages are the best value. Comfortable and very private.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We booked a quick one night trip to the Wine Valley Inn & Cottages for a couple winery pick up parties on January 18, 2014.

That evening, tired from a long day of tasting and ready for some R&R, we turned on the cute in-room fireplace to warm the chill out of the air. Unfortunately, the fireplace didn't work...and the chill remained. We called the front desk, but learned that there was no maintenance on site and all other rooms were booked. Stuff happens, we had blankets, all was still going to be fine.

We prepared for some bedtime reading, pulled down the covers and, voila!, a medium sized "pincher" bug was belly up right underneath my pillow. Again, understanding that Solvang is a touch rural (though this property is as "in the city" as any in town), things like this may happen from time to time. Desk staff were courteous and nice, offered to immediately change sheets and sent up a bottle of local wine. Again, a nice response, but the stay was getting a little too "rough around the edges" for our taste.

Finally, it was time to achieve that evening read on the iPad and maybe some local news...but guess what? The "free" internet was completely out...and, somehow, that knocked out our television service as well. There was nothing left to do but get some sleep in the bug bed, without a heater and no entertainment. Easier said than done.

With images of pincher bugs still dancing in my head, I tossed and turned (a couple times honestly believing little creatures were touching my skin) until 3 am when fatigued finally won and I passed out. But not for long. By 5 am music started pouring out of the speakers at the breakfast room directly below our 2nd floor window. Maybe a pincher bug hit the "on" switch early, maybe they just didn't care about guests' sleep, I don't know - but the two hours sleep I was allotted was now over. But, thankfully, so was our stay. I thought.

We arrived back home later that afternoon to unpack, and a friend had joined us. A LIVE pincher bug hopped out of/off the suitcase and made a beeline toward our dresser. Thankfully I caught him in time and killed him. Ah...but the memories of this trip won't die.

I called management today and, because I booked through an external site, they could not refund my money. They did, however, thank me for reporting this and have made a reservation for me at a much reduced rate plus an upgrade for my next trip there. I can honestly say that I don't know that I could make another trip to this property, but it was a gesture, nonetheless. Perhaps we can give it a midweek shot sometime down the road.

Though I believe a full refund and a free stay would have been more appropriate for the absolute level of creepiness of this trip, I very much have to say that front desk and phone staff during our stay, and the manager via telephone after our stay were very thoughtful and kind. If the actual property matched their level of sincerity and kindness, this place would be a five star resort without an availability every day of the year.

Thanks again are due to the staff for their efforts, sorry about unfortunate circumstances that led to this review.

Room Tip: Unless changes are made - or unless you naturally get up before 5 am, stay away from rooms on the ba...
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I had a wonderful time whole on a personal sabbatical from work. Everything was good including the price. The beds were very comfortable and I enjoyed being close to the center of town.

Frances at the front desk was wonderful and can help you with anything!

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Been to Wine Valley Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!