“A charming, romantic getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Petersen Village Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1576 Mission Dr., Solvang, CA 93463   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Pismo Beach, California
“A charming, romantic getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Rich wood paneling, old-world feel, elegant décor, and charming details throughout. Each room has it's own personality with nice details everywhere you turn. An excellent staff eager to serve. Free early evening wine tasting in the beautiful lobby (check ahead for hours), free coffee and tea service (and ice) brought to your room, a truly excellent free continental breakfast buffet with table service coffee/tea/juice. Free WiFi, free parking. A few cons: some of the gorgeous wingback chairs in our room were showing wear, there was painting needing touch up in places. The property is older but well maintained. Our beautiful canopy bed had a too-soft mattress that seemed old and needing replacement. These cons did not at all spoil the wonderful pros of our experience.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the two courtyard/gardens are quieter, the corner rooms have more windows. Some roo...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Oslo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Had a pleseant stay here. Staff was super helpful with any request, parking right outside the door that we could stay at after check out. Comfortable room and free wifi, though with a tricky air condition :) All in all a good experience in Solvang.

Stayed June 2014
Lancaster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

It was so odd that I recognized that the poor reviews and the excellent reviews I had read on tripadvisor were all true - I just didn't care about the negative stuff. The room is large, had a fold out couch bed with a broken hinge - I just left the thing open. With all the room there was no refrigerator in which to store some of the excellent Solvang leftovers, nor was there a simple table on which I could set up my laptop. And, the wallpaper was starting to come up. The rooms seemed to have very little sound separation - as I was walking by a room I could hear the music as if I was in it. HOWEVER, nobody was next to my room, I didn't have much time to look at the wallpaper, I made do with the computer, etc. The room was lovely, clean, and did not smell of disinfectant. The price was acceptable with my Travelzoo discount, the bed was comfortable, and the service staff was sooo nice. It really felt like being in the large home of close friends. Finally, the complimentary breakfast was good. Two days in a row I had strawberries that were the best/sweetest I've had in years. The rest was simple, tasty, adequate. But where else these days do you get to sit down at a table with a tablecloth with a view of the courtyard and enough light to read, and are given a carafe of good coffee with a real, old fashioned cup and saucer. It just felt so good nibbling, sipping, and reading that I must have stayed there an hour each morning. I would not have expected that the dining room would be one of my favorite experiences on this trip. Other reviews have noted that the hotel is being updated. I just hope not too much.

Room Tip: After reading the reviews I had hoped to have dinner at the hotel restaurant. Open Table indicated i...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I enjoy getting the theater package every summer. For a very reasonable price one gets a nice room, theater tickets, gourmet three course dinner and a continental breakfast. A coupon for free wine tasting is also included.
It is a very good value!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed here for two nights, since we bought two (1 night each) vouchers from Travelzoo. Each voucher for a one night's stay included wine tasting coupons (3) and a "box of chocolates." We did not receive a box of chocolates, just 3 pieces of white confection. Since we used two Travelzoo vouchers, we should have received "two boxes of chocolates" but we did not receive even another piece of chocolate for our second night, nor did we receive any other wine tasting coupons except for the first 3. We were not off to good start.
The location is central, and convenient to the village. Our room was a good size, but the decor was very outdated. The pink carpeting was soiled and stained in traffic areas, and the "desk" in the room was wobbly to the point that I thought it would tip over whenever it was touched. Upholstered chairs and sofa/loveseat were also worn, and the supporting springs were gone. Each time you sat down, the seat would sink further down towards the floor. Tired and in need of an extreme facelift, this was indicative of the entire location. Staff was courteous.
Solvang village has also seen better days, but it still charming in it's own way. If you choose to stay here, be forewarned that the above conditions are the norm.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Wonny R, General Manager at Petersen Village Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear WorldWideTravelerCA,

Thank you for your time to write a review on your recent stay at Petersen Village Inn.

I am so sorry that we failed in our quest to provide world class service, and that we disappointed you in that and several other regards. As you had 2 Travel Zoo Vouchers, we should certainly have provided to sets of chocolates and 2 sets of wine tasting vouchers. On this occasion we fell short in some areas for which I apologize.

Please be assured that we have taken your comments to heart and worked to correct the shortcomings with enhanced training and processes.

In regards to our furniture and decor, we are happy to inform you that later this year we will start our long awaited renovations. All furniture and wall decorations will be replaced. We started our renovations by replacing most of our mattresses and all televisions. Next step was our Air Conditioning system that was updated to a state of the art system. Our rooms and public areas are next on the list. I invite you to visit our FaceBook page and/ website to get all the updates.

I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back at some point and provide you with the true, authentic Petersen Village Inn experience that is more indicative of our usual standards. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this further, and thank you for taking the time to provide your candid feedback.

Warm regards,

Wonny Rengersen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I asked for a quiet room and got one. But I hadn’t expected it to be so attractive and appealing, so I was delighted when I walked in. Later I ordered a steak dinner, expecting an okay meal: filet mignon is generally tender but not richly flavorful. This one was one of the very best I can remember. Everything on the plate was delicious, too. I even fell in love with my lovely, gracious server! And the desk staff--all of them were friendly and helpful, too. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, and when I’m again in Solvang, I’ll be happy to return to this place.

Room Tip: I think I stayed in 318. It was spacious, airy, clean and quiet. I liked the view, too.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Sacramento
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

We used a travel zoo coupon, so the price was great. However, were I to pay full price, I would have felt that the value wasn't there. The staff was friendly, I loved using the L'Occitane products, our room was very large and the canopy bed was fun. Though there was street voice, lots of trucks going by, we didn't notice the noise in our room. The breakfast was included with our coupon and included hard boiled eggs, fruit and nice Danish pastries. The down sides were that the decor is pretty outdated, there aren't any mini-frigs or safe, there was only one bar of soap, so we had to reach into the shower to grab soap to wash hands at sink… a little thing, but sort of weird. If you get a discounted rate, I paid $129, it was a great deal. If you have to pay full price at up to $250/nt., I would keep searching.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Petersen Village Inn? Share your experiences!