“Be Careful of the room you reserve” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
SPA Special
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Fountain Valley, California
“Be Careful of the room you reserve”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Never never stay in room 212. It was awful. You have zero privacy....on two sides you have stairs to the 3rd floor rooms with hallways to other units on the 2nd floor, and it is about 4 feet from the elevator door and opposite the main stairs to the first floor. You cannot leave your blinds open. I felt like I was in a cave. If you dont' mind people walking above you since the building is old the floor makes noise. We had the people above us walking around at 5 am on a Sat morning. Early risers I guess. No elevator to the 3rd floor rooms in our building so get ready to lug your baggage up a flight of stairs. The room itself was large and very nice. They did have a full breakfast if you choose to save money but we ventured out into town where they have at least 3 very good breakfast places which I'd suggest. Try AJ Spurs for a steak dinner. Great deal and lots of food. It was off the main drag which was good, Might stay again if on the third floor only and was guaranteed a specific room as I now have the property layout of the rooms. Oh also the frig is a mini. 2' x 2' so don't bring tons of stuff to keep cold. They don't tell you that in the ad only that each room has a frig.

Room Tip: As noted in my comments NEVER accept room 212 and I'd stay on the 3rd floor unless you don't...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandra H, General Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, I am sorry the location of your Junior Suite compromised the comfort and enjoyment of what could have been a perfect stay. In the future you definitely can request a specific room and we will do our very best to be sure you are reserved in that room. With each room in the Village Tower being very different from the other it can be a bit of an adventure in choosing rooms until you get to know the property. I have to agree with your choices of restaurants, they are great.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This place is centrally located in Solvang but not on a busy street. It is a little bit of a maze as far as layout, but that is it's charm. It has a lot of outdoor sitting areas and a nice fireplace. Rooms are big and we had a junior suite (??) that was huge...two queens in one room and two twins in another, with a fireplace. That was room 302.. Their breakfast is marginal (kind of buttery eggs or sausage were only protein options...not a lot of healthy choices...no skim milk) but ok considering it is free. They have a wine tasting on site, and we found some nearby good restuaurants. I would say if you want to stay in town and you don't need a pool, this is a great option. If the breakfast were better I'd give it five stars.

Room Tip: It seems the rooms in the back MAY be quieter as some people sit outside up front in the early eveni...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

We were looking to spend a relaxing weekend and could have not found the most perfect place!
The front desk was so helpful, from the moment I called to when we checked in.
The room was great, perfect for the two of us traveling with a 3 year old.
The breakfast is delicious and the service excellent!
Even walking around the hotel ground is relaxing, everything is so well maintained!
Could not be more perfect for its convenient location, just a block away from the town center.
Go for a hike or strawberry picking, plenty to do besides walking around town!

• Stayed October 2012
Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

First let me say that we've always avoided staying in Solvang on our wine country trips because of its kitschy, touristy nature. So, our expectations were low when we took advantage of a Living Social Deal to book the Wine Valley Inn. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of our room (204), its updated bathroom and cleanliness, and its quiet location. Also, the complimentary breakfast was much better than average - it was the typical eggs, sausage, waffle fare but the quality and preparation of the food was very, very good; and the local Danish pastries were as good as could be. Parking was plentiful, complimentary, and convenient. Complimentary wi-fi was functional but slow. The Inn's location, one block off the main street, is an easy stroll to the downtown shops and restaurants. Unfortunate surprises included windows above eye level that we couldn't figure out how to open until the next morning, the split level (two steps) between bed and bath, and the weather-beaten paint on the exterior. Bottom line - we won't be so snobby about Solvang in future.

Room Tip: Ask about the windows.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

First time at this hotel and WOW. We stayed in cottage number 6. Beautiful room with vaulted ceilings and a private jacuzzi. Very clean, bed and sheets were very comfortable. Extremely happy with the room and service. We will be staying here again soon I hope.

• Stayed October 2012
Santa Clarita
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife and I booked Wine Valley Inn for a two night stay, looking for dog friendly lodging near Los Olivos, where we wanted to spend some time exploring. We were amused to read previous reviews, because it seemed that people either loved it or hated it, with not much in the middle ground. We stayed in one of the upstairs rooms with a loft bedroom, and found it quite adequate. The room was clean, quiet and comfortable. The room was an interesting layout, the loft providing lots of space in the sleeping area. Downstairs was a bit unusual, with the sink basin separate from the shower/commode room. An L-shaped sofa offered corner seating by the large louvered windows. We found the bed to be very comfortable, and with the a/c set at a normal level, the loft was not too warm. (Temps hit 95 in Solvang during the days we stayed.) The grounds are very attractive, with a meandering koi pond around the cottage area and cobblestone pavers throughout. There are several outside tables, including some next to an outdoor fireplace. Off the small lobby is a cozy sitting room, where evening wine is served. Adjacent is a large breakfast room, where an adequate self serve breakfast can be taken. Fare consists of cereals, danishes, waffles, breads for toast, scrambled eggs, sausage and hash browns.
All the staff that we encountered were friendly and helpful.
Overall, I think that this is an excellent place to stay for a visit to anywhere in the Santa Ynez Valley. Being sort of on the southwest end of the village, there is not as much vehicle and foot traffic as in other parts of Solvang.
My only criticism of Wine Valley Inn is their 5-7 evening wine reception. On our stay, they charged $5.50 for a glass of wine the first hour, and $7.50 per glass afterward. They were pouring Bridlewood, a very good quality wine, but with so many hotels providing complimentary evening wine, this is an imposition. Also, if an establishment charges for beverages, they should at least provide accompanying snacks other than one kind of cracker, and two kinds of cheese!
However, since we travel with our own wine and other sustenance, we can overlook this, especially since this hotel is so accomodating to pet owners. We would definitely return here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
El Segundo, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My new husband and I wanted nothing more than to love this place, I had come here before and had a great experience. But after moving rooms four times because of various disappointments-

-Broken curtains so you can see straight into the room
-Black long hairs on the sheets
-Broken jacuzzi
-Broken television

we were just thrilled to have gotten a nicer room for the same price- until we continued to have problems. We asked for a wine tour booked the following day one which they described to be in a limo with one other couple. The next morning I asked if this was done and it was not, but someone took care of it. NO APOLOGY. We show up for the wine tour and its not at all as described unless you consider a car a limo and one other couple to be four couples.

We got over all of this, until we returned from the wine tour to find my fiancé's family moose mug broken with a note next to it asking how much it was. When I went to the front desk they just said we don't take care of your personal property. It can't be replaced and cost isn't our concern but it would have been nice to have felt important enough to get an apology.

And thats it folks. I think if you have no expectations this place is clean and great but we were looking for a place to come back every year on our anniversary and we are cutting our trip short to get to another hotel as soon as possible.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandra H, General Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Wine Valley Inn, I am very sorry we fell short on a variety of maintenance issues and very concerned our customer service did not meet either of our expectations. Since your stay the cottage Jacuzzi is again in perfect condition and all other issues have been corrected. As was addressed at check-out it was my pleasure to provide you a complimentary wine tour due to our booking error. Lastly, on behalf of my housekeeping staff, I would like to extend my sincere apology for accidentally breaking your cup while cleaning your cottage, and although I cannot replace a family gift, I would like to replace the mug. I will follow up with you personally and it is my hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Sandra Hallmann

Been to Wine Valley Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!