“nice and charming” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Pasadena, California
“nice and charming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I actually found several options to stay in Solvang, but this particular Inn looked very charming and special from the photos. And while it didn’t quite look exactly as nice as the photos, I have to say that it was still a very warm and comfortable place. We stayed in one of the Village Tower deluxe rooms which included a fireplace and they also included a starter log free of charge and it was a nice bonus to have a real fire to warm up the room in the evening. The bed was on the soft side, not good on the back, and it also had some stains on the sheets, which should have been white but clean enough I suppose. The ceiling was nice and high, bathroom and shower were good size (though shower head pressure was on the weak side), the toiletries were high quality and the included breakfast was very good. We had a nice assortment of cold and hot food with fruit and juice.

The Inn is convenient located nearby the downtown area and also nearby several restaurants. However, when going out at night, make sure you don’t stay out too late as there are almost no street lights at night and most shops close early. We finished dinner in the downtown area around 9 pm and found ourselves walking in complete darkness for 5-10 minutes. We didn’t try the wine-tasting in the lobby area, but we did see some guests enjoying themselves there. Overall, this an Inn that we would definitely consider returning on any future trips to Solvang.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main lobby are quieter
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment out of your busy schedule to provide us with your personal review on our property. I want to personally thank you for choosing us from several other properties around the area. We are very much pleased that you were very happy with the free log we provided you with so that you could start the fireplace. We have addressed the small issues you encountered and you'll be happy to know that those issues have been fixed. Again, thank you for having decided to stay with us and we hope to see you next time you are in the Solvang area.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Redondo Beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband, myself and another couple stayed 2 nights at Wine Valley Inn to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I mind you, we have stayed at this place for the last several years and were never dissapointed. This time around though it was pretty bad.

We booked a standard room and were put in a room on the main floor with no option to open the curtains and with people walking by at every hr of the day. Not to mention how dusty and dirty the room was - I assume the maids cant see the dirt since the room is so dark - even with the lights on. Then the shower curtain stunk to kingdom hell - moldy and slimey. So they came to replace that. Then the bathroom sink kept clogging up, so we constantly had the maintenance and cleaning people in the room. Why do I have to tell them what is wrong with their room ??? I booked our room 7 months in advance and this is what they stick you in...And why is that room even a hotel room ?? That room is a punishment and not a standard room. I did not even know they had awful rooms like that...

I was so dissapointed that after all these years at the hotel we were put in that shabby room. So I talked to the front desk about my dissapointment and asked for an upgrade or change to a different standard room and was told that they were sold out for the weekend. So we go to dinner, it's 8:00 PM and my phone rings with the hotel asking me if I wanted another room, they just got a cancelation. Well, I mind you, I am at dinner and will not get up and leave to change rooms. So we declined and were left in misery for the rest of the weekend.
What upset us the most was the rudeness from the front desk and that sealed the deal that we will never stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Sandra H, General Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience while visiting Solvang and staying at Wine Valley Inn. Please accept my sincere apology for the disturbing condition of your guest room, lack of sense of urgency to address your maintenance issues completely, and the lack of customer service that resulted in an interruption of your dinner with the move that should have happened at the first sign your guest room did not meet the standard you have come to know and enjoy while staying at Wine Valley Inn. I can assure you this was an isolated incident and I will work closely with my team to improve our service on each and every level. I truly hope you will reconsider your decision not to return to Wine Valley Inn for another stay and allow me the opportunity to personally arrange for your next stay.

Best Regards,
Oxnard
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

A couple of friends and I went to Solvang to see a concert at the Chumash Casino and stayed at Wine Lovers Inn. We arrived Thursday night so check in was easy. Our "room" was actually a suite...new paint, carpet, bathroom fixtures, fireplace, and there was a bonus room adjoining with bunk beds and another tv. The beds were comfy, the breakfast was good, plenty of choices and the grounds were beautiful...outdoor fireplace, seating, all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. We will definitely stay there again when we go up wine tasting.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking a moment out of your busy schedule to provide us, and future guests with your feedback on your most recent stay at Wine Valley Inn and Cottages. It brings us great joy to hear all the amazing compliments you have about our property. From what you have just described about the cleanliness of the hotel, it means that every single team member is doing their part of maintaining the property as impeccable as possible. We hope you were able to enjoy fully our breakfast as it consists of eggs, bacon, potatoes, oatmeal, fruits and juices of all kinds, and many more items. Thank you again for the wonderful compliments and we hope to see you next time you are in the Solvang area.

Kindly,
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Check In was BUSY with many guests but handled efficiently. We reserved the PCPA Theater package which included a bottle of wine for each room per their website...which we did not get get the wine but, no big deal as I mentioned it to the desk the next morning; they were very apologetic and extremely nice about it and then...after the first night, the 6 of us (3 couples in chateau king rooms) were told that there's construction work going on and we were asked very politely and courteously to please vacate the rooms at our convenience with no rush...what we never expected was each couple being moved into one of their 3 cottages! They're awesome!
Each had a very different character and all could seat the 6 (and our wine) of us comfortably.
The theater seats were terrific center seats with all 6 of us in 1 row.
A little confusion at check out that was professionally, courteously and nicely handled and, in fact, for my father-in-laws trouble and waiting, they gave him another bottle of wine...
Overall, a wonderful place with lots of outdoor seating, a fireplace and even a koi pond; lots of parking, a great staff and manager, great breakfast, great theater tickets and all of us had a tremendous time with the surprise luxury of the cottage experience. I highly recommend the Wine Valley Inn to all who plan on staying in Solvang! Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
We are extremely happy to hear of the wonderful experience you had while staying at Wine Valley Inn and Cottages. It is always a pleasure to hear of how an awesome experience our guest had while at our property. Because it is by events such as the one you described that make us have loyal and returning guests. I am satisfied with the approach our team members took to help you ease the transition from one room to the other, and how apologetic they were during the little misunderstanding you had during the check out process. I thank you personally for cooperating with us during your whole stay at our property. Thank you and we hope to see you next time you are in the Solvang area.

Kindly,
Boulder, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was our second visit to the WVI. The location, grounds and breakfast are all wonderful. The rooms feel like they could really stand to be updated. Carpet, walls, furniture, plumbing fixtures. I didn't feel comfortable sitting on the couch and I am not a germaphobe at all! The location almost makes it worth it but next time I will probably look at other properties.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandra H, General Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for returning to Wine Valley Inn for another visit, please accept my apology we did not meet your expectation regarding the condition of the room and furnishings from your last visit. I agree they are way over do for a makeover and am pleased to let you know that although we do not have a date set yet, we do have plans to upgrade everything.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for additional information on our bright future. It will be a pleasure to have you as our guest in the future and once again enjoy the comfort you have come to expect and know at Wine Valley Inn

Bonsall, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had four couples I was planning a Christmas get-away for. Went to Wine Valley Inn website, checked out the rooms, rates, etc. Then went to our group with the rates and info and all agreed it was a go. I made the reservations but when I got the "Confirmation" there was no mention of rates. I went to their website again and verified the same rates but then called to verify. I talked to Sandy. She said the rates on their website were not the rates. OK, I said lets walk though it on your website. Sure enough the rates came up the same. She put me on hold for about 10 minutes. When she came back, she said let's try walking through the website again and, "surprise" there was a red banner saying rates were not available. I said you changed something as I had printed out the rates for that day and they were the same lower rates when I reserved the rooms. She told me those rates were not their current rates but If I wanted the higher rates my reservations were fine. I told her to cancel the reservations. I found another place where they confirmed the rates they had on their website. I spent several weeks getting the short trip planned based on Wine Valley Inn website only to find out they wouldn't honor their own prices. Definitely false advertising and I will never stay there.

Room Tip: We didn't stay there, but planned a trip for December only to find out their website prices were...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Please accept my apology for the complete mix up on the rates on all the sites we looked at as well as any inconvenience our technical difficulties caused. Unfortunately rates do change throughout the day and week, however as I promised in our phone conversation we have a best rate guarantee and if you would provide me with the rate you saw on any other site or were quoted , we definitely would honor them. I am sorry to hear you booked at another hotel and hope you change your mind and plans in hopes you would return to Wine Valley Inn through Christmas.

Newhall, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Upon arrive the front desk girls were very sweet and helpful. The room was just ok. I'm told it's very nice for Solvang. There was plenty of room in the 2 level suite. Room 47. A bit worn and dated but nothing horrible. The grounds are very pretty and quiet. We had a glass of wine on the patio in the afternoon. The reason I am rating this place "average" is because we had a noise issue in our room at night. It sounded like a helicopter was flying overhead... humming and walls vibrating. We figured out that we were near the air conditioning unit and when we turned the air off and on the humming noise changed. I'm pretty sure the unit needed repair. After a few late night calls to the front desk we decided to try to get some sleep regardless. Thankfully my husband had ear plugs and I had a bottle of wine! The staff was kind though there really was nothing they could do. The property was fully booked so we couldn't move rooms. The manager did offer a discount at check out which we appreciated. We may return and give them a second try.

Room Tip: I'd try to get a cottage. The south facing rooms have more privacy. The 2 level rooms are worth...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Wine Valley Inn and the kind words of appreciation of the customer service provided by our front desk. Please accept my apology for the lack of sleep due to the noise created by the AC unit in the Loft Suite Although we will address this permanently through the winter, it has been temporarily repaired to ensure it will not interrupt a restful night.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any additional feedback, questions, and concerns. I look forward to the opportunity to have you return for another stay.

Sandra Hallmann, GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solvang
Hotel Corque
Santa Ynez Inn
Santa Ynez Inn
#1 of 3 in Santa Ynez
5.0 of 5 stars 286 reviews

Been to Wine Valley Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!