“Charming Cottage, Need Some Updates” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
SPA Special
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Evanston, Illinois
“Charming Cottage, Need Some Updates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My new husband and I spent our honeymoon at Wine Valley Inn. We loved the town of Solvang and the hotel setting. However, we both felt that the cottages could have used a little updating. While everything was clean, the carpeting and furniture seemed a little old and dingy. There was a lovely hot tub that was very clean and well maintained. The fireplace in our cottage barely worked. Essentially for the price, we were disappointed in the quality.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
SoCal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We've stayed at the Wine Valley Inn since before they were the Wine Valley Inn. Over time we learned the booking rules. Don't book into the "Chateau", there is a big window facing the sleeping loft that is only partly covered by a curtain, so as soon as the sun comes up the room is very bright. Over in the "Village" every room is different. We avoided certain room classes to avoid things like the room where the sink is next to the bed. It was a quirky, but decent, place to stay.

Not so much in 2012. I had reservations for three different weekends at one point. I cancelled the middle of the three reservations. A few days before the first of the reservations I got the normal e-mail reminding me of my upcoming reservation. But when we arrived we were told the reservation had been cancelled. They apparently cancelled all three reservations at the hotel when I cancelled one online, but online they still showed the other two reservations. Fortunately there was a very helpful woman at the desk, and she found us a room that was acceptable, although not what I had reserved.

Next trip up they informed us that they had eliminated the type of room I had reserved, having converted them all to another type of room. Again, we negotiated an acceptable room, although it was not what I had reserved.

I had one more reservation, which I cancelled. As its date came up I checked online, and it showed cancelled. I figured I'd wait and see if I got the e-mail about an upcoming stay and, if so, call. No e-mail, so I figured I was good. We took off in the morning for our stay at another property. When I got home at the end of the weekend there was a message on my answering machine saying they wanted me to know that the type of room I had reserved was no longer available, but that they had changed my reservation to an equivalent room, a Chateau Suite (i.e., a type of room I would never have reserved.) Why they would call me a few hours before their check-in time thinking they would catch me at home is beyond me, but they did. I never got charged for a no-show, but that may have been because they had an old expiration date for my credit card.

Bottom line: The Wine Valley Inn is now totally flaky, and we're not going near it again.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Having read the reviews I was skeptical about the standard rooms; that was leaving too much to chance, so we splurged and went with the cottages. I thought they were very expensive (with tax, total for one night over $300+) but turns out it was a good move because the two story cottage was worth it, the kitchenette was useful for cold drinks, the hot tub in the back patio was awesome to use on the cool (and slightly rainy night). The fireplace was super too. It was quiet, the kids stayed downstairs and had a great time in their own space. There was a full bath upstairs and a half bath downstairs. It wasn't worn and old like some of the other reviewers said about the guest rooms; everything was in good repair and nice. Towels were scarce so I had to go to the office to get more. The lobby area was nice and they kept the breakfast which was completely adequate, clean and filled. The gardens themselves between the cottages were very pretty and decorated for Christmas. We even took the kids' photo there for our Christmas Cards. The location couldn't be beat and we did all our sightseeing from shopping to Mass at the Mission without taking out the car. It was a great one night visit, but Solvang itself, along with the prices, made that plenty of time. This is a very tired city that once was cute and quaint but now totally needs a facelift. I wasn't expecting any bargains but the prices for everything were outrageous... from food to hotel rooms. Also, I made the reservation online at their website in advance where I was supposed to be getting a "advance purchase rate" of 20% off. There is a rate for something like 14 days in adv and a rate of 10% less if it's 7 day advance but no matter what I checked, the cottage rates were always the same so I am not sure you really do get a discount. If I had to come back or recommend a place for others to stay, I would recommend the Wine Valley Inn and Cottages.

Room Tip: Go with the Cottages!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Des Moines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Postives - The lobby is a great place to hang out and have a glass of wine in the evening. Nice fireplace. Outdoor garden seating area looks fantastic if the weather is nice outside. Breakfast is more than adequate. Hot food and cold food fills you up. Close to everything in Solvang (wineries, brew pub, shops, etc). Free parking. Nice staff.
Not so positive (but not bad enough for me to call it a negative) - rooms need a little updating. I am not high maintanence but I could see some of my friends who are used to 5 star accommadations thinking the above. But there is a big difference in price between this hotel and a 5 star.... so deal with it. We stayed in the loft.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Heading down to Santa Barbara, needed a bed for the night. Wine Valley Inn was cheap and clean. The hotel is dated and the room had visible wear and tear, it was also pretty cold (frosty night) and the heating system in the room was unbearably loud.

Net net, it's a good stop off point. The photos on the website make it feel like a quaint boutique type hotel, but when you get into the room, it's essentially a motel in a quaint building. Service was fine, breakfast was nothing special - fuel for the road.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
CALIFORNIA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed in a Junior Suite with a Living Social deal for $99 for one night, Sunday to Thursday. It was a large room with a fireplace and refrigerator (very small, on the floor near the bed and noisy at night). The bathroom was large and very nice since it had been updated. Some of the other furniture and decor was dated. The grounds were very well maintained and nice. There was also an outside fireplace and chairs. Rental bikes are available. Breakfast was good with scrambled eggs and sausage/bacon, fresh pastry, cereals, yogurt, waffles, juice, etc. in a very nice room. The front desk was very accommodating. The king bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Paradise, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed there on 11/20/12. Our room was clean and good sized. No microwave, but had refrigerator. The establishment appears to have been around for a while since the carpet is wearing and the bedskirt needed to be replaced, but overall the room was fine. The landscaping is beautiful and well kept with beautiful flowers and wonderfully manicured shrubs. The cottage area is lovely with running water in the pond. The breakfast was very good and staff were continually replenishing as the food started to run low. Very impressed that the eating area was set up with linen napkins and silverware. It is in a good location close to all the shops and bakeries. Very nice stay. Next time we want to spend an additional night because there is so much to see and stay in a cottage!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solvang
Hotel Corque
Santa Ynez Inn
Santa Ynez Inn
#1 of 3 in Santa Ynez
5.0 of 5 stars 280 reviews

Been to Wine Valley Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!