“Construction on site ruined our stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
SPA Special
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Vegas
“Construction on site ruined our stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

When making reservations we were never told that the hotel was under construction. Hammers banged from as early as 7 am until sunset. Stairways were blocked as construction workers sat on them empeding any foot traffic. Since my stay was non refundable I was stuck there. Otherwise I would have gone to a more peaceful location. After a seven hour drive I didn't get any sleep. If they would have disclosed their construction plans beforehand it would have been the honest thing to do.

• Stayed November 2013
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Please accept our most sincere apologies for not notifying you ahead of time of the renovation process that is currently happening at Wine Valley Inn. Please know that the renovation process is for the better of all our present and future guest because by doing such improvements, we all benefit with better access points to the rooms and with a better conditions in every room. We really hope you can reconsidered staying with us once all the renovation process is complete so that you may see all the positive improvement we have made to our already clean property.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We just returned from a 3 night stay at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages. The check-in and check-out process was very easy and the staff who helped us were both very friendly and professional. We found our room to be clean and fresh when we checked in and every day when we returned from our sightseeing. The bed was comfortable and we were satisfied with the room amenities. The breakfast was substantial and we were pleased with the food choices. We did not visit the wine bar so I'm not able to rate that.

The only thing I would change/request is a light in the shower area. This wasn't a problem when showering in the morning/daylight hours. However, if showering at night it's very dark in there.

All in all we would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room towards the back of the property and it was very quiet and private.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking a minute out of your busy schedule to provide us and future guest with your review on Wine Valley Inn and Cottages. We are glad to hear that our highly trained team members did not have you wait a long time while you were checking-in; that both check-in and check-out went smooth, and that overall, you found our rooms spacious and immaculate. Thank you for letting us know about the small issue you had with the shower light, our maintenance team member worked promptly at fixing that small issue. We hope you will be able to consider staying with us next time you visit beautiful Solvang California.

Gilroy, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

My husband and I stay here every time we come to Solvang, about 2-3 times a year. We love the location. Usually we stay in a junior suite but this time we were upgraded to a grand suite which was very nice. It was like staying in an apartment. Since my husband gets up much earlier in the morning than I do, it was nice for him to have a separate room to go to. The staff was very friendly and has always been accomodating. We have certainly never had the difficulties mentioned in one of the previous reviews. We will continue to return and would certainly not hesitate to recommend the property to others.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at Wine Valley Inn and Cottages. We are happy to hear that you are a returning guest and that you stay with us between two/three times a year. We hope you enjoy all the amenities we offer such as free Wi-Fi, parking and hot continental breakfast. Yes, all of our team members are friendly and accommodating to all the needs of our valued guest. Thank you again for been a loyal Wine Valley Inn guest and for the wonderful review you have provided us.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We've been staying here for 7 years. We love the rooms and cottages. The old world feel, hospitality and ambiance is what keeps us coming back. Not all rooms are decorated the same which is a lovely touch. It is definitely a unique place to stay, not cookie cutter. Cottage #2 has become our favorite. Some small things to note on our last stay some of the jacuzzi jets were not working, missed the robes (they were provided last stay), we went out to walk and when we returned the small stained glass on the entry door was broken. I really hope it gets repaired soon, its such a lovely cottage. Hopefully it stays as lovely with the new administration! Hint, Hint!!!!!! We hope to back next year...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for taking a few minutes out of your busy schedule to provide us and future guest with your feedback on your recent stay at Wine Valley Inn. We are glad that you are a returning guest and that you have been for the past seven years. As you are aware, all our team members are highly trained at providing the best customer service and we are glad to hear that they are doing just so. Thank you for bringing the issues you encountered with your room on your recent stay, we are working hard of fixing the issues mentioned and we are also working hard at remodeling the properly; for this I ask you for patience, as in the long run it will be for the better of everyone. Thank you again for the wonderful comments.

Kindly,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located in down town Solvang. You can walk everywhere you need to go which was really nice. We parked our car & did not need to use it until we checked out 2 days later. The outside of the hotel is very cute & there were nice outdoor sitting areas with fire places. Now for the negatives. Our room was on the 2nd floor, but I felt a strong connection to the 3rd floor....I could hear the people above us roll over in bed, use the restroom at 5am & other "unmentionable" sounds. The mattress was too firm for me & the pillows were pretty flat. The breakfast was absolutely horrible, everything was microwaved frozen foods & watery powdered eggs. Thank goodness were able to walk to a nice breakfast the next day just down the street. Only a fabulous room rate could get me to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013
We are happy to hear that you found our hotel to your liking and you liked the location as Wine Valley Inn and Cottages is located at the heart of Solvang. As you have stated above, there are many stores within walking distance to the hotel. We always try to maintain a clean environment so that all of our guest can enjoy their stay at our property to its fullest. Please apologize us for the inconvenience caused to you during you stay at our property. We are working hard on improving the conditions of the beds and pillows. We hope you were able to enjoy our free Wi-Fi and parking. Thank you again for the feedback you have provided.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our 1 year anniversary, and bought a package that included a dinner at the nearby Solvang Brewing Company, and a bottle of wine in our room. We stayed in one of the cottages, which was fairly expensive for the area but we wanted the private hot tub. The room was not exceptional but nice, spacious, and the location was excellent, in the heart of Solvang. The fenced-in porch with the hot tub was not very stylish, reminding me of the assisted living community where my grandmother used to live. But come on, it's a private hot tub, and we did have fun, and I would have given the place an above average review. However...

The included bottle of wine in our room was white-- a Bridlewood Reserve Viognier. My wife and I prefer reds, so we asked the guy at the front desk if it would be possible to get a bottle of red instead. A Pinot, a Cab, whatever. We are not picky people AT ALL. I told him we would be happy to take a less expensive bottle. There were other, cheaper bottles of red from Bridlewood at the honor bar, so it certainly seemed possible. He said he would check on it with his manager, so we left for a couple hours and walked around Solvang, did some shopping and went to two tasting rooms.

When we returned, I asked the guy again about the wine. He had not checked into it. He returned with another woman who pours the wine in the inn. And she was IMMEDIATELY hostile and condescending. She said it simply wasn't possible to change the bottles. When I asked why it was such a problem, and why couldn't we work something out, she said:

"Well you are obviously drunk so it's going to take you longer to understand."

WHAT?!

With this comment she instantly escalated the situation from a 3 to a 10. I had two tastings in over two hours, which added up to around two glasses of wine. Believe me, I was not anywhere close to being "drunk." She continued to treat me with hostility and escalate the argument with aggressive accusations and argument tactics.

I have never been treated that way by someone in the hospitality business, and when you pay over $300 for a one night package, it's ridiculous to be treated that way. I would have gladly paid a little extra for a red wine if an equal or less expensive bottle wasn't available. If she had even answered politely, and said something like, "I'm so sorry, it's a package deal, but I understand it's not your preference... Can I offer you a glass of wine in our restaurant?" I would have been completely satisfied, and probably would have ended up spending more money at their inn and giving the woman a nice tip. That's how hospitality is supposed to work.

I would like the owner and manager of this hotel to ask themselves if the price of subbing out a red wine, any red wine -- or offering some other simple consolation-- would have cost more than the value of me now giving negative reviews on every hotel review site where this hotel is listed, and advising my friends not to stay at this inn. Truly astounding. There are too many fun places to stay in Solvang to deal with this kind of "customer service."

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is a great little place to stay, and right in the heart of Solvang. Perfect for a getaway with friends or a romantic weekend. Service was friendly. Rooms were nicely updated with modern white beds and colored paint, and even had a little fridge which was handy. The lounge area and outdoor area had fireplaces to sit at which was nice. Breakfast was included and it was much more than expected with eggs, sausage, hash browns, waffles, pastries and more. I was impressed with the value of this hotel and would totally stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment out of your busy schedule to provide us and future guest with your feedback on our Solvang property. We are very much delighted to hear that you found our hotel to your liking and that our free continental breakfast exceeded your expectations. As you saw during your stay at Wine Valley Inn, our free continental breakfast consists of pastries, waffles, cereal, hashbrowns, sausages, eggs, freshly brewed coffee and orange juice. All the rooms are also equipped with an honor bar which include such items as bottled water, soft drinks, snacks and wine. The surrounding area here at Wine Valley is also nice and cozy, and our front desk team members are always at your service. Thank you once more for the wonderful feedback you have on Wine Valley Inn and Cottages.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Wine Valley Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!