“Good Motel, Good Location” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
SPA Special
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Los Angeles
“Good Motel, Good Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This motel would not have been my first choice, but I got the room at a decent price on a third party website, so I was satisfied. The location is very good. It is set back from the main street, and its location provides a easy walk to many shops and restaurants. I checked in at 9pm on a Sunday, and found the place a bit noisy. My room (45) faced the parking lot and had very old, thin windows. There was a dog barking in the hallway. And there was a stairway door outside my room that kept slamming. I asked for another room but was told the motel was sold out. It didn't seem like it, but I suppose it is possible. I suggest requesting a room, either away from the front parking lot, or to the east of the lobby. The room itself was just fine--comfortable, clean and spacious. There was an in-room fridge, large safe, and a nice selection of shampoo, lotion, etc. The Wi-Fi was very slow--even in the lobby. The included breakfast was excellent. They offered scrambled eggs, sausage and hash browns. Plus pastries, fruit, cereal, etc. Plus the kitchen/wait staff were very nice.The lobby is very nice and had an indoor-outdoor fireplace. The back-area, where the cottages were located, seemed very tranquil. At 8am, there was a fire in the outdoor fireplace--neat! So if you get a good price, you may very well overlook its negatives.

Room Tip: Request a room not facing the street parking lot. Careful on the end unit. Stairs were convenient bu...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is within walking distance to all the shops. We stayed in a loft which was okay. I would recommend a different room. Living room and restroom downstairs, bed upstairs. Quite an inconvenience. Next time I will look for a non-pet room. I felt a little unsettled being in a pet-friendly room. Even though the staff does a good job with cleanliness, some of the guests didn't comply with the rules. I didn't feel comfortable sitting on their couches and the floors did have some stains as well as an odor. Their breakfast was delicious. Overall, this hotel is nice, I just wished they would have some rooms blocked for those who have allergies to pets. Also thank you for the welcome basket!

• Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here many times. The rooms are large and very nice. Our only 2 complaints are that they NEVER allow you to check in early and sometimes they are even running later than check in time (3:00), and that they are dog friendly but charge $25 per dog per night! That increases the rate $50 a night for us. I understand there are irresponsible dog owners out there but we are not and our 2 small dogs are well mannered. One $25 pet fee would be reasonable.

• Stayed May 2012
Vienna, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Hotel Quick Tips:
1. Front desk check-in was fine; they had a nice selection of free info on the area available
2. They have a small front parking lot and a larger back parking lot. In the dark, the back lot was a little tricky to find. We also had trouble finding the right cut-through from the back parking lot (once again in the dark). I would suggest you don’t grab any luggage from your car, just find your room first, or you may be disoriented like us dragging heavy luggage further than you have to.
3. Excellent location to many of the shops and places to eat
4. They had several outdoor fire places with seating areas that remained lit late into the night
5. WiFi not powerful enough for my laptop use (they had two computers for guests use in their main sitting room)
6. Refrigerator and large selection of for purchase snacks placed in the room (I am NOT a fan of this)
7. I rarely make cleanliness comments, but the bedside table had what appeared to be a soda sticky spill along the side of it
8. Room (#51) is the smallest room I have ever stayed in (and I frequent places like Hampton Inn, Best Western, etc)
9. Beds were fine
10. Nice free breakfast that included even eggs and meats, whole pieces of fruit, yogurt and the freshest pastries (I saw them delivered at about 6AM)

I decided to book all my hotels through Hotwire on this 9 day vacation, to give the website a fair try. The Wine Valley Inn was my ‘sight unseen’ booking for Solvang. I stayed two nights. I keep very busy on vacations and do not spend much time in my hotel room so normally room size doesn’t faze me; but the room was absolutely tiny. Also the free WiFi had terrible reception. As a way to wind down for the evening when I travel, I like to up-load a few photos to Facebook of my day’s adventures; I could not get the connection needed to do this. Our room was right by the stairwell, but we did not find noise to be a problem.

To end on a high note…their patio fireplaces were charming places to keep company. Also the bakery fresh pastries (I saw them being delivered at 6AM as I was on an EST sleep schedule) were such a ‘sweet’ surprise.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
North America
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed here on several occasions and each time (and room) is different in a good way. This is not a hotel for people who need a chain hotel experience...this is like traveling in Europe, each room is quirky & unique but very comfortable and clean. The staff feels like family and you will find yourself at the front desk chatting and laughing with other guests if you are at all outgoing. They keep track of what you like (such as a requesting a window that opens) and always go out of their way to accomadate any requests. The steps are in need of updating but I think they are in the process of doing that, so enough said. It has great parking in the rear, and is a wonderful hotel to venture out from as a home base into Solvang. Take an evening stroll and look at the shops lit up at night...a little breath of Scandinavia <3

Room Tip: The tower rooms are all I've ever had and each one if different from the others. Ask for a descr...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Vienna, Austria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We just stayed there for one night on our way from Monterey to L.A. On the outside and on pictures it looks really nice - from the inside ... well not so much. Our rooms window was facing the outside corridor, where people walked by - so either you are on display - or you have to sit in the dark with shades closed. There was a bit strange smell in the room.

The receptionist was very bored - as it was 4th July, she could have mentioned something about where the party and the fireworks are. Nobody there to help with the suitcases.

The breakfast was disaster - at least for someone who cares to eat healthy. But the good news is, there are wonderful danish coffee shops around with excellent coffee and goodies.

If you're on your way to L.A. and have kids, make a stop at Seein'Spots Farm with the Miniature Donkeys - you can pet them.

Room Tip: A lot of rooms have their windows facing the outside corridor, where people walk by. If you don'...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Canyon Country, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Taking advantage of a Living Social deal ($95/night), we booked a quick Easter/anniversary getaway to the Wine Valley Inn. We arrived early, but told Casey (assistant manager) that we would gladly walk around town and grab some lunch while our room was being prepared.

Casey chose a beautiful room for us (104). He warned that while the room did not have a fireplace, it made up for that in lots of other ways and he was so right: the comfortable king-bed room was immaculate, large and airy, with hardwood floors and its own gated patio. The bathroom area took over the back portion of the room: two sinks, a large tub and a separate, beautifully tiled very large shower with both a regular shower head and a hand-held shower attachment. There were plenty of soft towels and Gilchrist & Soames toiletries (both in the shower area and by the two sinks.

The room also had a flat-screen TV, fridge, coffee maker, and "honor bar" with wine, liquor, sodas and bottled water. The sodas and water were $1.50 each -- not all that out of line. The Living Social deal also included a gift basket, and it was loaded with cheese, crackers, cookies, sausage, and a bottle of wine from one of the local wineries. We had a great "happy hour" on our patio.

The hotel offers what they call a "continental" breakfast, but beyond the usual pastries, toast, etc. they also offered scrambled eggs, sausage, hash browns, cereal, yogurt, and oatmeal. While it's nothing fancy, it's a fine way to grab a quick bite to start your day. And, at least this morning, they were serving until 10:30. It's been my experience that most hotels stop serving at 9am, and since I'm there on vacation, I don't really want to have to get up early just to get an English muffin! :-)

The entire staff was friendly and helpful. Since it was Easter Sunday, we wondered which restaurants were open, and Casey called the visitor's bureau on our behalf to scout out a few possibilities. While we didn't go to their daily wine bar, we did see that plenty of people were enjoying tasting wines from the nearby wineries.

There is plenty of hotel parking, as well as a public lot across the street. The hotel's location, on a quiet side street, is an easy walk to shops and restaurants.

All in all, this was a perfect anniversary getaway, and I hope it's not another year until we can return to the Wine Valley Inn.

Room Tip: Room 104 was great.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Wine Valley Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!